Intangible Value...(GAW)

There's an intangible value to these knives. It's something that transcends the monetary and reaches deeper. It might be a little different for each of us but there's a common pulse that connects us.

Now, I fully acknowledge my relative new coming to this wonderful "Traditional" knife genre. Or, more accurately, my return to it. But, in all my decades of loving knives, I can't remember a time when I've been happier and more excited about my pursuits and interactions than since I committed to this seemingly shrinking corner of the knife world.

I get joy from my knives of varying styles but there's just something different about these ones. The Porch is just such a great place to while away some time. The pictures are amazing. Old things that are so wonderful. New things that dazzle. Knives from all over the globe and from the very cheap to the very expensive. They all get admired and appreciated.

Maybe there's a sense of connecting to a simpler time. Ironic given the platform but no less genuine. Perhaps there's a degree of reconciliation, an acceptance, of things beyond just the knife.

There's something different with you folks. Sure, snippets of kindness and camaraderie can be found in any group but it really shines here.

Charlie's (@waynorth) situation is a shining example. Not only were you folks awesome but Charlie was amazing. So sincere and humble in his incredible courage.

Alright, I've rambled away long enough and wouldn't blame ya if you've scrolled on past so...

THE GIVEAWAY PRIZES:

First is a Black Arkansas Stone from Hall's Pro Edge. I bought a few stones from these folks and they were the nicest old couple. I once sent an email thanking them for their selection and service and Mrs. Hall actually asked me if I was interested in buying the business! She explained that they were old and wanting to retire and that their kids all had other careers. They sold it and well, let's just say it isn't the same.

The stone is 4"Lx2"Wx1"H. I played around with it a little but it's more or less brand new. The red "X" on one side was just me wanting to keep orientation to see how the stone wore in. Habit and the stone was never used that much.

IMG_20190621_171907457_zpstrancmiw_edit_1561163206611_zpsx624zzuk.jpg

IMG_20190621_171918872_HDR_zps6tilvtrc_edit_1561163280164_zpsvfjzwzrk.jpg

IMG_20190621_171932416_HDR_zpskhch04oa_edit_1561163366726_zpsvu2tq5sg.jpg

And along with that is a Buck Canoe. This is the knife that lulled me into trying Traditionals. It had sat on a shelf for some time as when I received it, I just dismissed it. But as I found myself increasingly unsatisfied with my knife endeavors, it beckoned me to give it another look, another feel. And it ultimately led me to posting here asking for input.

IMG_20190621_173757835_zpsk7hcrdxk_edit_1561164030159_zpsegirfkel.jpg

IMG_20190621_173816689_zpsmtsa9tds_edit_1561164072245_zpsxsgxvutq.jpg

IMG_20190621_173825609_zpscri7ftit_edit_1561164122112_zps0gnqrllr.jpg

RULES:

Post something positive. Can be about another member, a family member, personal thoughts, whatever, but reply with something positive.

I'll close this out around July 1st. I'll draw numbers (post number) and send you a box. Not sure how international will work but we'll sort it out.

Thank you everyone. :)

I’m definitely in. I have a thing for sharpening stones.

Hobbies have always come and gone for me. Some have stuck around longer than others, but knife collecting has somehow turned into a forever enduring part of my life. And it’s not really because of the knives. I still love knives, but I have more than I could ever dream of wearing out. It’s the people that truly keep me in the hobby, namely those here on the porch. This is truly a very special place. A haven where I can always visit, and always leave as a better person.

You said some very nice things, which I agree with completely. The real pull of the Traditionals are the people. It took awhile for me to acclimate to the vibe, but once I did, I felt surrounded by a kind and generous spirit here. It’s very communal. I have often discovered through the open revelations of others how to be more empathic than I thought I was. This is a rare and wonderful place, thank you for your thoughtful GAW. Please allow me to join in. Thank you.

Eli, I’ll jump in on your give away. No one can argue the world is a different place today versus 10, 20, 30 or 50 years ago. While I appreciate modern technology, it has its disadvantages, but without it none of us would probably have ever communicated with anyone else on this forum. The traditional sub-forum is by far the most generous and well mannered forum I have participated in. Perhaps the discussion of traditional knives brings out more traditional values in people? Who knows, but I’d like to think so.

I’ve been gifted knives from and I’ve gifted knives to total strangers who just happen to share a common interest. Pretty amazing what a piece of steel that cuts something can do to bring people together.

I'm in too, Eli.

I agree with what the others have said about the traditional forum. Wonderful group of people here. This is a great place to unwind. I have a stressful job, and it's nice to spend some time here, sharing our enthusiasm for this "hobby."
And I've made friends from around the world that I never otherwise would have "met."

"I'm in" for Buzzbait Buzzbait , he would really appreciate that stone.

I like the Porch because it is an island of civility in a sea of horrible behavior, which is the internet as a whole.
Here, people show interest in each other and treat everyone else with kindness and respect. Even when we disagree on something, it never turns into a big poo flinging contest, we just acknowledge the difference and move forward. I also enjoy the attitude towards traditional knives as nostalgic tools and pieces of art, rather than weapons or a showcase for modern steels. It's a great place to pull up a seat, make some friends, and tell some stories.

I'll go in for this. And I very much appreciate the opportunity!

I wanna compliment @r redden . Randy was the first member to gift me a knife. For not hiding my Christianity. I remember well. A blue as ground case copper lock. Very useful knife. I don't carry it often but it'll not leave the drawer of knives that where given or gifted to me. (Bottom left corner). Randy is one of our best and most generous and the place wouldn't be the same without him.

ACEA8C04-89DC-4845-A054-B837971CD3A8.jpeg

I would love a shot at that stone! Similar to what was stated above, this is my wind-down place. After a long day at work I can just look through the pictures and comments here, often without adding anything myself, and get back to a better state. It is also nice to have a place to share my knives and actually get some feedback:)

I've been drawn to bladed implements for as long as I can remember. I don't know where it came from, it must come from deep within my bones because my father never even bought me a single knife. This is a place where I can commune with like minded individuals, and I treasure it as I have made friends I never would have from distant locales like Canada, England, Finland, Italy, and Sweden.

"I'm in" for Buzzbait Buzzbait , he would really appreciate that stone.

I like the Porch because it is an island of civility in a sea of horrible behavior, which is the internet as a whole.
Here, people show interest in each other and treat everyone else with kindness and respect. Even when we disagree on something, it never turns into a big poo flinging contest, we just acknowledge the difference and move forward. I also enjoy the attitude towards traditional knives as nostalgic tools and pieces of art, rather than weapons or a showcase for modern steels. It's a great place to pull up a seat, make some friends, and tell some stories.
A great sentiment John :thumbsup:
I agree completely.

Thanks for this GAW Eli Chaps Eli Chaps .
A canoe is a pattern I currently do not have so I'd like to enter. As far as something positive, lemme say that The Porch has been a great surprise and has expanded my knife interests greatly. I have knives from a Spanish maker, and am currently awaiting a custom fixed blade from a BF member. I shudder to think about the state of my hobby without BF.
You all are a great group of knife-nuts. I raise a glass to all of us :)

This really is a special forum with a bunch of really great people. I lurk and like more than I post and interact, I like to think I’m still part of the porch tho and applaud the accomplishments and morn the sad times if only in spirit.
Not an entry as I’ve won more than my fair share over the years but I do want to thank you for this generous giveaway and wish all those entered good luck.

Jim

Traditional knives make wonderful use of natural materials. I have nothing against G10, micarta or carbon fiber but a wood handle feels really good in the hand. The same can be said of jigged bone or polished buffalo horn.

I really do like traditional knives very much.

I'm in!!

I just enjoyed a 4 day "boys trip" with my two sons, my brothers son (same age as my older boy) and my dad. It was fun to have three generations at the same place I have so many memories growing up. Fishing, swimming, camp fires, riding a 4 wheeler arround, and sitting on the beach at the lake....

I'm a fan of canoes, and broke the spring on my only canoe (a Queen/Pardue collab in D2), so that buck would go right in to carry rotation!

Thanks!

Back