Ineresting development in the M marked axes!

AgentH, that looks just like the ones that have a Collins stamp. The weight and M stamp look the same, first time I have seen one of those with a Plumb stamp. Not sure what they called that pattern?

. . .
BTW i have seen some craftsman hatchets stamped made in USA which did have that M on them ( in these cases not the Sears oem code for vaugnan ) so I'm thinking that some M axes definitely had to be made in the USA. . .
FWIW, Here is a picture of a Sears with "USA - M":

32618205055_4be398a2f1_c.jpg

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sea...704183?hash=item2829b95737:g:yHwAAOSwZQRYe9by

Bob

AgentH, that looks just like the ones that have a Collins stamp. The weight and M stamp look the same, first time I have seen one of those with a Plumb stamp. Not sure what they called that pattern?

I instantly thought the same thing. I actually did a double take at the plumb stamp.

Because it is not stamped "CRAFTSMAN"? I don't understand what "form of M in question" refers to. thanks,

Bob
the M in question is the Mann/Mexico M being discussed in this thread, which this one is not.
This one is an example of the oem code that Sears ( weather in the craftsman line or not ) used to identify Vaughan made striking and or swinging tools.

the M in question is the Mann/Mexico M being discussed in this thread, which this one is not.
This one is an example of the oem code that Sears ( weather in the craftsman line or not ) used to identify Vaughan made striking and or swinging tools.

Post #63:

Stanley definitely got into huge trouble back in the 80's for lying about where products were being made, so it would make sense that the m marked Stanley axes could've been made in Mexico.
BTW i have seen some craftsman hatchets stamped made in USA which did have that M on them ( in these cases not the Sears oem code for vaugnan ) so I'm thinking that some M axes definitely had to be made in the USA.
I guess there's no real way to know for sure, so we'll just have to let sellers know of the risk with these so we can get them cheap enough to gamble on them having decent steel.

First, if I have misinterpreted the intent of this thread, then my bad. I am not seeing the specific Mann - "M" connection. Other brands are also mentioned in this thread. I thought the thread was about "M"s on any brand.

Also one post above says an "M" on a Craftsman indicates that it is made by Vaughan, and the other one says it can have the "M" but not be an indicator of Vaughan. Logically these two statements can both be true. Is there a way (and NOT a gotcha question) to identify the manufacturer of a Craftsman axe?

Bob

Post #63:

First, if I have misinterpreted the intent of this thread, then my bad. I am not seeing the specific Mann - "M" connection. Other brands are also mentioned in this thread. I thought the thread was about "M"s on any brand.

Also one post above says an "M" on a Craftsman indicates that it is made by Vaughan, and the other one says it can have the "M" but not be an indicator of Vaughan. Logically these two statements can both be true. Is there a way (and NOT a gotcha question) to identify the manufacturer of a Craftsman axe?

Bob
Isn't it a common theory that the M stamped axes are either from mann or Mexico ?

My original point was that some craftsman / sears axes have this common forms of M stamp found on many axes , but others have a different M stamp that is one that Sears used as the oem code for Vaughan.
Basically making note that there was a different form of M stamp that is unrelated to what's is commonly found on old axes.

The biggest majority of craftsman / Sears axes are untraceable, but when they have an M on them they can be traced. I'm pretty sure that the Vaughan M is always in with the main stamp of the head, as every time I see one that's not its usually one of the generic M's.
I hope this makes sense now.

. . .

The biggest majority of craftsman / Sears axes are untraceable, but when they have an M on them they can be traced. I'm pretty sure that the Vaughan M is always in with the main stamp of the head, as every time I see one that's not its usually one of the generic M's.
I hope this makes sense now.
Thanks, I think the following illustrates what you are saying?

Most likely a Vaughan:
. . .
32618205055_4be398a2f1_c.jpg

. . .

Generic "M" (not likely a Vaughan):

Bob

Thanks, I think the following illustrates what you are saying?

Most likely a Vaughan:

Generic "M" (not likely a Vaughan):

Bob

Yep, that's it.
There a picture in this thread of an illustration of the generic axe M's and if you look at it you'll see that they're kind of particular and that the Vaughan M doesn't fit.

This is from YesteryearsTools FWIW

Marking used on some PLUMB single bit axes and hatchets. The letter “M” sometimes appears by itself and sometimes with a mark above the letter “M” which was from the top edge of the stamp. The letter may have stood for a significant distributor that sold axes so marked.
MORE INFORMATION:
Cross reference articles published on the YesteryearsTools
web site that relate to this article;
Yerkes. Jonathan
Champion Axe + McLaren Information (Publication Pending)

Good addition Bob!

Obviously it stands for Mystery!

M for Mexico?

M for Mann?

M for Collins?

M for Craftsman?

M for Vaughn?

M for Plumb?

M for Hytest?

M for Mystery?

I feel a Hardy Boys mystery title is in here somewhere…

:)

So just to add to the pile of ideas, the B under the two lines to the right of the word Craftsman is apparently a manufacturer code. Unfortunately I can't find a reference as to who it would stand for. If this were an M next to the word Craftsman, not the one on the back that would have stood for Vaughan from claims I've seen.

I didn't think it was redundant at all. Those two axes, in my mind at least, represent two different marketing/production times.

Sharp is cool, thanks Bob.

Back