Indepth look at the Maxpedition Lunada.

Hey guys,

I haven't really gone over the Max lunada yet and I figured some would like to know the in's and out's of the pack. Sorry for the bad pics, I wasn't really watching out for lighting.

First up, Im very impressed with the overall fit and finish of the pack. Its durable, and has with stood the last two weeks of EDC, and that is really everyday use, it goes every where with me. The zippers have held up fine, their supposed to be yyk, but I dont see any markings on them. Its been comfy so far too, I've had it on a couple day hikes and when not totally stuffed its rides fine and tight to the body if need be (jogging or running) also, the padding in the strap is very comfy, as well as the stuff on the back, no probs with Ergo's in other words.

One thing I like is all the attachment options and little nooks and crannies in the pack. The first is the Cell phone pouch on the front, fits my HTC touch perfect. Then a few of the alice webbing.
P2030237.jpg

P2030244.jpg

P2030245.jpg

It also has a built in whistle in the chest strap, which is handy on any thing, plus it works pretty well. Its no Fox 40, but its loud.
P2030238.jpg

The front pouch is more of a sleve.It has no depth to it, but its about 5X5" over all.
P2030250.jpg

Then the pouch behind. Its good for any glow sticks, multitools(ive had a blast, wave and gerber 400 series in their) lights, mini pry bars. Then there is another sleve in this pouch that holds my hot hands, duct tape and a few bags.
P2030247.jpg

Next up is the top pouch. It has my spare batt's, along with some wire, chap stick, wet stone, latex glove, change and the odds and ends I need for the TK10, chicago screws and what ever else I need for attachments.
P2030252.jpg

The main compartment has 4 pouchs in total. One that folds out.
P2030254.jpg

More to come.

Then three base pouchs, they could fit a good sized camera, lenses ;) and whatever crap you would need. I keep a First aid kit, water and 100 of para cord.
P2030255.jpg

P2030257.jpg

The back also has a nice little sleve, which holds gloves for me. But I believe it holds a Glock 18, XD models and the like fine.
P2030256.jpg

By the RC6 for reference.
P2030258.jpg

Overall its a great pack, its a great size for a day or EDC bag and has plenty enough compartments to keep a girl say'ing "Which one do I fill up next??":D F'F is great, best Taiwan made prduct I've seen, definetly worth the money.

Thanks for the great review Fonly :thumbup: Nice simple kit you got in there too. How do you like the main snap buckle? Is it pretty robust?

ETA: you've inspired me to do a review of my new falcon-II, maybe I'll have some time to do it this weekend.

Nice review Fonly. Those maxpedition packs seems super well made and quite ingenious in they way they allow you to organize things. Also the outer face fabric is the toughest stuff going.

Rksoon, I wouldn't mind seeing your falcon II review as well.

I've got a ton of Maxpedition gear...I'll need to do some reviews at some point.

Great review and pics. It gave a good idea of what that pack can hold.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great review Fonly :thumbup: Nice simple kit you got in there too. How do you like the main snap buckle? Is it pretty robust?

ETA: you've inspired me to do a review of my new falcon-II, maybe I'll have some time to do it this weekend.

Yeah its THE most heavy duty buckle I have EVER seen.:D It closes with a commanding snap, very reassuring.:thumbup:

Also, a review on the falcon would be great, I've been eyeing that for a while now.:D

Thanks for the review. Last month I was trying to decide whether I would purchase the Lunada or the Malaga. After doing my research I went with the Malaga for two reasons. First, the Malaga is made to hold a 50oz. Camelback bladder. Second, the Malage is sized to fit a full size notebook/legal letter which is perfect for me when I take classes. I just got the Malaga a few days ago and agree with you on you assessment of the quality and convenience of Maxpedition Gearslingers. I haven't really taken my Malaga out for a day but from what I've seen so far, it should be perfect for hauling my stuff when I don't need the space of a full on daypack.

Thanks for the review. Last month I was trying to decide whether I would purchase the Lunada or the Malaga. After doing my research I went with the Malaga for two reasons. First, the Malaga is made to hold a 50oz. Camelback bladder. Second, the Malage is sized to fit a full size notebook/legal letter which is perfect for me when I take classes. I just got the Malaga a few days ago and agree with you on you assessment of the quality and convenience of Maxpedition Gearslingers. I haven't really taken my Malaga out for a day but from what I've seen so far, it should be perfect for hauling my stuff when I don't need the space of a full on daypack.

It ought to do well for you. Just don't forget to strap a few accessory pouches on it--that's half the fun!

Yeah its THE most heavy duty buckle I have EVER seen.:D It closes with a commanding snap, very reassuring.:thumbup:

That's great :thumbup: The buckle on my proteus wasn't that great, it came apart twice with some decent pressure on the straps (sorry, I don't have any means to quantify the threshold); I thought it was a real weak link on what was otherwise a great waistpack. Good to hear the buckles on the gearslingers are better.

Also, a review on the falcon would be great, I've been eyeing that for a while now.:D

Rksoon, I wouldn't mind seeing your falcon II review as well.

I should be able to get it up this weekend; I want to take it out on a hike first so I can provide my impressions on how it fits and rides.:thumbup:

Do you have a pic while wearing it. In my experience the guy in the maxped ad is tiny. I have a remora which is much smaller than I thought.

Thanks for the review.

Matt

Thanks for the review! I've got some Maxpedition products, they are tough as nails.

Never had a Maxpedition pack but I like them a lot after seeing their utility and amount they can hold. Thanks for the review Fonly!

Great minds think alike.Great choice bud.
I really love my Lunada gearslinger.I really like it in the summer when your hiking in the heat of the day.The smaller pack lets you get rid of more heat.
Your right that buckle is good and strong.both of my Max bags have great buckles.I use my gearslinger for light "scout" hikes and my Condor II for my normal day hikes.My collection of malace clips is huge now.lol yours will be too.

:thumbup: Great review,I was looking at one on the net have not made up my mind quite yet but ,your post is not helping(making me spend my Cash that is )...LOL :D Maxpedition items are addictive.....:)

Back