In Development... [UPDATE: They're here!]

And at a proposed price point that makes them affordable in pairs, which I'm sure was accidental...:D

The intention is for them to be affordable enough to outfit your entire family/peer group on a single working income if need be. In some sort of societal collapse, having the peace of mind that everyone has an effective and intuitive melee weapon at their disposal is nice. Obviously a firearm is a better weapon in most circumstances, but they're not something most of us can afford to have on hand en masse and just hand out willy-nilly to each individual and trust them all to know how to be safe and use it effectively under duress. A pointy choppy metal thing with an ergonomic handle is something you can at least trust people of low training to operate more or less effectively if need be and don't have to worry so much about them doing something stupid with it. Once the first 200x units of the run are gone, we'll still have the discounted pricing available for 3 or more units. :)

The intention is for them to be affordable enough to outfit your entire family/peer group on a single working income if need be. In some sort of societal collapse, having the peace of mind that everyone has an effective and intuitive melee weapon at their disposal is nice. Obviously a firearm is a better weapon in most circumstances, but they're not something most of us can afford to have on hand en masse and just hand out willy-nilly to each individual and trust them all to know how to be safe and use it effectively under duress. A pointy choppy metal thing with an ergonomic handle is something you can at least trust people of low training to operate more or less effectively if need be and don't have to worry so much about them doing something stupid with it. Once the first 200x units of the run are gone, we'll still have the discounted pricing available for 3 or more units. :)
A sword for the whole family.

I love the way you think. Awesome idea and thanks for going through with it.

Pretty much all sword/machete hybrids on the market try to take an existing sword design (which is shaped that way because it's optimized for its mode of construction) and then just making that profile using machete construction. A lot gets lost in translation and it's the exact opposite of what should be done. Instead, the Kingfisher started with machete-style manufacturing methods and then was given a form that gave it the performance qualities of a sword. Inspiration includes Khyber swords, European cut-and-thrust arming swords, military sabers, Chinese butterfly swords, and glaive polearms (from which the rear prong was adopted.) The blade is 1/8" thick distal tapered to 1.85mm and it's absolutely vicious. Stiff enough to thrust very effectively and even unsharpened it's able to deliver surprisingly powerful blows with the last 6" of the tip. :cool:

Waiting patiently.... (where's that foot tapping emoji when you need it? :rolleyes: )

Looks like there is a some tesac/dussack influence as well if you've ever looked into those.

The tesac was the 1300s - 1400s Czech/Bohemia/Lusatia/Sorbia (the area where Germany/Poland/Czech collide) peasant swords used for general machete/agricultural work and did double duty for village defense and war time levies. Used to kick German tail during the Hussite wars of the 1430s. Duplicated by Germans who picked them up on the battle fields and called them dussacks. Relatively simple for village smiths to forge and versatile. Curved or straight blades 1-3/4" to 2" wide and 18" to 26" blades. Clip, spear or square tip. Thought by some to be a predecessor of the cavalry saber.

Here's a modern rendition of a 15th century (1400s) dussack

CNtZg3FIur8Nnbmho7az3XykD5OO6MfA55PYOow9TLWwTilOqJvqXv54dmRTWLqvG0TtNvW3Fk5nfKvZBSohMrCzaj6Y63ZSriW1Pew_k-pasxh8b0g_tP_EqvTXiq8nGqg2ZJuqHjPPPwob9695ugWwNuxJpPyNLKwiHWGTUDuVdNmWaUBu_ng_zqVClLDCtf47ATRXDOY6LMUuOAkqVey6wPxIrd1UJxpyUwFSvQ1KGu7hBmhpbIdnhVz6QlMsiZ4EzuVvuSbMn5kBmBqWexdikqszb6KbKNwiNBNsPWMDrhoVxD9JuYP51m-9IwNjkE3JYNQkD2rm9s3qCXSt7CnPclg2kfbZvOjK8z8YNPbdKgpC3oTeVXxik54ynT1htu1eSJ3zht-Pzltb62LODeCAw2cgxq4umqhh8FRq7vMTQvNMVdszZio2lS9-dP38RV04ZMVUX_T4t0n9-CGqoeZEky57O4waJZUNRlf_HXtZByfpLzwD13-F8rATxTYZpK6yRUk7PZSaa5Xy7_bocHnVFoCEm8yKHAVKpO-fs3PUzMcUTUgvk1OPynjG1vfCeTPwy8n5IWynPMcvTj-VoRFRzA3_NSjIAUNFZ2M=w400-h300-no

Yes--I'm well familiar with dussacks. :D Influence was minor with them, except from the standpoint that they were designed with ease of manufacture at the forefront and that they had a knuckle bow.

One of the two pre-production samples is currently on its way to a certain YouTuber for review and feedback. In the meantime, we're getting some final figures worked out on pricing so we'll be able to get pre-orders listed. :)

Just out of curiosity, is there an ETA on preorders? I am planning on buying a stack of these things! Stabby awesomeness!

One of the two pre-production samples is currently on its way to a certain YouTuber for review and feedback. In the meantime, we're getting some final figures worked out on pricing so we'll be able to get pre-orders listed. :)

Subscribed to Baryonyx . You had me at $38 bucks, but I'm a high maintenance date, so lemme ask:

Dual-Wield= yesssssss

Short enough to carry on the back? What If I wanna just revert to being 13 and make grips that had a solid ring at the sub hilt, think they'd "spin"? Final Question: Do you think an early middle aged man would be arrested if he back-carried these, dressed as a Superhero, called himself Baron Spinning Justice and went about trying to solve crimes in his/her city of residence?

Just out of curiosity, is there an ETA on preorders? I am planning on buying a stack of these things! Stabby awesomeness!

Soon, but I can't really say much beyond that. Just working out some final pricing details. We're talking fairly minor stuff, but it's a matter of when the folks in El Salvador get back to me with the info, and their sense of time is a little different than ours. :p

Subscribed to Baryonyx . You had me at $38 bucks, but I'm a high maintenance date, so lemme ask:

Dual-Wield= yesssssss

Short enough to carry on the back? What If I wanna just revert to being 13 and make grips that had a solid ring at the sub hilt, think they'd "spin"? Final Question: Do you think an early middle aged man would be arrested if he back-carried these, dressed as a Superhero, called himself Baron Spinning Justice and went about trying to solve crimes in his/her city of residence?

24" blade, so it's right at the limit for what most folks would be able to comfortably draw from the back. I don't think they'd spin well due to the length--you'd be liable to hit yourself. ;) Arrest-wise, it'd depend on the legality in your area and spinning them in public could constitute "brandishing". :D

Are you going to let us know when the mysterious YouTube reviewer has a video up?

Of course! Should be relatively soon, as it's now in their possession. I did see a note on the tracking that indicated that the package was received by one of the post offices it bounced through in "damaged" condition, but I'm hoping that was just the outer carton rather than the machete itself since I packaged it QUITE securely. :p

Dual-Wield= yesssssss

Simply duct tape them inconspicuously to your back under your shirt, that's what I do. No scabbard needed, and for a super fast super hero draw you can just cut right right through your shirt and strike!

I'm in for at least 3 with special grade sharps! .....

hummm.... now to start collecting materials to work up a sheath for them...

Wood inlay leather wrap?.....just seems wrong to stick em in Kydex to me...

Part of the fun with them is that they'll be affordable enough to motivate heavy customization. Slap carbon fiber scales on one and stick it in kydex if you want! :p

How's that YouTube review coming?

~Chip

Back