1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Is HideAwayKnife.com still in business?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Drew Riley, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Drew Riley

Drew Riley AR Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    I was just wondering if they were still fulfilling orders.
    I ordered one a week ago, but had a question about my order, so I emailed them within the next couple days.

Unfortunately, I havent gotten a response from "[email protected].com" and I was starting to get a little nervous.

I did some research and found out that there have been some past problems with HAK due to some family problems with Frontsight and a change of ownership/responsibilities.

I also found 2 alternate email addresses to which I sent inquiries a few minutes ago, but I was just wondering if anybody else has had recent experiences with www.hideawayknife.com, and what the situation has been like.

Also, if you HAVE made contact, what address did you use?

I realize that a week generally isnt long enough to fulfill an order, and the waiting isnt the issue. It's just the lack of response from the website's posted email after 5 days.

Anyone? Anyone?

2. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
    they have had their ups and downs. but from what i understand, the company is now back on track with some revamped management and production protocols.

i ordered mine on line about two years ago, and had no problem.

3. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    I was seriously considering getting one until I read all the horror stories about them on GB&U.I've since deleted them from my favorites list.Things might change,if I see people are actually getting their orders.I really like their designs.

4. s.c.

s.c.

Mar 2, 2003
    I've had great experiences with them about a month ago. Super fast shipping, decided to change models, great communication via email, and fast shipping again for the replacement. Now that the 440c models are in, I ordered a couple more and unfortunately, things are moving a little slower. I've been successful contacting them with [email protected]. I believe it is still primarily a one-man operation and with the arrival of the 440 models, I'm sure he's busy with orders. I have great confidence with my order based on my initial experience and my recent emails with them.

5. AlexSchira

AlexSchira

May 12, 2007
    Ordered my ready-made Utility last week, quickly got an email asking about the address I used to order, he was at [email protected]. My account was charged after a friendly exchange, but it'll probably be a few more weeks because I ordered an extra sheath that has to be made. I'm giving it a couple weeks before I ask what's going on with the sheathing, but for now everything has run smoothly.

6. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.)

Oct 9, 1998
    Let’s see if we can find the right forum …
    [​IMG]

7. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.)

Oct 9, 1998
  8. Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007

Thanks for the help guys. I happened upon that thread yesterday.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum at first.

I was just trying to find someone that had dealt with them within the last month or two (if not sooner), as 99.9% of the threads/posts/reviews that I have read previously have been AT LEAST a year old, if not up to 3 years old.

I think the latest update I had found before this thread was from January.

I noticed that the website had been updated in February, which wasnt THAT long ago, but I got nervous (after reading several feedbacks prior to ordering about extremely fast replies and great customer service) when I went (what is now SIX days) without a reply.

S.C.'s post is very encouraging, and I have finally figured out (after extensive searching) that I was directing most of my mail to the wrong email address. I sent an email to [email protected] yesterday, so I should be expecting a reply soon.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep this updated as soon as I hear something.

9. TheWayOfTheGun1

TheWayOfTheGun1 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2007
    I ordered a coogler claw and got it in a little over a week. Its sweet. It was in stock. If you order what is in stock I think your OK.

10. Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    Did you happen to check the status of your order and notice whether or not it was marked "shipped" during that time at all?

Currently it's been over a week and it still hasnt shipped.
    I dont really mind the waiting for shipment, so much as I mind the waiting for a response to my emails.

The smart thing to do would be to update the website with the CURRENT contact email, and at least send a message like "i'm swamped with orders, but you will be processed soon"

Heck, even a "I can't any orders out for a month, but I will get them out" would do.

For the record, I did order one that was pre-sheathed and in stock.

BTW.... WHEN did you order yours?

11. Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    well, I've sent a couple emails to [email protected] over the last few days, and still have yet to receive a single response.

I havent seen a change in my order status since the day I ordered.

Keeping in mind that this is an item that was SUPPOSED to be ready to ship (i.e., the knife and sheath were already finished) and that I ONLY ordered the knife, nothing else....

This is not good.

12. AlexSchira

AlexSchira

May 12, 2007
    This extra sheath of mine could add as much as six weeks according to the older part of the site, my estimate is I could get mine from mid-May to June. He did email me about the name I used to order as I stated, and my status says I've paid for everything. However, their dot chart hasn't moved me past 'payment' in the last week. I'm known for talking about this place and these knives far too much, for now I'm just glad to have nabbed one in my size. I will report back with any major changes, I'm curious how their new sheathing arrangement works since rumor is their new owner was or is the sheathmaker.

13. Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    just wanted to let everyone know that I received an email from William this morning. They are still alive and kicking!

Turns out he was just backed up on sharpening and shipping, and he is in the process of sharpening the batch that mine is in now.

I'm just relieved to have finally made contact and got a confirmation of my order.

Carry on William, and take your time!

14. s.c.

s.c.

Mar 2, 2003
    It took quite a bit longer than expected, but I recieved my 440c tiger claw today. I'm very happy with the quality of the blade. My utilty HAK is supposed to be in next week. I do wish the website was a bit more honest about estimated shipping, but there was good personal communication with the owner. He did let me know it would take awhile and I gave me the option to cancel. Overall I'm satisfied, mainly because I already have a HAK, but if this was my first, I'm sure I would've been a bit frustrated with the long wait.

15. nick-nack

nick-nack

Dec 14, 2006
    I heard its all good if you jsut order the instock utility models.... so stay away from the customs...

16. s.c.

s.c.

Mar 2, 2003
    That's the issue addressed in this thread. The OP and I placed the order about 6 weeks ago and the website stated it was in stock (440c models)...mine just arrived yesteday. They were indeed in stock, but unsharpened, which is why it took so long for delivery. I spoke with him over the phone yesterday, and it seems that the utiltiy HAKs will be sharpened and available next week.

17. TheWayOfTheGun1

TheWayOfTheGun1 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Ordered another one yesterday. A Coogler custom straight. It was in stock. So hopefully I get a good turn around time again. Ill keep you guys posted.

18. Lenny_Goofoff

Lenny_Goofoff

Dec 9, 2005
    I have paid for my straight utility on May 28
    got email from William on June, 5
    will post when the knife arrives