interesting law for the great north ; ) knives allowed up to 2.36"

Just thought I'd mention this one, since normally, USA laws are more permissive than Canadian laws when it comes to knives. (Everyone by now has likely heard how our border shipping inspectors like to confiscate almost any folding blade able to be opened with 1 hand)

However, It turns out Canadians have the right to carry knives with blades up to 2.36" (6 cm) on domestic flights. This is strictly prohibited in the states.

It's likely a result of our religious freedom laws, but that's okay, it's still nice to know that if you ever forget your SAK classic or even spydy dragonfly in your pocket, you're probably ok for flights within Canada : )

reference
https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/sharp-objects

thoughts?
any chance this will be allowed in the states?

This is sad to read as a person that has worn a full sized fixed blade on my hip in a drop sheath to the grocery store, literally stared down by a cop, and nothing happened. Because Ohio has intent knife laws. If I'm caught carrying a knife while breaking into a home, they might classify it as a weapon and charge me, but if I'm buying beer to go camping and chop wood, I'm fine.

Wish civilians could have autos though. Knife laws suck.

Several years ago the US was headed this direction, but it got "reevaluated" and shutdown shortly after it was publicized a bit.

Several years ago the US was headed this direction, but it got "reevaluated" and shutdown shortly after it was publicized a bit.

Spyderco even designed a knife to comply. The regulation change petered out, but the Roadie™ still came to market. I'm guessing it does well enough in UK/Europe.

Just thought I'd mention this one, since normally, USA laws are more permissive than Canadian laws when it comes to knives. (Everyone by now has likely heard how our border shipping inspectors like to confiscate almost any folding blade able to be opened with 1 hand)

However, It turns out Canadians have the right to carry knives with blades up to 2.36" (6 cm) on domestic flights. This is strictly prohibited in the states.

It's likely a result of our religious freedom laws, but that's okay, it's still nice to know that if you ever forget your SAK classic or even spydy dragonfly in your pocket, you're probably ok for flights within Canada : )

reference
https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/sharp-objects

thoughts?
any chance this will be allowed in the states?
I think this reflects the well known observation that Canadians are on average more polite, more tolerant and better behaved than Americans (also my impression from the 2 years I spent living in Canada). If the US allowed knives, you would have maskers and non-maskers on planes cutting each other's throats in no time. Drink more Molson!

Last edited:
I think this reflects the well known observation that Canadians are on average more polite, more tolerant and better behaved than Americans (also my impression from the 2 years I spent living in Canada). If the US allowed knives, you would have maskers and non-maskers on planes cutting each other's throats in no ti
Gee, I wonder why they have such ridiculously restrictive gun laws? Given that they're so much more polite, tolerant, and well behaved than Americans.

I live in Minnesota right on the border with them, I've been more times than I can count.
Now that I've answered your question, how about answering mine

I live in Minnesota right on the border with them, I've been more times than I can count.
Now that I've answered your question, how about answering mine
It's because in the US we have the gun lobby that buys off politicians.

It's because in the US we have the gun lobby that buys off politicians.
Repeatedly ducking the question is not answering it. We had our gun rights well before there was ever a gun lobby.
You suggested that Canadians can carry knives on planes because they are so much more polite, tolerant, and well behaved that they can be trusted with them and we can't. So why doesn't the same logic apply to guns? Canadas gun laws grow more restrictive every year

Repeatedly ducking the question is not answering it. We had our gun rights well before there was ever a gun lobby.
You suggested that Canadians can carry knives on planes because they are so much more polite, tolerant, and well behaved that they can be trusted with them and we can't. So why doesn't the same logic apply to guns? Canadas gun laws grow more restrictive every year
Apparently Canadians, unlike many Americans, feel that gun rights are subordinate to considerations of public safety. Otherwise they would have a powerful gun lobby as well. This is consistent with my characterization of Canadians. But maybe our Canadian friend can weigh in. Sure, I would like to be able to carry a knife on a plane. But we don't have a powerful knife lobby.

Let's try to not let this thread get shut down for going overly political with a comparison of gun rights between US and Canada.

The TSA was set to approve small blades for air travel in the US, but as I understand it, the Pilots Union protested and the plans got scrapped.

I don't even try to carry my Jetsetter on planes anymore. Too many TSA agents can't comprehend that it doesn't have a blade. If I need to fly with a knife, it's in a zippered pouch zip-tied shut and also zip-tied to the interior of a checked bag.
SAK_0_6263__S1.jpg

Apparently Canadians, unlike many Americans, feel that gun rights are subordinate to considerations of public safety.

As easily seen in the US cities or whole states with the most restrictive gun laws, the relationship between gun laws and public safety isn't what most people believe...

The majority of violent crimes committed with knives involve common steak knives or kitchen knives which are found in pretty much every home.

It might be said that the knife and gun laws that do exist are more based on emotion than fact: Automatic knife laws are very common even though they are rarely used in violent crime. They look scary and dangerous but restricting them probably has little to no effect on reducing knife crime; same as with semi-automatic rifles. Other than a few high-profile cases, they are actually used in a tiny minority of gun crimes compared to handguns, which are highly restricted in most areas.

Do you know of one person who doesn't own a knife? I don't... Will restricting a certain size or type reduce crime?

Apparently Canadians, unlike many Americans, feel that gun rights are subordinate to considerations of public safety. Otherwise they would have a powerful gun lobby as well. This is consistent with my characterization of Canadians. But maybe our Canadian friend can weigh in. Sure, I would like to be able to carry a knife on a plane. But we don't have a powerful knife lobby.
Ok, I understand guns are lethal weapons (as knives can be too), so lets look at another thing that those much more polite, tolerant, and well behaved Canadians are prohibited from carrying, pepper spray. Outside of maybe an isolated extreme allergic reaction, I don't know of anyone ever dying from pepper spray, but it's illegal to carry in Canada (no matter how polite, tolerant, and well behaved you are).

My guess is your original post was meant somewhat jokingly, and perhaps you got confused about where you were, and thought you were commenting on twitter instead of BF, where it's all the rage to bash the United States and its citizenry.
I would remind anyone who thinks our country is an oppressive barbaric sheethole, that you know where the door is.

Apparently Canadians, unlike many Americans, feel that gun rights are subordinate to considerations of public safety. Otherwise they would have a powerful gun lobby as well. This is consistent with my characterization of Canadians.
Doesn't sound like a joke to me, but rather something that you believe.
You only said you were joking after I offered that as an out to you.

People categorizing our country and it's citizens as oppressive savages has been a bit of a sore spot for me as of late, hence my response.
Let me try to make amends for derailing the thread by getting it back on track.
Someone I know was recently able to fly with their SOG key knife on their keychain, but I think it was only because TSA didn't recognize what it was.
I really don't see restrictions on prohibited flight items being rolled back anytime soon here in the US, but good for you Canada for getting it permitted.

Last edited:
Back