• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Insurance?

Okay, I'm confused. I keep seeing these ads that say if I want them to insure the knife that I just paid for, I have to include an additional sum of $7 or so.
When I sell a knife, it has been my practice to use USPS Priority Flat Rate Box with tracking number and I always buy enough insurance to cover the knife in case it disappears en route.
I've always heard that:
It's the buyer's job to make sure that the seller gets the money.
It's the seller's job to make sure that the buyer gets the knife.
So the seller has the responsibility of getting the knife to the buyer, and must refund the buyer's money if the knife is gone.

It stands to reason..to me, anyway, that the seller should buy insurance to protect himself, if the knife is not delivered. Because, IMO, the purchaser is going to get his money back and will NOT stand the loss.

Opinions? thanx
Sonny

This should really go in GB&U, and it's been answered there before, but yeah, it's the seller's job to get the package there, so insurance is solely for the seller's protection.

That's why I stay away from sellers who put in "add $x for insurance" in an ad--because they don't understand their responsibility.

edit: Now complete with quotes :D

Good idea for both sides to confirm those details: who will pay for what. But the rules are telling you that the seller is responsible for insurance. HOW he provides it is up to him:

Buy it from the carrier, or
Buy it from an insurance agent, or
Self -insure.

Just don't tell the buyer when the package doesn't arrive that he didn't pay for insurance so he's out of luck. The seller is responsible for getting the package to the buyer or refunding his money. Insurance insures the seller, not the buyer.

(Spark speaking of a seller)

It's on you regardless if the package is insured or not. It would be stupid not to insure the package, as such you should always include the price of insurance in the cost of shipping. If the buyer specifically requests you to ship uninsured, it'd be wise to refuse.

Last edited:
I completely agree.

Thanks for adding the quotes.

Doesn't get any clearer then that...

Last edited:
This should really go in GB&U, and it's been answered there before, but yeah, it's the seller's job to get the package there, so insurance is solely for the seller's protection.

That's why I stay away from sellers who put in "add $x for insurance" in an ad--because they don't understand their responsibility.

edit: Now complete with quotes :D

(Spark speaking of a seller)

yea, thats the general rule unless otherwise agreed. the only exception may be international trades or sales.

USPS insurance covers the party sending the package only. While "never" is often incorrect, I never heard of insurance available to addressees of packages.

Under law, the risk of loss in shipping is on the seller unless the parties expressly agree otherwise.

There's dealers that will tell you unless you pay them an extra small fee, they won't be responsible for delivery. They don't even buy any insurance, it's a fee they charge and collect keeping it unless they have to make good. I've ran into two of them when buying knives and I don't purchase from them anymore.

Yes, there is a dealer that posts this at the bottom of his ads;
"If you want insurance or signature confirmation, that is additional and at your expense. Items are shipped FOB"
He is a real A-hole and I will never do business with him again. If you want to know who just ask.

If I am selling a cheap knife $50.00 then I don’t bother with insurance. but when I sell a knife for $100.00+ I make them sigh for it plus insurance too. that way if any thing happened I got to be covered and I will not get any negative feed back out of the deal. There is only so much that I can do as the seller. Knock on wood I have never had any thing go wrong yet.

Thank you, folks, for setting my mind at ease, and for moving this thread to the proper forum. And...I should have used the Search function...:)
Good day.
Sonny

Back