in praise of military & tactical knives for the woods

+1 on the Hell Razor being a good outdoors blade...

mike790.jpg

I look at all those SOGs in this thread, and I don't see them as anything other than woods knives (good looking ones too!). But than again, I've never really understood the term "tactical knife", "tactical firearm" has a better ring to my ear......

Im with you on the idea o tactical firearm being a much better term, prisoners manage to stab each other to death with bed springs just fine.

What kind of sheath is that? i love the setup.

Im with you on the idea o tactical firearm being a much better term, prisoners manage to stab each other to death with bed springs just fine.

What kind of sheath is that? i love the setup.

The sheath is a Spec-ops, with a special made insert to fit the Hell Razor...

The sheath is a Spec-ops, with a special made insert to fit the Hell Razor...

That explains it, i thought it was but i own one of those sheaths and i couldnt jam any of my busses into it so i knew there was something speacial happening. may i inquire where you acquired such an insert?

That explains it, i thought it was but i own one of those sheaths and i couldnt jam any of my busses into it so i knew there was something speacial happening. may i inquire where you acquired such an insert?

Robert at Survivalsheathsystems did it. See the knifemakersforum.

Bushman - Sorry if we got off topic here....

That's interesting.

My Hellrazor fit into the standard Spec Ops survival sheath with the standard insert.

Why didn't it fit?

A classic; Remember the John Ek bowie? I wouldn't mind having this one for woodswork too. Wish they were still around.

See how the guard's length doesn't exceed the blade's height? I also like how "neutral" the handle ergo's are :thumbup:

3-222-ek.jpg

Oooopps! My bad! Apparently they are still around (I like the top one better though) -

Ek-Bowie.jpg

Last edited:
A classic; Remember the John Ek bowie? I wouldn't mind having this one for woodswork too. Wish they were still around.

See how the guard's length doesn't exceed the blade's height? I also like how "neutral" the handle ergo's are :thumbup:

3-222-ek.jpg

more info on that sheath if you dont mind! looks like riveted firehose???

:thumbup:

^ Sorry man, just posted a random pic. We have all heard though of Ek knives distinguished history.

more info on that sheath if you dont mind! looks like riveted firehose???

:thumbup:

The sheath is made from material very similar to what is used in a military pistol belt. It's simply folded over at both ends and sewn as well as riveted. It measures 2.25 inches wide.

3-222-ek.jpg

Oooopps! My bad! Apparently they are still around (I like the top one better though) -

Ek-Bowie.jpg

Argh kills me to look at them.
Always wanted the M4 and M5.
In the mid/late 1990's when Blackjack went belly up Cutlery Shoppe was selling the last of the Blackjack EK's cheap for $79 a pop! Thats some with micarta grips and even nice leather sheaths!
Never had the cash at the time to buy any.
:(

Argh kills me to look at them.
Always wanted the M4 and M5.
In the mid/late 1990's when Blackjack went belly up Cutlery Shoppe was selling the last of the Blackjack EK's cheap for $79 a pop! Thats some with micarta grips and even nice leather sheaths!
Never had the cash at the time to buy any.
:(

( :eek: Incomprehensible Tagalog expletive :grumpy: )

Dang! Yep, that rightly hurts!

One more. Probably my favorite. ;)

Some years back (in '05-'06 I think?) a talented Brit custom maker by the name of Guy Stainthorpe released a couple of models (goes by Guycep over at the British forums). One model immediately stood out, it was intended for duty in the armed services. It became popular enough that he offered it in three lengths.

I Immediately generated large amounts of drool when I saw it!

shadow-sheathed-007.jpg

shadow-sheathed-012.jpg

14.jpg

ShadowFG004.jpg

I used my SOG seal team elite antil stupidly got rid of it. It did good chopping considering its size. My old Kabar USMC did alright also but neither would I now keep as my primary blade in the bush.

Back