INFI in the Woods - An East Coast Camping Trip - Weekend of 4/28/17

Whoa...you guys found the "Money Tree" Nicccccce!!!!

5D648EEC-4B27-4F8C-B062-95C5129AF0C4_zpsr5o5y6rg.jpg

THAT is AMAZING. :cool: Great work fellas! :thumbsup:

they say money doesn't grow on trees. I am going to plant an infi tree this year.

Huge thanks go out to rcb2000, breavis5694, resinguy, and F'lar for coming out to WV and camping with me this weekend. It really felt like camping with family! Great friendship, great conversation, great knives, and great food, I already can't wait for the next trip! Here are some pics from this weekend:

Some of the pile:

No boxer running around?

Looks like a great time. All that chopping, care to share impressions on the models?

Awesome of you to put out the invite

I was the first to pull up Friday, and started getting stuff settled

F'lar showed up first and we had some show and tell, he's got some great comp finish, and some very nice work from Ndocyk on a few of his knives.

This had to be one of my favorites, so unique, great balance, and an awesome back story.
Heres the story of it that Guy shared with me.
An EU Mr. Mofo, with the hook ground down by Mr. Brown, AWESOME!
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-grail-by-crook-or-by-hook.708371/

Another cool one from Guy, a 1/3 SHBM that Cobalt had Jerry make for him, with the birds beak pommel, made from fatty LE blanks if i recall, more on that one later

Classic SHBM

Guy's KILLER beef barbacoa for dinner Friday night

Friday night was incredibly rainy, I stayed dry and couldn't wait for Saturday, when the real fun began...

Woke up to rain starting to fizzle out..

Gotta love Guys cooler

This black walnut was no joke,, super hard and did not want to split! No more batonning if we wanted to have an arm left for chopping

More people starting to show up,, now the fun starts

Zmbhntr's Urban Fudge, just gorgeous

His BB13 back from Josh at Razors Edge,, this thing was a beast!

First thing I wanted to do, was put these two beast head to head. I thought it was actually close,, until Zmbhntr showed me that the sweet spot on the Sasquatch was actually about 3 inches towards the handle of where I was hitting,, then I realized the absolute insane chopping devastation this thing is capable of,, just ridiculous!!!
On a side note, the BG WTF, is easily the sleeper of the year IMO. It was in the top echelon of big choppers performing. It bites deep and is actually pretty easy to swing for its perceived size.

Battle of the Bolo's
I'd have to give the edge (no pun intended) to the CG from Razors edge, its a performer for sure, although the others with Guys regrind were no slouches either,, he does some very nice performing edges with that 1x30
BTW, that Boom Parang in the back is just AWESOME... great design from Busse, a real worker

This pic shows some lighter similar dimensioned blades that a few of us put head to head. The Satin Battle Rat was the winner IIRC, up against a B9, Crowell Barker, and a Carothers Light chopper.

Super nice toys Zmbhntr brought

Now here's why if anyone had the chance to come to this trip,,they really should have. Where else can you go chop to your hearts content and put head to head a
ASHBM (wasn't sure as it looked double cut,, but def not satin,,,was from Knob)
SHBM 1/3 Fatty
ASHBM CG
SHBM original
That order is my ranking for performance..

How about seeing if your CGFBM is on par with someone else's??

Last edited:
So how about a head to head with a
TGLB
TG
TGBG
TG Crusader
My thoughts, are that while the TG packs more heft for chopping, the TGLB is where its at IMO. Quick in the hand, well balanced, and a great all arounder.

Close up of the INFI and friends tree

Did I mention this rattles the earth when it hits?? I think the MOAB was matching it as far as deep bites (but remember,, this MOAB still had a pretty beat up edge after a run in with a wild printer)

This EU was so great in hand,, quick snap cuts and limbs were gone

Food was scarce,, but we managed

Tiramisu for dessert,, I may have been a little heavy handed with the rum and espresso..

Then unfortunately we had to sit by a fire with Whiskey and Cigars,, we really roughed it!

This year even topped last year IMO,, BIG thanks to Zmbhntr, Resinguy, Breavis and F'lar,, you guys are awesome,, what a blast.
Cant wait for next year!!

Last edited:
No boxer running around?

Looks like a great time. All that chopping, care to share impressions on the models?

Awesome of you to put out the invite

We definitely missed you this year buddy! No boxer running around for me this time, she is still a puppy and can't yet be trusted to not run off. Since I knew I'd be pretty busy with camp activities she stayed at home with my wife and kids. I hope you had a great convention btw.

In regards to impressions on the models, we each have a lot of them I would say. I'll type some of mine up when I have some more time. Rcb2000 was definitely the most methodical in his testing, so he will probably provide some input in short order as well.

For dinner last night rcb2000 cooked us up Hanger steak's on a rocket hot cast iron griddle. The were served with twice baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob. He also brought us a very nice demi-glace sauce with blue cheese, typical camp fare :D

Oh my damn the steaks were good! Rcb2000 is an amazing cook. Here is a short video of the Hanger's sizzling on the griddle just in case smell-o-vision is invented down the road and people in the future watch this video.

Much of our time this weekend was spent chopping on downed trees with knives, but we did decide that for various reasons there were a couple of standing trees that needed to go. Rcb2000 and myself went at this tree with a small camp axe (3.25lb head with a 19" handle) while brevis, resinguy, and F'lar taunted us from a distance. We were persistent in our endeavor; however, and were successful at making the hinge cut with the axe. We did have breavis use the chainsaw for the back cut though. By far the best quote from the video: "Hit it with the MOAB!"

Too kind zmbhntr,,
Don't forget the killer barbacoa tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, fresh ground spicy sausage and fresh hen eggs for breakfast, thick cut bacon, cupcakes, cigars, booze,, we ate like kings! :thumbsup:

Back