Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it pays of for intrepid
knifenut consumers to buy
in a brick and mortar store
just so they can physically
inspect each knife prior to
any form of purchase.

Even worse when you buy on line. I feel like you get the ones everyone else picked over and rejected.

I have four Benchmade all Triage models. All but the last one is perfect. It just doesn’t open like the first 3. Not really a warranted issue. Just not quite the same. Oh well.

Like the Op I’m done with them too. The Triage is their only model I like and I don’t need anymore.

I just don’t see the value in their knives. The two exceptions are the Anthem and the 87. It seems like they just did an incredible job of marketing and sales in the 90’s, pretty much continue to do so, and they still remain “the” brand. A person can go to just about any outdoors store and the sales people really believe that Benchmade is top tier. IMO Spyderco can’t be beat in their price range, especially the Golden, Colorado offerings.

Reactions: mb>
Kinda wild, no details on the issue???

I guess I've been overly lucky, when I collected Griptilians, at one point I had nearly 30, plus no idea how many other Benchmades, and currently have multiple Balisongs of theirs, and I've never had any significant issues, other than 1-2 with pocket clips screws that were stuck, and their customer service has always been quick to fix it, or provide a new clip screw.

So...original op...what was the issue?

I bought my first 940 used, im not impressed either. Previous owner described lockup as 'perfect'
Has more side to side play than any other knife i've ever handled. I'm told this is mostly 'normal benchmade action'
I've seen people post their $400 Anthem's for sale 'tuned with the perfect amount of blade play/action'
I wonder if their benches are wobbly, tilted or in other need of repair?

Sure i've handled some sypderco that have side to side play but can be tightened out and still have better 'action'
this 940 might as well be a lock back when tightened to remove play.

30$ kershaw & ruike's have smoother action with no play.... whats the excuse for benchmade?

I'm done with people being done with Benchmade! I've had it up to here with their shoddy grammar, lack of pictures, and shockingly inadequate command of the english language!

I'm done, I tell you! No more for me. I'm OUT.

Finished.

DONE.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever made a negative thread about any manufacturer on any forum. But today, I am done with Benchmade. I'm tired of returning knife after knife for quality control issues that should be caught before they even leave the factory. Today I was so happy because I thought I was getting my mini crooked river back after being at Benchmade for weeks (a gift from my brother, mind you). Opened it up and bam. Warranty denied. No reason except a generic form letter stating warranty policies. I immediately called them and basically received the spoken version of their form letter and that I received "bad information" from one of their representatives before sending it in. There was no use losing my temper. I just thanked him for his time and hung up. This NEVER would have happened with Zero Tolerance. Exact opposite experience with them in every case. ZT customer service has been STELLAR. I'm not going to get into it any more or cause any more of a stink. I'm just moving on from Benchmade.
Without discussing the issue this thread is useless and can't be taken seriously.

I actually wonder how much of this is bad QC vs people not knowing how to set up an axis lock? I've only had 3 BM knives so my sample size is small, but they all have had perfect actions and centerings. It's not hard to learn how to properly set them up

Does your perfect action include sideplay?(like the guy i bought mine from)

Sorry, but I think some of you guys ALWAYS returning stuff and complaining of issues are nuts and expecting way to much out of these knives and the companies. I've been through about 1000-2000? knives trying to find what I like best since I joined this site, and went fanatical. I've had problems with just about every single folder from every single company there is, some, lil, nit picking, problem, always. Pivots, locks, screws bål blah blah. But with a Lil tweaking once and awhile, good as gold. They cut and function well. Can rarely actually say something was complete junk, defect, bad manufacturing or design.

These threads are just laughable to me. If it was something serious, Benchmade would have fixed it. I've bought around 50 brand spanking new benchmades and never not once had one felt needed to return or complain about. Never. Loose pivot, sure, edge not so great, sure, Lil bit of lock stick, sure. But I've had those same problems FROM AT LEAST ONE KNIFE FROM EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMPANY THERE IS. All those things always fixable, easily, by my own hands.

Maybe it's just me not being overly anal and finicky about things, or maybe cause I always tweak my knives to my liking no matter what anyways out of box. I don't know. I do think there are way to many people expecting way to much out of knives.

Benchmade has bent over backwards for me as far as their customer service and warranties. Never been disappointed. Only complaint really have is prices are getting crazy, but that's the same with every other company.

Did OP abandon this thread? Was interested in what happened but this thread really has no purpose if OP disappears.

Also interested to hear the other side of the story, but in any case it's unfortunate you felt shafted by the whole deal. BM is my local brand, I can just about see it across the river from my house, and I've always considered them to be a top notch company. Regardless of whether or not they should have fixed your issue, I would have at least hoped for better communication.

Benchmade has been always good to me.It might not get resolve the first time around but it always works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back