1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Silver Needle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Eeeny meeny miny mo...

2. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    I read through all the comments on the latest Instagram post from Survive, and buried under all the complaints about the lead time was a statement by Guy that the number of preorders tapers off sharply once the 4.1 model is completed. That is encouraging news since they've been shipping the 4.1 since at least March (when I received mine).
    They could be working through the 4.1 for a really long time still, if you recall the 4.7 took over a year to close out once they started shipping.
    It does give some kind of time frame for when Survive ought to be able to get things under control, and it looks like it might happen in 2018.
    My fingers are crossed for you Survive!

Standard78 and chiral.grolim like this.
  3. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    This quote is my favorite by far (bold added by me):

:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Standard78 likes this.
  4. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    So glad to hear it. Those in the workshop and those waiting by our mailboxes need these better days ahead! Let's go, SURVIVE!

5. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Chiral, I think that Guy was referring to the 4.1 Starter orders being on the bench for fitting and assembly.
    He also said that the 4.1 was by far the largest production volume model, but it didn't start that way.
    The 5.1 and the 4.7 had more Starter orders than the 4.1 and were produced before the 4.1 for that reason.
    The preorders for the 4.1 weren't closed for another six months after the Starter closed, and some unknown number of presales, seconds and uglies have been purchased as well. I'm glad that the end is near for the starters (depending on how big Guy's bench is ;) ) but I think that they still have a substantial number of 4.1 units to ship.
    All the speculation is fun, I know I certainly enjoy it, and I wish Survive all the best, but I'd be shocked if the production backlog didn't last well into 2018.
    Edit: Oops, I forgot my final emojis so folks know I'm a jolly well meaning fellow. :thumbsup::D

chiral.grolim likes this.
  6. TommyG19

TommyG19 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Major information update on the Survive Instagram page. Apparently Guy and Ellie purchased some huge historic vacant hotel in Kellogg, Idaho, that burned down last week. Total loss. Cause of fire unknown. Guy says the knives were fine (sounds like they weren't stored there). Guy says that they made the down payment on the hotel "some time ago" and planned on the building to be the Survive home and an investment for them. Maybe someone can post pictures?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYrDK-fjg8p/?hl=en&taken-by=surviveknives

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  7. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Damn, talk about a total loss fire. Nothing left but a pile of bricks.
    I'm really glad that nobody was hurt and that the company hadn't moved in yet.
    Hang in there Survive!

8. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Also glad no one was hurt. Still, hoping that building was the only thing that went up in smoke...

9. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Oh, yes, thank you :thumbsup: That is how I understood it as well, though clearly I did not indicate as much in the post, apologies :oops: Now some guy is gonna be pissed because his GSO-12 isn't ready yet :p "But I read a quote on bladeforums from a post you made on instagram that ALL of the starter orders were on your bench and would be shipping out soon!"

Fancier likes this.
  10. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Woah!
    Here are the pics and quote concerning the fire:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Well hell :(

12. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
  13. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks Chiral, there is a lot of background in that story.
    I'm amazed that the fire didn't spread further.
    The emergency response teams did a great job containing it.

14. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    How truly terrible. What a tragedy. Thankfully there was no death or injury, but what a loss, financially and emotionally.

15. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Guy has posted a short video of the GSO 4 LTD on Instagram.

16. chiral.grolim

Dec 2, 2008
    Darn, I cannot embed an instagram video, I'd need to upload it to another site first... Anyway, here is the link to the video and the quote from the page:

https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagra...91_1630675930289307_5365347835644477440_n.mp4

17. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I do hope that Guy was insured. More than likely, he was...if he got a loan to purchase this building...
    ...talk about some bad luck...

18. TommyG19

TommyG19 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    You'll notice, S!K has removed comments from their Instagram posts. Hm. Anyway that knife looks good.

19. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
  20. squarebox86

squarebox86

Feb 6, 2014
    Embed the picture for context:
    [​IMG]

It is extremely worrisome that that it looks like a hollow grind instead of a true flat sabre grind. Been avoiding any knives made by Millit knives as it seems that they only do hollow grinds, afterall the guys behind Millit knives were from Chris Reeves knives.

Will be keeping a very close eye on this. If they aren't truly flat sabre grind, I'll definitely pull out all my orders as I never had a good experience with hollow grinds even on a Sebenza...

I have been a big fan of S!K for a long time and have a nice collection of S!K knives. I am able to tolerate the long waiting times but now getting a totally different knife will be the last straw for me.

Let's hope SurviveKnives will not become the next schradepocalypse, "survivepocalypse" or "skpocalypse"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017