Incredible Gift From Carl (Jackknife)

How could one not be gracious in the face of such a generous gift?! As the archetypal poor college student for whom a case peanut was an extravagant investment, this knife is way nicer than anything I could afford myself. That Carl was willing to part with such a nice knife and send it to someone he has never met in person is mind-blowingly generous, and I am very thankful for this incredible gift. Haha I've actually been acting like a 5 year old about it all day, I get excited every time I remember it's in my pocket.

Nate, your obvious joy at having this knife is my ample reward. My old man once told me that we should try to leave things a bit better as we pass by. Sometimes that means helping someone out. I know what it means to be stretched thin on finances, as I had to start all over once in my life after a mishap. And too many young people have no mentor or grandfather in their life. Especially one who shares a love of knives. The longer you hang around this forum, the more you will see a rare generosity that does not exist elsewhere. I have seen generosity on this forum to and by people who have never met, yet they consider themselves friends. I have been gifted knives by people I have never met. I have, in turn gifted out knives to people I have ever met. Mark Twain once wrote that it was a shame that one could not pick one's family as carefully as one would pick your friends. The people on this forum, should I ever meet them, I would not hesitate to call brother. Or sister, depending on gender. What better people to be generous with, than chosen family? And given our mutual obsession on knives, I can think of no other way to put it than Shakespeare's Henry the fifth; "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

So, given that, what better way to pass on a knife than to a spiritual grandson?

Use it well, Nate.

Carl.

Mark Twain once wrote that it was a shame that one could not pick one's family as carefully as one would pick your friends. The people on this forum, should I ever meet them, I would not hesitate to call brother. Or sister, depending on gender. What better people to be generous with, than chosen family? And given our mutual obsession on knives, I can think of no other way to put it than Shakespeare's Henry the fifth; "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

So true, Carl. I was deeply touched by the same sentiment expressed to me in an email from Paul Hilborn after our recent exchange of knives. He wrote, "You're like my brother, we exchange things we know the other will enjoy all the time. . . . So brother---thank you!!!

So beautifully stated by both you and Paul. And there is a lot of that taking place among the members of this traditionals sub-forum. I am thankful to be the recipient of such kindness. It elevates my heart in ways few other experiences do.

Wow, what an incredible sentiment. I truly appreciate your words, and am honored to be included as a member of the traditional group.

I really like that knife. I too carry a small fixed blade almost daily. I find that it is much easier and faster to use than a folder. The one I use most often is a McAhron neck knife I have sown into the inside of my leather jacket.
15ED7404-3E50-4DFD-850B-8E9ACA71B3BD-3614-000004A984C8CEBD_zpsae5278ab.jpg

And Carl, one of these days I'm going to find a knife you want that you don't already have....

Dang it Paul......I didn't need another project. Lol. I think I have some 1/16" 15N20 that I could make into a similar knife. I could see that being really handy. Reminds me of Bob Engnath's Feather pattern.

On topic......Carl is a most generous man. He gifted me an Opinel that came int my life at a real low point. Made the difference to me. Great man. Someday sir, we will sit and have a coffee together. And I'm buying.

Welcome to the Trads forum. :D

Back