Is an SAK all you need?

The Vic Classic is just too small for me if you cut anything with any regularity.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of being part of the recent challenge to carry one knife for the month of march. I used a Cadet all month and it was a real surprise just how much that little knife could do. One of the things that I learned is that I never want a knife with a blade any smaller than the Cadet. Never. My normal size blade for EDC is 3 to 3 1/2 inches. The Cadet is 2 1/2 inches. What would you use a smaller blade for anyway ?

The distractors of The Swiss Army Knife all come down to they think they are a full time work tool. I don't consider them a full time work tool but an occasional tool that I am most likely to have on me for occasional use. Most people only need some tools occasionally, be it knife, scissors, tweezers or bottle opener. There are better dedicated tools for full time work but who is ever going to carry a full sized tool box about?

I have a Leatherman Charge TTi for the pliers and heavier duty multi-tools it has. But wow its heavy and has to be worn on the belt. Same goes for many of my knives. My full sized tools require a tool box, and no multi-tool is going to compete with my toolbox. So it all comes down to a lifestyle thing, and even then there are few reasons not to carry a Swiss Army Knife even if you have your toolbox with you.

For what they are they are brilliant, for one you might just be carrying one when you need it. Better a Swiss Army Knife in your pocket than a tool box 30 miles away in the garage.

The distractors of The Swiss Army Knife all come down to they think they are a full time work tool. I don't consider them a full time work tool but an occasional tool that I am most likely to have on me for occasional use. Most people only need some tools occasionally, be it knife, scissors, tweezers or bottle opener. There are better dedicated tools for full time work but who is ever going to carry a full sized tool box about?

I have a Leatherman Charge TTi for the pliers and heavier duty multi-tools it has. But wow its heavy and has to be worn on the belt. Same goes for many of my knives. My full sized tools require a tool box, and no multi-tool is going to compete with my toolbox. So it all comes down to a lifestyle thing, and even then there are few reasons not to carry a Swiss Army Knife even if you have your toolbox with you.

For what they are they are brilliant, for one you might just be carrying one when you need it. Better a Swiss Army Knife in your pocket than a tool box 30 miles away in the garage.

I agree with this.

They do come in handly for those 'just in case' situations when you're out and about.

I've read articles and seen vids by some people who only carry a single-bladed knife (usually a 'tactical' knife) who show off how they can open a can of food with their knife without ruining their blade tip/edge. The thing is, you can very easily open that same can with the Victorinox can opener. And if you're used to them, Vic's can opener can open cans cleanly and quickly. There is no need to test the blade edge in a 'survival situation' if you have an SAK on you. And it takes up very little space. SAKs are very versatile, and you can also improvise with the implements beyond their obvious intended purpose(s).

Jim

Yes, it is. Today i had to use my victorinox SAK to survive, i had to go out despite being very sick and cut me a soft and long stick of what i guess was salix in order to use it to unclog my toilet
That reminds me, gotta get the sap off it
victorinox-soft-grip-tinker-wabemuster.jpg

Last edited:
I think in depends on what fills your day whether work or play. If you spend your time in a office type environment then I would agree the SAK is probably all you need. If you're an outdoor guide, game warden or spend your waking hours in the great outdoors a SAK might come up short more than the office dweller.

That's when you add the second knife. The basic tools of a SAK do come in handy in the outdoors. You just often cut things that might be a bit robust for a typical SAK.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of being part of the recent challenge to carry one knife for the month of march. I used a Cadet all month and it was a real surprise just how much that little knife could do. One of the things that I learned is that I never want a knife with a blade any smaller than the Cadet. Never. My normal size blade for EDC is 3 to 3 1/2 inches. The Cadet is 2 1/2 inches. What would you use a smaller blade for anyway ?

Good choice. I didn't participate officially, but I in fact did participate with the new Hen & Rooster small stockman (3.3" closed) which is very different from anything I have carried for years. I think I can live with this knife as a regular carry if I wanted to. Jack Knife is the one that kind of put a bug in my ear about peanuts and their convenience/utility. I do like traditional slip joints, I just generally have chosen larger models.

After carrying my SwissChamp daily or almost daily on my belt for years now, I certainly would say it's all I need; what a well designed tool! I carry an accompanying full-sized knife because I prefer a locking blade with an ergonomic handle. This doesn't change how excellent the SwissChamp is as a multi tool.

I think one can easily get by with just a swiss army knife. Most people don't even have a knife. I always have a SAK on me. I keep my swiss champ in my car, and depending on what I am wearing, I almost always carry my pioneer, if I need to be more discreet, I carry my cadet. The swiss champ in my car gets so much use, probably more than the pioneer in my pocket since I normally pull out my one hand opener such as native5 or 940-1. I find I use my swish champ for the pen, the tweezers. I use the pliers to pull more wick through in my zippo, then the scissors to cut off the excess. I use the metal file to clean and file my nails, and the Philips screwdriver. such a useful tool. My standard procedure with my knifes is as follows: I use my one hand openers for most cutting tasks. I keep my SAK very razor sharp and only use it sparsely when a very sharp blade is more ideal for very precise cuts. I have even shaved with my pioneer one morning in my car when I got to work and noticed I hadn't shaved. It was not the smoothest shave in the world, but it got the job done surprisingly effective.

The title of the thread is wrong. It should read: "Is a SAK all you need?" not "In an SAK all you need?" Sorry, it just bugs me. You see it all the time.

Oh, and by the way, if SAK is pronounced "sack," then it is proceeded by an "a"...but if it is pronounced "ess ay kay," then it IS "an."

But, really, thanks.
Hah touche! Good one Marcie!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes - a SAK is likely all you need. It is more than what I need - mine is bulky, heavy and $$ so it sits in a drawer at home

I keep cheap multi tools and 4 in 1 screw drivers at my office and in the cars. I don't mind having to walk back to the car if someone needs to borrow one....even if it is a block or two....I need to lose 50 lbs.

Every tool has it's use. I have always kept a SAK on me for going on 30 years. There were times I kept a razor knife handy when cutting a lot of cardboard, but otherwise the SAK is all I need. The blade is long enough, but if you need a larger blade, Vic has the 111 and 130 series with locking 3.9"blade plus other basic implements. I'm eyeing the Soldiers knife, AKA the Trekker, with olive drab handle. I can understand different tastes, just don't tell me the SAK can't do everything. If I didn't mind wasting my own stuff, I could've gotten by without a razer knife just fine, but if the company wants to supply the cutting tool, I'll not turn them down.
I doubt that I'd want to baton with any folder, the fact is batoning is a recent development that's seriously overrated and I'd prefer a hatchet for chopping wood. Knife chores can be done with any knife, but sometimes you need to punch leather. The corkscrew is great for undoing knots and who doesn't need a screwdriver occasionally.Can opener and bottle openers are even more handy. If you need to scrape some paint, do you really want to use you're knife edge or a screwdriver. That's the beauty of SAK's. When you only have a blade, sooner or later you'll try to use it as a screwdriver, scraper, prybar or more stuff that a SAK actually has the proper tool for. The only other knife I'd carry is a Leatherman, but for me those are a bit cumbersome for my taste. I'll stick with my SAK, it's all I need.

The Executive SAK takes care of 99% of my EDC needs, and is almost always with me in my watch pocket. Pro tip: the orange peeler also works as a micro-saw on many materials, and is perfect for cutting thru zip-ties.

Hilarious thread! And, no, I don't care how you pronounce the word. These small tools are a marvel of construction. The answer is yes. The Swiss Army Knife could be all you would ever need. They are in fact, THAT good. Few companies know how to fashion a better selling blade, if any...

Of course, adherents of the BF culture simply can't be shackled to one knife brand or style. The blatant addiction courses on through the fog unabated.

A lot of the time when I use my knife, I often have one of my hands full. So no, an SAK is not all I need, as 1 handed opening is absolutely mandatory for me.

If I'm being honest, probably. I've been carrying a Spartan (occasionally a Climber or Hiker) for the past few months, almost exclusively during the work week and haven't really found them wanting.

The 111mm Vic Forester or the discontinued 109mm Vic Safari Trooper has everything I need day-to-day - that's what I EDC (although the GEC #98 Texas Camp Knife is a temptation). But in the office and around town, I'll usually add a Busse Game Warden; on weekends in the wood shop/garden or on day hikes, I'll replace the GW with a Busse Active Duty. But always a Vic SAK. ALWAYS.

Need? Yeah... a bottle opener and a blade are all I need on a daily basis. Bonus points if it's got a pen in it.

But accessing anything in an SAK is the bane of my existence. Love Victorinox and the entire style, I have several because they're just plain cool, but they're the last things I'll choose to carry.

I'm a lightweight multitool guy. I carry a Leatherman Style on the keychain everywhere as the bare minimum, and unless I'm wearing gym shorts, I've also got a main knife or a Skeletool on me.

Back