Inexpensive with good quality like Victorinox, Mora and Opinel?

I'm been out of the loop for a while.

What brands and models are considered to have good quality for a low price? From before I remember Victorinox, Mora and Opinel, what else is out there? Any newcomers?

I'm been out of the loop for a while.

What brands and models are considered to have good quality for a low price? From before I remember Victorinox, Mora and Opinel, what else is out there? Any newcomers?
All three of the makers you note provide excellent bang-for-the buck. So do companies like: Sanrenmus, WE/Civivi, Ganzo/Firebird and a great many others.

The price/product quality quotient has changed greatly over the past several years, although some remain in denial.

Hi sog,

Aside from the three excellent Knives you mentioned (I own several) you might want to check out the following Knives as all are excellent. (I also own all listed below) :

HARDBALL

Marttiini, Hultafors, MAM, Joker, Antonini, Douk-Douk, Mercator, Dexter-Russell Green River, Old Hickory, Svord, Pallares Solsona.
Becker BK14 is an outstanding small knife. Other Becker models, while more expensive, are still excellent values. Condor knives have gone up, but are still pretty good values.

Last edited:
Check out the standard Rough Ryder traditional slipjoints. The "Rough Ryder Reseve" line isn't all that "inexpensive", IMHO, being at the Case price point.
Also good, but slightly more expensive that the (standard) Rough Ryder's are the Marbles, and from what I've seen over in the Traditional's sub forum, the recent production QUEEN and Queen City.
SMKW owns the Rough Ryder, Marbles, Queen and Queen City brands. All are made offshore.
The BTI offshore production Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer knives are also high quality.
The Old Timer "OTB" knives have real saw cut bone covers and 9CR18MoV (quote) "440C Equivelent" (end quote) blades.
From the ones I've seen, the BTI Imperial knives are good quality, but have 3CR whatever blade steel, as do the 37x and 38x of shore Buck knives.
BTI did discontiue the Swinden Key construction, so the Schrade/Huncle Henry and Old Timer slipjoints have the stronger pinned construction again.

Last edited:

Product details

Dimensions: 10.5 x 1.8 x 3.0 cm / 4.13 x 0.7 x 1.18 in (closed),
17.9 x 1.8 x 2.6 cm / 7.04 x 0.7 x 1.02 in (open)
Weight: 30 g / 1.05 oz
Material: Stainless blade steel, beech wood
Origin: Austria

fyi
I saw that. Also saw,

"Dry the blade after use if it gets wet. Do not let the blade air dry (risk of rust film!)."

Oh well. Any experience with it? Does it seem relatively decent?

Opinel's biggest plus is the 12C27 steel.

Victorinox's plus is the logo. ;)

as far as budget product.s go
i won't hold it against any manufacturer
for withholding precise information
concerning the steel grades.in use.
heck, i wouldn't expect anything higher than wonderous kitchen grade.stainless steel. what's important is the manufacturing know how and skill that goes behind it.

"....

The name HACK as knife makers is already mentioned in documents in the 6th generation and goes back to the 15th century. Until the 1960s we exclusively produced the original "Trattenbacher Taschenfeitel". Since the sales figures of the pocket knife decreased considerably, we changed our production to hand knives of all kinds.
At the beginning of the 60s our current company building was built. Our predecessors at that time were particularly proud of our hydroelectric power plant which was equipped with the most modern turbine. 2 years ago it was completely overhauled and still covers a part of today's electricity needs.
In the 70s the production was considerably expanded and since then we have been producing various snack and vegetable knives, kitchen knives, dining cutlery, staghorn and hunting knives. While in the past the handles were only made of wood, today high-quality plastic is used in various colors which according to the spirit of the time is dishwasher-safe. Our best known and top-selling product is the so called "Pipe Knife" which is sold under the brand HACK-STAINLESS
In 1985 the company was taken over by the married couple Ludwig and Irene (née Hack) SCHARNREITHNER in order to continue the old tradition of knife production.
A significant step in our history was that in 1992 we established a modern tool and fixture construction. With the help of special, computer-controlled wire erosion machines and CNC machining centers, we were able to gain well-known companies in Austria as customers, most of which are active in the vehicle manufacturing industry. We achieved a good reputation, especially through customized products. At the same time, we are able to manufacture all our tool molds for the knife shop in-house.
We are proud to be one of the last knife manufacturers in Austria that are in the position to still produce everything in-house, from the metal sheet to the knife blade and from the wooden log to the knife handle.
Since 2004 we are ISO-certified "EN ISO 9001".
We are also particularly proud of the fact that since autumn 2015 the "Taschenfeitel" has been an intangible UNESCO World Heritage Site...."

I saw that. Also saw,

"Dry the blade after use if it gets wet. Do not let the blade air dry (risk of rust film!)."

Oh well. Any experience with it? Does it seem relatively decent?

I am not sure what Opinels biggest plus is but it isn’t the steel.

There are some very good and good priced :
Mora, some Frosts, Ontario, Buck, usually Cold Steel, Rough Rider, Portugal MAM, Fox Italy
recently I discovered Honey Badgers - very nice and good made

Back