Impinda centering

Hi folks! I don't want to rustle too many feathers, so I'll begin by saying that I am a long-time fan of CRK and I have no doubt that their warranty service will help me out if that is what is ultimately needed. I also recognize that my problem is most likely unique to my knife.

I recently purchased an Impinda. I really like this knife, but I can't get it centered. Most knives that I have owned with centering issues have been corrected with dissasembly and trial and error. This is my first off-center CRK. I am familiar with some centering correction techniques, and having the pivot cranked down with loose body screws, shimming the blade the way I want it to go, and then tightening the body screws is not working in this case.

I should have returned it to the dealer as soon as I noticed the problem, but I thought I could correct it. In trying I ended up putting some snail trails on it, so a return is out of the question. I also thought breaking it in might help. That did eliminate the grittiness, but the centering is still a problem. If I push the blade over as I'm closing it will be centered, but then it will slowly creep over again. It does not rub, but centering and tolerances are some of the reasons I prefer CRK.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Otherwise my next move will be to send it in, but I would rather not wait that long if there is a possible fix I haven't thought of.

20181218_104317.jpg 20181210_180335-1470x3024.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you've tried all the centering techniques that I'm aware of. I say send it in and let them fix it. There must be something off by a few ten thousandths that may require a little milling.

From the bottom pic, it almost appears that the blade is bowed unless that is camera distortion. The blade starts out on the right side at the pivot but ends up to the left at the tip???

From the bottom pic, it almost appears that the blade is bowed unless that is camera distortion. The blade starts out on the right side at the pivot but ends up to the left at the tip???

I think that may be the camera or shadows. This pic is a little better.
20181218_111826-1470x2495.jpg
20181218_112656-780x1888.jpg

Last edited:
It might be worth taking it down, cleaning all the washers and contact surfaces (pivot area on the blade, pivot screw, all the hardware), applying a normal amount of lube (a small amount), and carefully reassembling like a sandwich (like an Inkosi not a Sebenza). Then get everything fitted in place and check centering/action before installing the screws.

If you can't solve it, and especially if the action feels gritty and not smooth just send it in. Unfortunate but sometimes it happens, they'll fix it.

I have dissasembled it and tried what you suggested. It was a bit gritty at first, but now it is pretty smooth. I'll give it another go.

Reassembly is pretty straightforward, but I am curious how people handle the pivot. I would like to put it together sandwich style like an Inkosi, but the only issue is that the female side of the pivot screw is the side that takes the wrench, and the male side has the cutout on the top and needs to stay in place. I manage it, but am not sure if I am doing it the best way. It came off-center though, so I don't think I made it worse with my cleaning. Just not better either.

Last edited:
To me it lookes like the blade is centered, but the last third of the blade is ground a bit uneven. If it doesn't rub I would not bother.

I put the female side in first and then screw the male side down until I get it close, then rotate and click it into place. I agree it does seem strange but I'm not sure the reason for it.

One thing I have noticed on two recent builds from CRK that had off-center blades, was the perforated washers had lots of burrs on them. I assume they are die cut and not chemical etched. I was very careful and used only clean & flat piece of cardboard to "strop" them ever so lightly to eliminate the burrs. The knives (Mnandi and small Sebenza) were then perfectly centered upon reassembly.

Did you notice if the washers had sharp edges that seemed too sharp? Like they grab the skin on your fingers? Use a loupe, if you have one, to inspect them under magnification.

Last edited:
To me it lookes like the blade is centered, but the last third of the blade is ground a bit uneven. If it doesn't rub I would not bother.

I think that kind of goes against the reasoning of purchasing a $450 CRK. I own CRK knives because I know that I’m buying a precision cutting instrument, with that I expect perfect blade centering. This would be an issue for me, but I understand that it may not bother everyone.

Send it back, you don't buy CRK for un-centered blades. There is no way this is going to leave your mind until it's fixed, it will drive you nuts even if you pretend it doesnt for a while :)

I think they would prefer you send it back, so they can get it right for you.

I did that with an Inkosi and was not pleased at all with the results. It was probably a very rare event but now if I can analyze the problem and fix it myself, that's how I'll do it. Actual defects are something else that need to be repaired at Boise. Not the same for adjustments, in my experience.

They just ask that you give them the chance, first to fix it. If they fail you have every right to complain. If however you can fix it yourself great. Unfortunately for the OP trying to fix it himself cost him the chance to just send it back to the dealer and so far he still has the problem.

I wonder if this knife was from the original run of 50? One YouTube reviewer complained the fit and finish of his early example was not up to the usual CRK standards.

Mine is from the original 50 from the show and it is perfect. Zero issues at all and I have carried and used it lots. Currently has paint on it that I have to clean off.

I sent it to HQ, will report back! I'm sure they will fix it right up, I just really wanted to avoid taking their time. I have never sent anything in for spa service and really don't like that folks do it just to get an extra 10 or 20 on their sale. Until this knife I have usually been able to fix most centering issues for any folder I have owned. All the other Impindas I have seen were perfectly centered, so they probably will be interested in figuring out what happened as well.

I sent it to HQ, will report back! I'm sure they will fix it right up, I just really wanted to avoid taking their time. I have never sent anything in for spa service and really don't like that folks do it just to get an extra 10 or 20 on their sale. Until this knife I have usually been able to fix most centering issues for any folder I have owned. All the other Impindas I have seen were perfectly centered, so they probably will be interested in figuring out what happened as well.
Good decision! I'm a little confused as to your statement about "an extra 10 or 20", though. As far as I know, the only cost would be for postage as as far as I am aware, the following policy (from their site) still exists. I'd be interested to know if that is no longer factual.
OG
"Sending your knife to Chris Reeve Knives
As part of your warranty will always clean, tune and sharpen your CRK folder and sharpen your CRK fixed blade at no charge.
Your only cost is the return shipping fee (minimum $15 in CONUS). If a knife has been modified outside our workshop, your warranty may be void."

Back