In Development... [UPDATE: They're here!]

It's like a giant Arkansas toothpick with a D guard and a parrying spike...what's not to love ?:D

What's the thickness?

~Chip

Pretty much all sword/machete hybrids on the market try to take an existing sword design (which is shaped that way because it's optimized for its mode of construction) and then just making that profile using machete construction. A lot gets lost in translation and it's the exact opposite of what should be done. Instead, the Kingfisher started with machete-style manufacturing methods and then was given a form that gave it the performance qualities of a sword. Inspiration includes Khyber swords, European cut-and-thrust arming swords, military sabers, Chinese butterfly swords, and glaive polearms (from which the rear prong was adopted.) The blade is 1/8" thick distal tapered to 1.85mm and it's absolutely vicious. Stiff enough to thrust very effectively and even unsharpened it's able to deliver surprisingly powerful blows with the last 6" of the tip. :cool:

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the shape of the guard on the spine side of the blade? I don’t know all the correct terms so hopefully my horrible description is good enough. It seems overly large. Does it mimic a historical design?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the shape of the guard on the spine side of the blade? I don’t know all the correct terms so hopefully my horrible description is good enough.

It's a blade catcher. Parrying across the body with the spine of the blade is a comparatively slow action (long travel) so a guard that keeps another blade from disengaging during the parry increases your safety dramatically. It can also be used to bind a blade by using a twisting action, which can allow you to close distance and take control of their weapon hand before disengaging your own blade and bringing it to bear.

^
Thanks for the great explanation. I am still enjoying the wickedly sharp Bowie Machete I got from you, but I may have to look into this. Any chance you may do Micarta grips at some point?

Maybe someday down the line if the basic version does well. However, the entire purpose of the design is to maximize function while minimizing price, and so they're ripe for modification by the end user. I fully expect to see lots of people putting their own scales on 'em. The hickory scales will be nice and durable, but I'm sure a lot of people will want to gussy theirs up. :)

No sheath, but the rear prong easily hooks on a belt loop or waistband. Again, the goal was a "poor man's sword" so keeping the cost as low as possible was important. Making the base product of good quality, like a rough-cut gem, and leaving the rest to the end user is the best way to accomplish that goal. Again, if the base version does well we might end up having a deluxe Condor-style "officer's" version done eventually, but it runs a bit counter to the core purpose. Imagine having to arm your entire family/peer group on a working man's budget. :)

The broad base of the blade in the Kingfisher draws some partial inspiration from the cinquedea, but mostly from Khyber swords of the rarer guarded variety, like so:

s1742.jpg

The broad base of the blade gives VERY solid resistance in blade-on-blade work and allows for strong defenses to be made with the forte against heavier weapons thanks to the combined rigidity and inertia of the mass concentrated in that spot. The overall weapon is light, but having that mass located there helps move the center of gravity squarely into that region so it can be as stalwart in static resistance as its mass allows it to be. The 3-1/2" PoB gives a good balance between point control/speed and cutting ability, though there's a slight emphasis on the thrust in the overall design.

The folks in El Salvador are now working on the handle/guard revisions as originally requested. Fingers crossed that they get it right in one go--I'd like these to be the last pre-productions.

I already have a couple nice swords, and can't think of any legitimate use I'd have around the house for one of these. So why do I want one so bad? o_O

Also, super props to you guys on the distal taper! I figure the dramatic profile taper should help with mass distribution as well, to give it better dynamic balance than most other sword-shaped machetes!

Back