Is an SAK all you need?

If we were truly honest with ourselves we'd admit that a SAK really is all we need day to day and most often more than we really need.

Chuck Norris carries a Micra. It beat up McGuiver's SAK classic.

Trademark roundhouse kick to the head.
Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

The victor with his boot in the throat of the weakling Classic.
Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

In all seriousness, I can't imagine giving up the Micra scissors in terms of everyday carry. They're that useful to me. In fact, every implement on the Micra gets used at least weekly it seems.

Being that I have big hands, one thing I like about the Micra is how it can be opened up like this for a full hand grip. The same trick can be used with the screwdriver blades too, making quick work out of screws. Also, the tool can be opened up on a 'L' shape for putting more torque to a screw and the tool can take more of that than the SAK's I've owned.

Micra whittling by Pinnah, on Flickr

IMO, the place for the Micra is in the pocket, not the key chain. In my pocket, it gets used constantly. On the key chain, I have to fumble with the keys.

What ever flavour of SAK I have on me has done 99% of what I needed. That 1% though... I always carry a SAR capable blade either in my pocket or in my pack/bag/briefcase/jacket.

Back