I'm new and a woman and need help!!!

jeez, Pam. for $500 you could get him a few really nice knives! i've never spent more than $60 on a knife, personally, and i've never been let down during hard work!

you could surprise him with a folder and a fixed blade and a multi-tool for $500.

Bark River Knife & Tool's Highland - same great steel. old-fashioned stag-styled handle. $135 @ the most.
AG Russell's Yellow Delrin Folder - a damn tough, traditional styled knife. $90 @ the most.
Leatherman's Charge Ti - some of the latest big news on the multi-tool market. never b4 seen (on a multi-tool) materials! $110 @ most.
Total so far = $335

but anyways, sticking with a folder! there's that AG Russel Yellow Delrin Folder... there's the customized Buck 110 ppl have mentioned, but that's a damn big folder.

do you know if he prefers a locking folder, or a slipjoint? 'cause there are some nice slipjoints, but they don't make quite as good a knife for a heavy user compared to a locking folder.
an example of a nice slipjoint: Queen's Dan Burke Cattle Knife - for $325 smackeroo's, you better get a damn good knife, right? :p Queen also makes a number of other folders with a great D2 blade steel, and for alooooot less money. haha

good luck. sorry to just add more knives to look @.

A large Sebenza sure sounds like what you're looking for.
When I'm in the mood for something more traditional, I carry a blue bone Case doctor's knife.

I'm surprised no one mentioned a Benchmade 710HS. Large, strong, coated tool steel. I have a small Sebbie and the smaller BM705 and while the large Sebenza is great, for a little over one hundred bucks, you could get an axis lock, HS tool steel and close to a four inch folding blade. Good luck!

If you want traditional Case makes a pretty good knife if you get the carbon steel. Queen also makes a god, traditional knife.

Tyler

I'd like to throw another knife in the mix... a Buck Folding Alpha Hunter. The Model 277 has a drop point blade of ATS-34 and the handle is resin-impregnated rosewood. It's a good size knife for a 'beefy' hand, can be opened with one hand, and has a retail price of under $100. Although it is a linerlock, (I prefer a lockback) if your friend is used to a 'traditional' folder (slipjoint?) this might suffice. Good luck in your search! :)

For 500 dollars you will have enough money to buy a great decent folder. No question about that...
For that kind of money you can buy even some custommade stuff. Try looking trough the 'Makers' section of this forum. DMKnives still has his Stealth Infiltrator folder for sale, last time i saw. That is one awesome, impressive, rugged folder. That folder is just ASKING to have a new home and ready to do any job you can throw at it!
And no, i am in no way affiliated with DMKnives :D Just a big folder that popped to mind first.

Good luck on the search!

I love the Spyderco Manix, and which would be the first choice for myself...pretty much at any price. But as a gift and for something a little bit more traditional and at that price range, I would go with the Chris Reeve Mnandi: http://www.newgraham.com/newpage2.htm (the cheeper ones are further down the page). The Sebensa is a great knife but an all metal/Ti handled knife I would hardly call "traditional". Neither is the Mnandi "traditional", but I think it has a "warmer" look to it due to the wood inlay. The blade might be a little short though.

Let him pick his own. Knives are very personal and it is hard to know what someone will like. You have done a lot of homework (do I sense and new knife knut in the works?) so you can give him a bunch of recommendations but let him have the final say.

-- Dizos

Howdy, ma'am. Welcome to BF. :)

For a user, and somebody with big hands, I'd go one of two ways:

If he likes lockbacks, the Buck 110 is hard to beat, particularly a custom one from Pete's Custom Shop. About $100 in BG-42 with a bone grip, and excellent quality. If he likes carbon steel, Queen makes their Mountain Man lockback in D2 and it's solid as a rock. Less than $100, about $50.

If he likes folders, I'd still go with Queen- either their Cattle King stockman in D2 or a Trapper in D2. Both can be had in a wide range of handle materials. About $50 each.

Way below your $500 mark, but considering how every really good working knife I've ever used is less than $100, why spend it?

Walking Man said:
HEY, EXTREMA RATIO SERIOUSLY TOUGH FOLDERS ARE
BEING BLOWN OUT AT WWW.1SKS.COM,
Great knives, awesome prices..............

Hear, hear! Excellent recommendation!
DAMNIT, i wish i was near that place :grumpy: Not fair... The price of the Golem F is tooooo low to be true....

I don't think Bob Dozier is currently taking orders on folders. When he does, the wait is better than a year.
If you can find one of his Folding Hunters, grab it. They are one of the finest cutting tools made.

I am a large individual (6'4" 300lbs) who carries $400-700+ folders on a daily basis. I worked for several months at a wilderness education facility in Tennessee and carried and used some of the knives in the woods 5 days a week.

I would reccomend finding a Carson C2O framelock. This knife is a collaboration between Kit Carson, Jody Carson, and Mike Obenauf. They are very well made and quality of workmanship is second to none.

I reccomend this because your friend will appreciate the work and quality of the knife. Also, this knife functions incredibly well in a hard use environment. The framelock is stout and it won't fail. In my opinion, this knife is by far the best value in high end hard use knives.

Another couple of options would be to find a framelock by Mike Obenauf or J. W. Smith. Both of these makers make amazing folders. They will never fail and craftsmenship is amazing.

You can find these knives at internet dealer sites or on the for sale forums here on occasion. Good luck with your search.

JR

Has anyone mentioned the ritter grip? Aprox 120.00 and by all accounts an awesome working knife. A large or small sebenza would also get big props from me but I am pretty much with the group that feels like 500 bones is a while lot more then you need to spend for a working knife. If ya wanna spend some money go with Sebenxa or Dozier.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Back