IS Cold Steel's Carbon V brittle?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tom271, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Tom271

Tom271 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2013
    There is a video on YouTube of someone breaking their scout in about the same location nutnfancy's friend broke.

2. Tom271

Sep 17, 2013
    I like the fact that the old carbon v blades are made in the USA. Also they don't make an ODA in O1. If they did it might be a different story...

DocJD likes this.
  3. Tom271

Sep 17, 2013
    Good find! It seems like CS changed the radius of the blades at some point. My srk is also a second but as I said before it has been used to baton logs. Even during the winter in temps below freezing and I have had no problems.

G. Scott H. likes this.
  4. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    It's not nonsense. Thompson and Maragni collaborated for over a year on the development of the Trail Master. While I have no doubt that Maragni supplied most of the input on heat treatment (he was consulted for his expertise, after all), Thompson was hardly illiterate on the subject.

This is from Maragni's current bio on the Ontario site:

My commercial production experience was a direct result of my high quality custom work and led to my 25 year relationship with Cold Steel, Inc. I began consulting on steels, heat treatments and edge geometries and then spearheaded their move to US production and the commercial use of high performance carbon steels. My responsibilities included every aspect of production from rough drawing to finished knives and included training operators and quality control personnel, designing and making fixtures and gauges and establishing manufacturing procedures.

It doesn't mention anything about his ever having worked at Camillus, let alone acting as the company's metallurgist. Was he employed by Camillus, or was he employed by Cold Steel to oversee Camillus' production of Cold Steel's knives?

This is what Lynn Thompson wrote about Maragni in 2003 on the twentieth anniversary of his association with/employment by Cold Steel. Note paragraph three.

[​IMG]

Thompson fully acknowledges Maragni's contributions. While they are obviously significant, it's disingenuous to imply that Dan Maragni did all the work and Thompson just took all the bows. That doesn't seem to be a proper characterization of their relationship.

As Scott pointed out early in the thread, you can find examples of broken knives of every stripe all day long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are Busse knives brittle?

Before considering heat treatment as the deciding factor, you might want to examine what you intend to use your knives for. The ODA (in all its forms, including the original Randalls it's patterned after) is first, last, and always a fighting knife design. In that role, it will serve well. Likewise, the Bush Ranger may perform yeoman's work in the woods, but it was really offered as a lightweight fighting bowie, not a bushcraft knife. The Trail Master and Recon Scout are better bets if you want a heavy-duty woodsman's knife.

In my experience, Cold Steel's Carbon V is excellent steel.

-Steve

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    G. Scott H. likes this.
  5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    You know that Phil Gibbs was a designer at Camillus. Perhaps you will take his word for it...

6. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the posts. I had seen them before, but I was glad to read them again. I'm not questioning the fundamental significance of Dan Maragni's part in the formulation of Carbon V. Lynn Thompson said pretty much the same thing in the article I supplied. I'm simply saying that I believe Maragni was working for Cold Steel, not Camillus, and that Thompson's role was not merely that of pitch man, as he's so frequently characterized around here. Lynn Thompson has been every bit as much of a hands-on, driving, creative force for Cold Steel as Sal Glesser, Al Mar, Pete Gerber, or any founder you can name has been for his respective knife company.

-Steve

DocJD likes this.
  7. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Lynn Thompson is one of the most innovative knife designers and producers of the last 20 years. Maybe 30. I have bought maybe a dozen or more of his knives over the years and have yet to find one that did not perform as advertised. Lynn Thompson is welcome at my campfire any time.

The Whip and DocJD like this.
  8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I agree that DM may have been working for Cold Steel. Certainly he worked wherever Cold Steel was having Carbon V blades made. (Alcas, Ontario, Camillus)

My point was that Thompson had nothing to do with setting the heat treat parameters as was implied in the original post to which I responded. He may have asked for a specific Rockwell hardness, but that would be as far as his input would have gone.

9. Armadew

Armadew Reisloafer

Nov 22, 2006
    What knives did he specifically design?

10. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    I wouldn't call Thompson innovative as a designer. Where his vision lies is that he's willing to take chances, and put into wide scale production designs that were mostly dead or usually in the realm of just custom makers. He does deserve a lot of credit for that.

11. Tom271

Sep 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here is an oda with the handle removed. Has a slight radius where the tang ends.

G. Scott H. likes this.