IMO - The Griptilian is too fat!

Well, just get the Sequel 707! Slim, light and strong!
707_opt.jpg

+1 :thumbup::cool:

The normal griptillian is too fat and sounds like a hallow piece of plastic. The smaller griptilian is much better, but it's problem is that it's a little to short.

They need to take the smaller one, keep the diameter the same but make it 1/2"-3/4" longer.

I'd buy that knife for $90-$120 easy.

My large Ritter Grip was to fat for me to carry comfortably so it go about zero pocket time. Coupled with the plastic, hollow sounding scales I was pretty sure I made a mistake in giving the Griptilian a go.

I solved my scale problems by ordering new ones from Cuscadi.

photobucket-32559-1349205016070.jpg

photobucket-10795-1349203470812.jpg

The Axis lock on this particular BM has some blade play despite fine tuning. It's just not as good as the Osborne or BC that I have. All in all I'm about done with Benchmade. If I could pick up a new AFCK for what I pad for my old one I'd call it a day. For the money Spyderco puts out better knives with better fit and finish with less problems.

Just one users opinion.

If you are done with benchmade and want to get rid of those scales and clip let me know. That's exactly the set up I was looking to go for with my grip. Just hadn't worked up to contacting Cuscadi yet.

So where does one get some custom Mini Grip scales at a reasonable price? Did you make those, Keyman?

While some might consider $100 too much to spend on custom scales for a grip it really changes the knife to something special. You eliminate the plastic, hollow sound and add a lot of class.

cg1.jpg

cg2.jpg

cg3.jpg

cg4.jpg

cg5.jpg

cg7.jpg

cg6.jpg

From my perspective the custom scales take a great design and turn it into a knife at the next level and great to carry and use.

Keyman: What did you use to cut and shape the micarta? Did you just pattern them off the original scales? Not sure if it's something I should try or just order a set from Cuscadi

The Griptilian is a great knife. Its selling points is its ergonomic handfilling handles. It doesnt need thinner scales or G-10. If you want other materials in your knife, get another knife. Or get some custom scales. But leave the original Gripitilian alone, cause its a great knife at a reasonable price. :D

On another note, ive started to dislike G-10, because ive found it to be very hard on my pockets. Its especially bad on my workpants, as i only have 2 pairs. My 915 Triage, has completely destroyed all my right-hand front pockets. Thats why im slowly changing over to Valox, FRN and Zytel. G-10 is nice for fondling, but "plastic" is a more practical choice for those who carry every single day.

The pics were take after a couple of months of carry. Theres just a big hole in every pocket now.

IMAG0626.jpgIMAG0632.jpg

The Griptilian is a great knife. Its selling points is its ergonomic handfilling handles. It doesnt need thinner scales or G-10. If you want other materials in your knife, get another knife. Or get some custom scales. But leave the original Gripitilian alone, cause its a great knife at a reasonable price. :D

On another note, ive started to dislike G-10, because ive found it to be very hard on my pockets. Its especially bad on my workpants, as i only have 2 pairs. My 915 Triage, has completely destroyed all my right-hand front pockets. Thats why im slowly changing over to Valox, FRN and Zytel. G-10 is nice for fondling, but "plastic" is a more practical choice for those who carry every single day.

The pics were take after a couple of months of carry. Theres just a big hole in every pocket now.

View attachment 313440View attachment 313441

Sandpaper is your friend. 5 minutes of work, and even the grippiest G-10 can be made smooth.

Back