1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Im looking at getting a neck knife, whats your opinions or what would you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EntrancedVermin, Aug 13, 2016.

1. EntrancedVermin

EntrancedVermin

Jul 26, 2016
    Im looking to buy a neck knife that do you think about them. What brand make and model is your favorite or would you recommend. Im looking to get a small knife to have on me all the time, mostly when not wanting to carry a folder and have something easy to accesses. (like when im at home)
    Thanks

2. SCWillson

SCWillson

Aug 2, 2013
    Some information on your budget and what tasks you plan to use a neck knife for would help narrow things down.

I carry a Brous Blades Silent Soldier, a very unconventional design but one I like for its extreme concealability and self-defense aspects. But at $120 it might be a rather expensive experiment for you. I would definitely start with something less expensive, perhaps something by TOPS or Condor. It took me almost a dozen different neck knives to find what I liked, but 90% of those were purchased before I found Blade Forums.

Oh, and if you plan to carry it concealed, keep it small. An 8" long "neck knife" is an oxymoron. I'd recommend under 6½" in overall length.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Munchy

Munchy

Feb 28, 2013
    I've carried a Spyderco ARK everyday for over a year and it's great with the H1 steel. My only complaint would be the retention as mine has fallen out a few times while wearing it but they fixed this problem with a new sheath with a retention tab.

4. bush-haus

bush-haus Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 15, 2010
  5. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I have two at sort of opposite ends of the use spectrum.

First is a paracord wrapped Izula that I've had for years and gets used rougher tasks, landscape use, camping, etc. I think either the original or the Izula 2 are a great package, lots of color choices and readily available optional scales. I've also gifted a few over the years.

Next, I recently picked up a flat ground Enzo Necker 70 in 12c27. Little bit smaller blade, but still has a nice sized handle. Very thin slicey grind, seems very high quality for the price. I haven't used mine for much yet because I bought the blank and plan to make my own scales and sheath, but the project ended up on the back burner for the moment. These are also available in a scandi grind and have kit and finished options if you're not into diy.

6. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    ESEE Candiru

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. EntrancedVermin

EntrancedVermin

Jul 26, 2016
    @SCWillson i was thinking around $100 or less. I have quite a bit of Spyderco they are my go to brand when it comes to knives. I've always like the design of the Brous Silent Soldier. I would be using this knife for more basic tasks as opening boxes and packaging etc. Looking for something small but not too small like the Spyderco Panchenko Dog Tag. (thats too small in my opinion)

@Munchy Thats a great recommendation since i like Spyderco! Have you ever tried the Spyderco Swick or the Spot?

@bush-haus thats a nice knife thanks

@Apophis and Smokinape, are the ESEE made out of good steel ive never own one but, ive personal never heard anything bad either, are they made from stainless or high carbon. Because i do sweat a decent about in the summer.

Im leaning more to the Brous SS since its a small capable knife. I guess i would want something around that size maybe in a Hawkbill or wharncliffe. But also something that wont be in the way in day to day use, and maybe even worn under the shirt.

Thanks

8. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    I don't know anything about the Brous, but the Izula is available in coated 1095 or stainless 440c. I only have the 1095, but don't have any complaints. I also have an ESEE-4 in 1095 that I've beat on pretty hard without issue. The 1095 is covered by their usual "if you break it, we'll replace it" warranty. I don't think 440c is covered at that level.

Since you like Spyderco, here is a quick size comparison pic with the Chaparral:

[​IMG]

9. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Ditch the neck knife idea. I know it seems cool, but having every step you take matched with a knife and sheath hitting your chest gets old quick. Knives like the BK14 are not carry able for me on the neck, but as a hip or pocket knife it's great.

10. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Ha, fair point. I like small fixed blades, but have never felt the need to carry a "neck" knife around my neck personally. Different strokes and all that...

11. Akcir

Akcir

Sep 16, 2012
    You could look into the Blackjack 155. 154CM blade with a kydex sheath. Its pretty much ready to go. The price is under your budget, and you could get micarta scales for it, if you choose to.
    I like it for horizontal belt, or pocket sheath carry, as well.

12. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Buy an inexpensive one and make sure it's for you. I thought it was a neat idea when I first ran across them, but literally the only time I carry a necker these days is when I'm hanging around my house not wearing pants. Otherwise it's a folder or belt knife.

13. bush-haus

bush-haus Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I like carrying my Becker BK14 in my pocket (when camping, otherwise it's a folder). I agree, knives actually around my neck are uncomfortable, but the term represents the size of knife, not just the way it's carried.

14. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Citation?

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I lean this way, but I keep going back to the knife tough to try something else. My most recent is the Blackjack neck knife (154 CM) from DLT which comes with a leather sheath. It is small and about the size of a modest folder opened up. The blade is a clip type which I prefer over drop points for general use. I think I like it, but I am a folder guy for the most part and this is a change in carry approach. It is certainly easy to carry tucked into a pocket. It's the neck carry that I have shunned except when I am in my kayak or canoe. Neck carry works on the outside of your shirt and I dislike the feel on my chest behind the shirt. A tea shirt helps. Will see how it goes.

I have the BK-14 and BK-24 and some others. I find sharpening the BK-24 (D2) an un-necessary pain in the butt. Like the after market handles and do not like paracord wraps on handles. I recommend the BK-14 with handles. The handles make the knife functional to use for more than the occasional box or cutting open packaging.

Neck knifes are just small fixed blades that usually have some sort of neck carry option built into the sheath. Kydex sheaths are thinner. But I like leather.

16. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Since when? If someone wants a recommendation for a neck knife I assume they want to carry it around their neck. Sure a neck knife can be carried other was and some small knives can be carried around the neck but if they ask for a neck knife.......it should be a knife that can be carried around your neck, even designed to do so!

The only one I currently have is the Spartan Enyo. It is borderline too heavy and thick. I haven't tried my Izula like this. I had an Ark that was actually the best neck knife I've had but I found it too small. I agree with Insipid. Get something inexpensive to make sure you like neck carry. It sounds like a great idea and some people love it but others, like me, who thought it sounded like a great idea find they do not like neck carry.

17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Smaller is better for carry, but less handy to use.

18. mec003

mec003 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Not of carrying knives around my neck, but the general neck knife size makes for a great edc. I like the izula and would like to get an enzo necker in the future.

19. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm looking for a necker too. I think I'm leaning toward the Spartan Enyo.

20. Moondrop

Moondrop

Sep 19, 2001
    My favorite is still my CRKT Folts Minimalist. I have the wharncliffe version. It's small and light enough (1.6 oz knife & sheath together, according to knifecenter) that I barely notice it when I'm wearing it. The Spyderco ARK feels as light as air, though knifecenter lists its weight at 2 oz. Only stopped carrying mine for fear of losing it. Wish Spyderco would make the new sheath available to buy for owners of the original ARK (hint, hint).