I'm new and a woman and need help!!!

I don't even know the terminology to ask the questions. I need a folding (pocket) knife for an older man that is a farmer and uses=USES a knife for everything everyday. All the posts I read here collect knives or put them in a suit pocket to carry to work. I read about sebanza, and many others. I have read about steel and Damascus blades. The gentleman in question retired from owning a machine shop and made custom made cutters for every industry from furniture to chicken processing and lots in between. He know cutters and I need good knife that will hold an edge through everyday work.
Looks are nice but I need the good blade to carry about 20 hours a day.
Thanks ahead I really am trying to learn
Pam
" :confused: Spatengal"

Questions, very important:
1) How much do you want to spend?!?!?
2) How big should this knife be?
3) Does this man like older, more tradition things,
or would he prefer something a bit more modern?
4) Does he need serrations?
5) How is his hand coordination (just wondering if arthritis is an issue)
thanks.

1. Dollars= up to say about $500. As I said it is for every day, not collecting
2. Pocket knife size I would say 4 to 5" but you are the experts
3. He had a nice knife from his father that he lost so I guess traditional
4. I don't think serrations.
5. He is 6'4" and about 280 pounds. His hands are meathooks and very strong so not arthritic problems that would effect knife use.

Thanks Ahead
Pam

Hmmm,
well, if he's going to get tough with it,
I'd suggest a lockback, like the Chinook 1,
and Extrema ratio lockback,
or maybe a BG-42 (blade steel) Buck, from Pete's custom shop.
I've had too many problems with other folder,
YES, EVEN SEBENZAs, to want to mess with anything but the simplest, and toughest folders, and I hate sending knives back.
Some of the heavy duty SOG backlocks would fit the bill nicely,
especially the Wooden Tomcat.
I don't about the kind of lockback that Boker produces, but they are in your size range,
one more question, Do you want a good stainless?
(I would suggest it, I hate rusty knives)

Pam,
I've been using knives for a while and collecting for over a year and as soon as I read your post I thought, Dozier Folding Knife.

Take a look:
Dozierknives.com

You can also give Billy a call at Vintageknives.com
He's friendly, will help and stocks Doziers.

Cheers,
Steve

Welcome to the forums!

And a very fine first post - I've found it to be best to ask questions first, and then form an opinion...

And on these forums, you'll find a lot of opinions! LOL!!

Okay, so he's a big guy who works with his hands alot and was a machinist, so he'll pretty well know the quality you'll be giving him...

Now, remembering that this is my opinion, here's a little I'd recommend...

Consider whether he'll be comfortable with a locking blade or a more traditional slip-joint type folder like the Case pocket knives (or, insert brand preferance here.) I don't know what he'll be using this for, but if he needs to be able to get to it, and deploy it one handed, you may want to consider the more modern locking blades (you already mentioned Sebbies, there's also a number of Benchmades that fit the bill,) that have pocket clips for ease of carry and access, and the blades lock in the open position and can be closed one-handed. (If you really want to go for the upper end price range, you will find knives by William Henry to be a real pleasure to use.)

Personally, I'm more familiar with Benchmade's products, so I can only speak for them... They make many different models with many different finishes to fit every niche from the basic user like the Griptilians to the very fancy versions co-designed by some very famous makers. And every BM I've handled has been great to work with... it's just a real pain to decide which one I like best! LOL!!! (Check out the Manufacturers' Forums and you'll find out what the owners and users have to say about specific models!)

If you venture over into the KnifeMakers' Forum, you'll also find all kinds of wonderful handmade folders that will fit the bill and still fit into your price range...

Just remember: picking a specific knife to recommend is actually pretty difficult because there are SOOOOOO many good knives and knife companies out there...

Find a good local knife store and play with as many different ones as you can... and maybe take a very large male aquaintance with you to see if the one you like fits his hands...

Good luck - I realize my post may not really answer your question, but the fact that you know how to ask means the one you finally decide on will be appreciated by the recipient! And remember to get a penny back from him when you give it to him... Good luck will flow from that transaction!

If I was spending up to $500 and wanted a top-quality traditional looking hand made pocket knife, then I'd be looking at Dozier's folding hunters. The large FH is about $375 but you can work your way up to your $500 limit by asking Bob to customize it to your tastes. :)

They're nice:
newfolders.jpg

Personally, and especially since he has big hands, I wouls select something from Buck Knives' Custom Knife Shop You can select a great premium steel, you can select from a variety of handle materials, and they can engrave it for you. Have you thought about a small fixed blade? In that case I'd go with a Dozier. Good hunting and welcome to the forums!

Buck 110 stock or with a BG-42 blade. Or a more customized 110 direct from Buck, they are pretty sweet, and users too.

Dozier is one of THE most respected makers around.....he is a living legend.....i cant imagine someone getting one of his folders and being disappointed..... :)

If he likes messing with wood at all, you could get him one of these:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...hop&Product_Code=MS-OARK.XX&Category_Code=TXO
has two nice modified Wharncliff blades in D2 tool steel that'd be great for sitting on the porch whittling or anywhere else where he might want to carve on something. Queen cutlery also makes some whittlers and stockmen folders with D2 steel.

These are cheap enough that you could also give him a larger lock-back style knife as well.

It may even be worth it to visit your local knife shop, if you have one. Bring him along and tell him he can buy a knife worth up to $500. That would make anyone run around like a little kid on Christmas.

The other guys have posted some good ideas. The BM 630 Skirmish isn't near the price max, but is my EDC. Large and fits nicely in the hand, even for the bigger guys.

Hope this helps

I would go with a large Sebenza. It is the very very best of all worlds. The perfect mix between custom quality, and production support and replacement components.

If you go with a true custom folder please always be aware that if repair work is needed it can take a long long long time. Most custom knife repairs depend completely on the one person who made the knife in the first place. I am tired of the long repair times that come with custom knives, that I simply don't use custom knives any more. I just buy them to collect them.

With the Sebenza, Chris Reeve's company takes care if issues very quickly. I have never ever heard of a Sebenza lock failing. I have never heard of long repair or refirbishing times. Any complaints that I have ever read, about the Sebenza, is that they are expensive, the titanium handles can scratch easily, or someone doesn't like the way they feel in the hand. Big deal. It is still the best production folder made, regardless of price. That is the key.

In my opinion, $500 is a LOT of money to spend on a knife, especially one that will see a lot of daily use. Now, this site is chock full of folks who can come up with a list of items to spend your budget, it's like vicariously sitting on Santa's lap, but it's your $ and a LOT of it. The truth is, most of the folks here, if they are buying $500 knives, are putting them under glass or in a safe (there are exeptions, but a lot of these high $ knives never cut anything).

You can easily get a knife that is as useful and durable as any knife out there, for $100-$150. Makers like Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson. Sebenzas are great (I'm told), and of course then you have customs, but for a real "man's man" who will use his knife hard, he may be reluctant to use something too nice or too pretty. He might cringe to know you spent $500 on a knife, on the advice of some overenthusiastic cutlery enthusiasts on the internet. You want him to use it, right?

Some other questions that haven't been asked:

- if he's going to use it on a farm, maybe a small fixed blade sheath knife would be more practical than a folder. check out Bark River Knives.
- if a folder, would it be carried in a sheath or in a pocket? A Custom Buck 110 would be sweet, but heavy for a pocket. For pocket carry, you have the convenience of clips and one-hand opening, plus it can be carried anywhere.
- as a machinist, he might not like the new high-tech steels, but favor a old fashioned carbon steel or 440 stainless, which can be easily sharpened with a stone.

On the upper side, I'd say Sebenza or Dozier . On the lower end I'd go Buck or Spyderco.Particular models have been suggested,and I cant add anymore to what was said there. Please tell us what you find.

Back