• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Is it poor form...

ohmyheckinslc

Gold Member
So the other day, I found a certain knife on eBay, several high quality pictures, seller 100% positive feedback, based in America, etc. Now, one of the pictures clearly showed that the knife being sold was a knockoff. With best intentions, I notified the seller they had a fake, proved it with photographic evidence, etc. I was, literally, just trying to be nice. I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt, that they didn't realize they'd acquired a knockoff. Well, seller never responds, and I noticed, this morning, that they'd removed the picture which shows the detail proving their knife is a fake. I've avoided specifics, but am happy to go deeper.

Is it considered poor form to notify a seller that they're selling a knockoff?

No. Used to do the same thing, but gave up...not enough time in the day. Just bought some airpods that should arrive today. Bunch of fakes out there, so did as much research as I could to be as sure as possible I'm getting real ones. Seller had multiples, and the one serial number shown in the pics comes up as legit, but we'll see about the one I get. If not, going right back.

Who's the seller? Nobody here needs buy anything from them, given that they've clearly exhibited a predatory sales tactic. (Not that I'd encourage anyone to buy any knife from Ebay.)

I don't think it is poor form, but I wouldn't do it because it lets the scammer know how you found out it is a fake and he will hide it better next time, making it harder for others to notice.
It is possible a seller really don't know, but probably everyone who sell clones I see on my country's local auction sites know what they are doing. Especially if they also sell other fake models. At least it is usually easy to spot. Scammers often write stuff like this is oem version directly from a factory or it was trade, gift, bought abroad that's why no box or no returns so look closely what you buy or decide yourself.

I don't know how it is on eBay, but here reporting don't work, they always ignore reports. And sometimes after local news sites write about them not doing anything, they post a statement they don't have enough experts to judge every item with 100% accuracy and don't want to block honest sellers who might be reported my malicious competition. So don't bother unles you are a maker or official distributor with rights to the product.

Definitely not bad form, but I'd say for every 50 you contact 49 probably wouldn't care.

Also ebay is usually rife with knock off damascus or pakistani damascus and only once in awhile do you find something from a reputable maker.

Love that there are M390 Pen knives being sold from China and they literally have 3crv13mov in the description but the blade is stamped M390 lol

It's never bad form to call out a thief for what he is. And fraud is most certainly theft. Life forms that live in dark places under rocks need a light shined on them. Like certain knife people that claim military backgrounds that they do't have.

Call em as you see them!:thumbsup:

I tell sellers about inaccuracies in knife auctions all the time. Most thank me.

So the other day, I found a certain knife on eBay, several high quality pictures, seller 100% positive feedback, based in America, etc. Now, one of the pictures clearly showed that the knife being sold was a knockoff. With best intentions, I notified the seller they had a fake, proved it with photographic evidence, etc. I was, literally, just trying to be nice. I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt, that they didn't realize they'd acquired a knockoff. Well, seller never responds, and I noticed, this morning, that they'd removed the picture which shows the detail proving their knife is a fake. I've avoided specifics, but am happy to go deeper.

Is it considered poor form to notify a seller that they're selling a knockoff?

Share the link and we can collectively report it.

Will be interesting to se what Ebay does with a lot of reports.

I usually look and see what else they are selling. If it looks like they are liquidating mom and dad's old stuff or have some average but legitimate knives I figure they probably don't know its a knockoff and let them know. Several removed the item or marked it as to what it is, a copy.
If all they have are knockoff goods it is a waste of time

Link?

Or is that bad form?!

Share the link and we can collectively report it.

Will be interesting to se what Ebay does with a lot of reports.

Links on the forum to current eBay sales/auctions are a no no. (Perhaps send the OP a PM?)

However, sharing the sellers name would be a good idea so people can avoid them. Straight up taken down the evidence that it's fake and going on your merry way is quite unscrupulous.

Its too bad on them they should know what they are selling. Some of them say clone, which i thought ebay frowned apon,but theres so many sellers they slip between the cracks.Heres a title thats good for some laughs;
Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 21 Knife Clone (3.625" Stonewash D2 Steel), USED

Condition:
New
Never saw a knife that was new and used at the same time. too bad theres so many people out there buying these clones and fakes,not sure if they know any better or not.

Last edited:
Why?

What is the actual problem with that if I may ask?

Links to any non-BF supporting dealer are a no no...we're trying to encourage business with dealers that support BF. Since eBay isn't a member here, can't link to active listings. But can link to ones that have ended.

Last edited:
Back