I'm done with Benchmade

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I’m certainly not a fan of them destroying a handful of confiscated guns, I’ve seen far worse from supposedly proud American knife companies. Tell me, has anyone seen the folks at Benchmade shoving the American Flag into a trash can recently? It sure as hell happened at another knife manufacturer’s factory. I sold off all the knives I bought there, and refuse to buy from that company again. I saw this myself. Yes, I have pics

But to keep this relevant, I will say all the blade play in the axis knives bugs me. The axis lock has its advantages, but idk why the horizontal blade play is always so bad. I’ve spent hours, but I can’t find the sweet spot with smooth deployment and no horizontal blade play. If I ever make my way back to modern folders, I’ll buy a ZT.

I have 1 Benchmade. I like it well enough but for the money I think there are better options. Probably wont get another.

I have 5. The blade of my Grip H20 rubs one side a little, but the rest are fine. I am surprised this one wasn't caught at the factory. I have been too lazy to send it back for a possible fix. I have unsuccessfully tried to fix it using tips from BF members. BM's prices, and MAP have always been my main complaint.

But to keep this relevant, I will say all the blade play in the axis knives bugs me. The axis lock has its advantages, but idk why the horizontal blade play is always so bad. I’ve spent hours, but I can’t find the sweet spot with smooth deployment and no horizontal blade play. If I ever make my way back to modern folders, I’ll buy a ZT.

Horizontal blade play is caused by a loose pivot, not the Axis lock.

The op never returned to answer some pertinent questions about the nature of his troubles with the knife, but the topic of his post certainly seems to have touched a nerve in this forum. Can t say that about most of the posts.

Beastly blade right here.
587006c29dfd8890a1ead004be810b2c.jpg

They were guns that a police department needed to destroy. They were taken off the streets. Bunch of uninformed people got triggered cuz "their takin ar gunz!"

Cold steel destroys knives regularly! Their anti-knife! Im boycotting!
It has less to do with the destruction of confiscated guns than their other politics. No point in dredging that up here but suffice to say it was not favorable to gun or knife owners.

It has less to do with the destruction of confiscated guns than their other politics. No point in dredging that up here but suffice to say it was not favorable to gun or knife owners.

Benchmade's politics are anti knife? Mods: Are we allowed to discuss knife related politics here? I know people discuss knife laws. Has benchmade been lobbying for more restrictive knife laws or something? Well anyhow, i'm interested in how their politics are not favorable to knife owners but also understand your reluctance to make the discussion too political. Maybe a mod will give the go on discussing directly knife related parts of politics...

What are you getting?

Not sure yet. I always wanted a Rukus but the resale price is high. Maybe a Rukus 2 now that autos are legal in Illinois.

I have a custom being made that won't be done for another two months. After I pay for that, I'll put some serious thought into the BM.

The only Benchmade still in the family is a Mini-Grip. My son has it now and to give you an idea of how old it is, it's a first generation with 440c.

Does Benchmade (I am too lazy to look it up myself) have any non axis locks knives? I only ever got one (Bedlam) and it was...meh, I like the shape, but it's impossible to center, and either has blade play or is pretty stiff. Coupled with that bad experience and a general disinterest in the Axis Lock, I don't feel like getting another one even though I like a few (Vector, Fact, Contego, Adamas to name a few.) I am not really keen on giving them another chance.

Benchmade's politics are anti knife? Mods: Are we allowed to discuss knife related politics here? I know people discuss knife laws. Has benchmade been lobbying for more restrictive knife laws or something? Well anyhow, i'm interested in how their politics are not favorable to knife owners but also understand your reluctance to make the discussion too political. Maybe a mod will give the go on discussing directly knife related parts of politics...

Yes they are anti knife, just were not aware of what they were supporting and may still not. Problem is the "internal investigation" they said was to happen either never did or did not bother to update anyone of the outcome. They reported financially supporting the Interstate Transportation Act which is bad for gun and knife owners instead of the Kniferights supported Knife Owners Protection Act. Again, check out the Gresham interview where they had every opportunity to really make it right if they wanted to.

Here is a great article on why it would be bad for many knife owners:

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/problematic-knife-transport-bill/

Last edited:
Not sure yet. I always wanted a Rukus but the resale price is high. Maybe a Rukus 2 now that autos are legal in Illinois.

I have a custom being made that won't be done for another two months. After I pay for that, I'll put some serious thought into the BM.

The only Benchmade still in the family is a Mini-Grip. My son has it now and to give you an idea of how old it is, it's a first generation with 440c.
Oh wow. That is kinda impressive actually.

I might be a broken record here, but have you considered a Crooked River? With the new options in the custom shop it is... very appealing. I would definetly give BM just shy of 500 bucks to get the CR i want.

While I’m certainly not a fan of them destroying a handful of confiscated guns, I’ve seen far worse from supposedly proud American knife companies. Tell me, has anyone seen the folks at Benchmade shoving the American Flag into a trash can recently? It sure as hell happened at another knife manufacturer’s factory. I sold off all the knives I bought there, and refuse to buy from that company again. I saw this myself. Yes, I have pics

Who did that? Can't find any info?

Does Benchmade (I am too lazy to look it up myself) have any non axis locks knives? I only ever got one (Bedlam) and it was...meh, I like the shape, but it's impossible to center, and either has blade play or is pretty stiff. Coupled with that bad experience and a general disinterest in the Axis Lock, I don't feel like getting another one even though I like a few (Vector, Fact, Contego, Adamas to name a few.) I am not really keen on giving them another chance.

They do. Not sure if any are currently in production (also to lazy to look up) but they have had frame,plenty of liner, button, lockback, ect. Recently got this cause the price was right and honestly was expecting to hate to it, remember when saw the release for it was disgusted by it. Looked like a chop stick, a cigarette, and a dirk had a baby. Too long, too thin, ugly as hell, and to much jimping. Also hate that stupid boot dagger socp they make. But I was wrong, completely. Honestly my favorite folder handle I have or have had that can think off. Tons of jimping, that actually feels great(unlike the Contego) and grips SUPER securely. Edge on it right now is not going to make it much of a slicer, but going to do that eventually, blade shape in general isnt going to make it much of a slicer either. But I don't care. Cuts fine and just completely intrigued with the handle. Can definitely see how this was not many peoples cup of tea, but I can't get enough of it. Honestly, there are MANY Benchmade designs don't care for in the least. But the ones I do like, I really, really, like.

sdYvGcL.jpg

My 1st 'high end' knife was a CLA. It's been a great knife I carried it for a year but I've moved away from autos so it just sits. Then I got a mini barrage, it too is a decent knife. Then found an exclusive mini b w/wood scales that are 'gunstock' checkered and better steel (relative) that I liked and picked it up. I couldn't NOT get a Crooked River when they 1st came out. I started not liking assisted knives so de-assisted the wood scaled mini b and now use it sometimes.

I was starting to spend a little $$ on knives and decided to try out some others. 8 ZT's, 6 Spydies, 4 Hinderer's, 2 Reeves then mid-techs and hi-end Chinese (Reate) and even some great budget knives (Bestech, Ganzo, Buck Pro, Kershaw). I have them all still as I haven't sold any knives. No more BM's as I don't see the value like I used to. I did get a little bent when all the s**t came out during the gun-cutting fiasco. I'm an Oregonian and felt a little betrayed but not to the point of selling off my BM's. I had already gotten away from them before that.

My only issues w/quality has been relative to the uneven grind on the edge and the steel. Everyone I have had dissimilar grinds from one side to the other. I've also encountered it on other brands but not to that extent. My Crooked River is S35VN and chips like no other I have. It's got a 25 deg edge (not thin at all) but came with like a 30+ deg grind and was a pain in the rear to re-do. After having a bunch of other knives I really have no interest in any BM knives and have not been compelled by any of their offerings. The ROI doesn't work for me with BM anymore, probably $50-75 of each knife pays for the name only IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back