IMO - The Griptilian is too fat!

I checked out the Griptilian 551 and 556 today in a store. I really liked the mini-Griptilian but found the 551 too thick for pocket comfort though it felt fine in my hand. I have not heard that concern before on the forum - am I alone???

P.S. I probably will buy the mini - felt good.

i carrie eather a lg skirmish or the doug ritter lg ritter gripper so i think the ritter fits my pocket better matter a fact its my favort knife for a folder

I find my Ritter Grip very comfortable either in a large BM pouch or clipped into the watch pocket of my pants. I have others, but this is the one I use for EDC the most.

Joe

I love the design of the 551, but also think it's too bulky for a pants pocket. It should come with a sheath, IMO.

-Bob

It seems like an absolutely normal thickness for a folder of its size to me. You may need to look at frame locks for your future EDCs to keep it really slim.

:p

I have carried it and it is nice and comfort. A flat body would be more comfort but just to be more doesn´t mean that the other one isn´t.

BTW there are thicker handles on folders carried.

Meaning comfort, have you tried the CRKT Kaspar folder?

It is that heavy it would drop your pants if you would fly a fight. With that folder, you will never run, because you can´t. :D

I agree that the full size Grips are too thick. The Minis are thinner.

IIRC that's a FRN handle -

FRN is weaker than G10 and requires liners to retain it's shape, which increase the thickness. Why FRN scales aren't trimmer because of that is a design decision by the maker. The M1-13K by CRKT suffers from the same - great design, big fat handle. Nice to have if you do a lot of cutting, not so much for carry.

IIRC that's a FRN handle -

FRN is weaker than G10 and requires liners to retain it's shape, which increase the thickness. Why FRN scales aren't trimmer because of that is a design decision by the maker. The M1-13K by CRKT suffers from the same - great design, big fat handle. Nice to have if you do a lot of cutting, not so much for carry.

The liners are nested in the Grip and don't add to the size. There are many linerless folders in FRN from respected companies such as AG Russell and Spyderco. They are plenty strong.

The Grip has it's shape to facilitate Grip. That means some bulk. Yes, the Grip is large in the pocket. Too large? Well, for me it's too large for CLIPPED carry but I'm happy with it in the pocket itself.

Phil

Strong - yes. Stiff, well they did have to use the liners. FRN cold flows and cannot retain it's shape when molded for larger knives. My Gen 1 Endura would actually close down on the blade, and the molded clip would loosen to the point if ineffectiveness. That forced design changes.

A better example might be the Buck Striders - liners were included to provide a frame for the FRN handles, and the overall width is bulkier. In all other respects they are a perfect silhouette, so why the extra thickness? Beats me.

Strong - yes. Stiff, well they did have to use the liners. FRN cold flows and cannot retain it's shape when molded for larger knives. My Gen 1 Endura would actually close down on the blade, and the molded clip would loosen to the point if ineffectiveness. That forced design changes.

True, FRN is poor with fine detail. That's why they need liners for the Axis parts and used threaded inserts to hold all the screws. I haven't heard of cold flow issues with the Grip though.

Phil

Seems like the 551 is proportionately fatter when compared with the 556 mini - i.e. if they made the 556 as large as the 551 it would not be as fat (though I am going from memory on this???). I agree it is a design choice, probably more for grip than anything.

Too bad the Benchmade folks don't comment back on the forums like Sal from Spyderco does. It would be interesting to hear their feedback. Or at least I have not noticed them commenting back.

A better example might be the Buck Striders - liners were included to provide a frame for the FRN handles, and the overall width is bulkier. In all other respects they are a perfect silhouette, so why the extra thickness? Beats me.

it has liners because it has an axis lock

The first model Buck Striders, and Strider folders in general, use G10 over thick Ti liners (except for framelocks, naturally). It's how Striders are made, irrespective of scale material.

The Grip has it's shape to facilitate Grip. That means some bulk. Yes, the Grip is large in the pocket. Too large? Well, for me it's too large for CLIPPED carry but I'm happy with it in the pocket itself.

Phil
I agree. IMO the ergos of the Grip's 'grip' are perfect without the pocket clip, with the clip it's just not comfortable in the hand. I took the clip off the first day I got it.

The Native uses FRN handles. No liners. No movement of the FRN. No cold flow.

The heat distortion temperature of 50% glass loaded FRN is 200°C for a force of 18.6kg/sq cm. That means that you have to apply a force of 264 PSI at 392°F before the stuff starts taking a different set. That does not mean it is structural at that temperature. The glass transition temp for Nylon 6,6 is about 122°F. That means that at temps below 122F it does not move but behaves like a glass or a metal from a structural viewpoint. Scales on a knife? no problem.

Yep it's a fatty, BM should produce a version with flat scales... they would probably sell a bazillion of them.

The large is too fat and the small is too small. Sounds like an opportunity for a middle size.

The handles are plastic - whatever they call them.
I had one for a little while and sold it. It just feels cheap to me with the hollow plastic handle.

Back