Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
  2. chuko

chuko

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks I feel lucky to have these old beauties in my collection. The whole so much more enhanced with the background in this thread that you and Jack have contributed to.
    Charles

3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I recently got another couple of knives off Stan (who I also saw yesterday). Here's the first of them.

[​IMG]

This was a pattern Wostenholm's did when they were owned by Schrade. Stan worked there at the time, so you may find his initials inside if you come across one of them. They were produced with rosewood scales, and with satin-finished blades and bolsters. Stan was given a few of the old parts a while back, and decided to make them up. This one has buffalo covers, and mirror-polished blades, as well as a bar shield. Rather than just his initials on the liners, it has Stan's full tang stamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What it doesn't have though, is Stan's new 'B.E.M.' stamp, commemorating his 'British Empire Medal', and seen here for the very first time.

[​IMG]

Stan was working on some very fancy Sportsman's knives, and since many folks here probably haven't seen a split Lobster spring, I thought I'd take a pic :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

4. ADEE

ADEE

Jan 9, 2014
    Good work Jack ! Thanks for taking the trouble to post this. Most interesting.

Jack Black likes this.
  5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Beautiful, big, and a page for the history books!! Great knife, Jack. Please pass my admiration along to Stan!!

Jack Black and Campbellclanman like this.
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks for demystifying the lobster.

Jack Black likes this.
  7. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Good to see Stan's smiling face and more photos in one of my favorite threads :thumbsup:

8. Old Bowie

Old Bowie

Oct 10, 2005

9. Old Bowie

Old Bowie

Oct 10, 2005
    Another one of Stan's big beautiful works of art. A legend.

10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot gents :thumbsup: The recent forum changes have altered all the punctuation in the pre-existing threads. Re-editing them is rather tedious, and is not always possible where posts contain a lot of images, because of a change to the number of images allowed. I was able to re-edit the first post of this thread, which was quite badly affected by the changes, and at some point, I'll try and replace the missing images :thumbsup:

Mason Knives likes this.
  11. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Awesome stuff Jack- THANK YOU from all of us in sharing with us your friendship with Stan and a small part of his World.

Jack Black likes this.
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Duncan, you always get mentioned when I visit Stan [​IMG] When I got there the other day, Stan was chatting to an English couple, and their teenage Kiwi granddaughters, who live in Auckland :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  13. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    :eek: Jack - do I see what I see?

BEM - now that us something really special. How awesome.

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    ;) :thumbsup:

15. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Good to see a table full of knife parts, and better yet to see Stan back at work. :)

Jack Black likes this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Some of those parts relate to the second knife I bought from Stan recently, or at least to one like it. It's a Ruler Knife, a pattern I collect, and which dates back more than a century. I rather like them, and several members of my family, going back at least to my Great Grandmother, worked at James Chesterman's iconic Bow Works in Sheffield. Cost quite a lot more than all my others put together, and the blades are stainless, but it's a nice knife :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WhittlinAway and Peregrin like this.
  17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I learn something from Stan everytime I see him, usually several things in fact :) I'd always thought that the Lobster pattern was named because of the appearance of the blades when open, but Stan reckons it's actually named for the shape of the spring (imagine how it'd look when fitted in the knife) :thumbsup:

18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Hmm. (mind secretly boggling)

Jack Black likes this.
  19. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Jack,
    The links to the Stan Shaw videos are much appreciated. The video interviews are absolute treasures!

20. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    TGhat Knife there is simply amazing Jack- what a beauty!! Really neat to see something like that!