Is H1 a good steel for an edc knife?

Hey guys, I am planning to get a new knife next week. One that I am really leaning towards is one of the Spyderco Salts. I have no experience with H1 steel, but I read that Mr Glesser said H1 edge retention is on par with aus8. If I go with one of the Salt H1 Spyderco's, it will probably be half straight/serrated. I also read that the serrated H1 is better than VG10.
Anyway, would H1 be a good choice for an edc blade? Does the info about edge retention match your experience? Which model would you recommend as an edc blade? Btw I like medium to large knives. This knife may not be used hard, but I want something that would hold up to hard use if the need arises. Thanks

I think H1 would be a perfect choice. It is low to no maintenance. If edge holding is a concern, then get the fully serrated. The Pacific Salt is a great knife, the same basic knife as the Endura, so it is a medium to large knife. The Salt is a Delica sized knife and about perfect as a pocket knife.

Hey guys, I am planning to get a new knife next week. One that I am really leaning towards is one of the Spyderco Salts. I have no experience with H1 steel, but I read that Mr Glesser said H1 edge retention is on par with aus8. If I go with one of the Salt H1 Spyderco's, it will probably be half straight/serrated. I also read that the serrated H1 is better than VG10.
Anyway, would H1 be a good choice for an edc blade? Does the info about edge retention match your experience? Which model would you recommend as an edc blade? Btw I like medium to large knives. This knife may not be used hard, but I want something that would hold up to hard use if the need arises. Thanks

no, not good. Excellent is the word.
Large size? Pacific Salt for the win
Strong, durable edge? Serrated H1 all the way

20170515_122717_zpsn08qk2yf.jpg

It'll take use, abuse, and will be an almost maintenance-free steel in an incredibly sturdy and lightweight maintenance-free folder

It is a great choice but I highly recommend getting the serrated version. PE H1 is a bit lackluster in its performance but serrated H1 is outstanding. Serrations are VERY easy to keep razor sharp with the Sharpmaker. (If you don't have a sharpmaker then that should be very high on your list too.)

It is a great choice but I highly recommend getting the serrated version. PE H1 is a bit lackluster in its performance but serrated H1 is outstanding. Serrations are VERY easy to keep razor sharp with the Sharpmaker. (If you don't have a sharpmaker then that should be very high on your list too.)

I'm good to go on the Sharpmaker. I was considering the half serrated/half plain version, but now I'm leaning towards the all serrated. Thanks for the replies so far.

Pacific Salt serrated is an awesome edc. Longer blade than some, tough steel and stays pretty sharp. You can beat this knife without hesitation. I did the "gringo" tip mod and like it even more. Enjoy.

I'm good to go on the Sharpmaker. I was considering the half serrated/half plain version, but now I'm leaning towards the all serrated. Thanks for the replies so far.

I wouldn't do a combo edge, even though I can't even think of an H1 blade that comes w/ combo. Serrated H1.

30433415595_4bb67b63b1_b.jpg

29814392945_da737813b0_b.jpg

This is from last summer - we laid sod at my sister's house.
29437977185_e6b18d3da8_b.jpg

+1 on a fully serrated edge AND the Sharpmaker. I can absolutely guarantee that you won't regret either.

Pacific Salt serrated is an awesome edc. Longer blade than some, tough steel and stays pretty sharp. You can beat this knife without hesitation. I did the "gringo" tip mod and like it even more. Enjoy.

Do you find yourself using it just as "hard" or are there now certain tasks that you are a little more careful about the tip? I'm just curious if the mod compromises everyday use in some way.

OP, sorry for the thread drift.

+1 on a fully serrated edge AND the Sharpmaker. I can absolutely guarantee that you won't regret either.

Do you find yourself using it just as "hard" or are there now certain tasks that you are a little more careful about the tip? I'm just curious if the mod compromises everyday use in some way.

OP, sorry for the thread drift.
No comprimise in any way that I can tell and use it just the same. I'm just learning about steels but the H1 is really different in a great way.

I wouldn't do a combo edge, even though I can't even think of an H1 blade that comes w/ combo. Serrated H1.

30433415595_4bb67b63b1_b.jpg

29814392945_da737813b0_b.jpg

This is from last summer - we laid sod at my sister's house.
29437977185_e6b18d3da8_b.jpg

I wasn't sure if they made one with the half serrated or not. I just figured they did since the Delica and Endura come that way in VG10.

I wasn't sure if they made one with the half serrated or not. I just figured they did since the Delica and Endura come that way in VG10.

I (and many others on here) strongly discourage anyone from buying a combo edge anything...the concept sounds good but in reality they almost always being terrible as they try to be the best of both types but end up being good at neither.

There is a reason that there is so much gerber/Walmart etc junk in combo edge, the look and abusive users.

I think combo edge wouldnt be so bad if there was about 1 inch of plain edge starding at the ricasso and the after that inch the serrations ran all the way to the tip. Sort of the reverse of what most knives that have combo edges are. That being said, I havent used a combo edge since I first got into knives.

H1 is probably a great steel for EDC. The serrated knives hold a better edge because H1 steel is a work hardened steel. Grinding the serrations onto the edge actually hardens the edge more than when they sharpen the plain edge version

truth is, sd Gringo said, that the PE portion of the tip in the Pacific Salt is long and big enough to cover lots (most of, in my case) cutting needs requiring a straight, plain edge.

20170515_123013_zpskdxbe61q.jpg

If kept sharp (easy with the Sharpmaker) you have a scalpel-like edge for scraping, precision cutting, de-burring or other stuff

Personally, I rather like combo edges in a work knife but the Salt line does not currently offer one. What I would be happiest with would be a fully serrated pacific salt with about twice as much pe at the tip as the current model. Whether they called it a full serrated or a 75/25 combo edge, it would be very useful to me and I would prefer it to the current fully serrated model.

I often hear a saying repeated around here that "Combo edges don't have enough of either edge type to be useful". I don't even know what that means. Of course they are useful. Heck, the tiny bit of pe on the tip of the pacific salt is very useful. It would be even more useful if it were a bit longer. As far as serrations, a few serrations will often work just as well as a larger number. That said, I DO prefer the belly of a serrated knife to have serrations so my favorite type of "combo edge" is something like the 75/25 I described above. The old fully serrated Military is a decent example of this though I would prefer a tiiiiny bit more pe still at the tip.

I've been carrying a Pacific Salt PE for about 6 months now and love it. I wasn't sure about a knife that large at first but clipped into my right rear pocket it just disappears until I need it. The H1 is easy to sharpen and holds an edge pretty well. I touch it up with a strop every few days and sharpen it on Arkansas stones when it needs it. IMO great edc knife.

The typical 60/40 plain/serrated split of most combo edges really isn't useful in my experience. The only exception I can think of it probably the Emerson Commander (which is almost 4" long). I don't consider the SE Pac Salt to be a combo, it does have about .5" plain edge at the point which is nice, after that it's all the incredibly sharp serrations. I've never had them even start to dull, testing has shown serrated H-1 to be as hard as 68HRC.

According to Eric nothing out cuts serrated h1 steel that they have tested. The non serrated is about the same as 440c. The serrations greatly increase the hardness of the edge of the work hardened steel. My dragonfly h1 SE has out lasted and cut more that all my other knives combine.

I think he meant the hardness of the edge, since its a work hardening steel

Back