Is it worth buying multiples of certain knives?

My general rule for my collection is only one of each, but for my users I like to have a backup.

Multiples..... if you really love a particular knife, I'd get another one to hold as a backup user. I don't collect knives. The only knife I have exact multiples of is a Vic SAK Adventurer with the side lock; it was discontinued and I bought several to keep and use when I need them. It is primarily insurance against loss if you depend on a certain knife for me. I depended on that particular knife for more than 15 years; now I'm trying to carry and use a smaller SAK.

I have some slip joints that are the same pattern (different furniture). I've got two Spydie Endura's but with different blade (serrated and plain) and two Spydie Natives.

I used to feel like I needed to buy an extra knife of something that I really like. Not any more. They just pile up and I don't sell them.

What I have found is that unless a particular knife is really special to you (and I mean "really special"}, there are always new models coming out that catch your eye that may be similar or perhaps an improvement over what you have. So, I shy away from buying multiples of any knife. The extra knife pretty much just doesn't get used and eventually I shift to something else. Then for me it is just another benchmark in my knife accumulation and use history.

Ajack60 nailed it ! :)
Think of duplicates as a form of insurance
against the possibility that
a certain favorite knife model
may be dropped from the product line up
In the future.
Though i figure more than 2 might
signal some sorta awakening
or start of a renaissance phase
In a knife collector,
where one can never get enough
of a good thing.
Just imagine this, would one ever regret marrying identical twins ?? ;-)
Yep. If you found out you didn't t really like the first one .

You already said that you have come to a consensus, but I will throw my two cents in anyway. First off, I don’t see anything wrong with buying multiples of the same knife. In fact I have sold or traded knives in the past and ended buying another one just like it later on. It’s your money and your passion, so enjoy yourself.

I have many knives. I really like certain knives. So, if I loose or in my case simply leave it at a job site 100 miles away, I have another waiting to replace it the same day. IF that sort of thing is important to you, get a spare of the knife you really like to use.

Often my other knives would be just fine too. After all, I didn't purchase the knife if I didn't believe I liked it. It's a personal choice and your money to spend as you see fit.

The SAKs are the ones I really depend on personally. I carry various modern knives from week to week and I generally would not buy an extra one of those.

If I get a knife I find I like to use a lot, I will sometimes get a back up, particularly if I see it go on a good sale. Knives that I like but don t use a lot I don t usually back up since there s not much chance of damage or loss. Knives that I like a lot and use, are more likely to be backed up if the knife is being discontinued.
I never buy a knife with the intent of selling it later for a profit.

Hey everyone,

Got a question for you, but first I'll give you a brief backstory.

I've got a few knives in the mail at the moment but currently edc a gayle bradley 1. I love the gayle bradley 1 knife and the thought of purchasing another one has crossed my mind a few times. My question to you is...is it a waste of money to buy multiples of knives in the same steel?
Worth it??? I don't know. Whatever helps you sleep better.

kIRde5O.jpg

If you're a collector, then it's reasonable to expect that you will have multiples of the same model...and likely multiples of the same model AND blade-steel.
As far as more than one for a "back-up?" I've never seen that this was necessary.

At one time, a few years ago, I owned five ZT 0777 Damascus knives....

Trades and unexpected bills (both kids wrecked cars) have reduced that total to one... Glad to have had backups... But I hope to hold onto the last one awhile longer

I have two kids and I don’t want them fighting over who gets which of my knives after I die so at least 2 of each seems necessary. Necessary being the key word.
It may be a long long time before "who gets what" becomes important. Lots more knives can appear. I wouldn't concern myself with the kids wanting something. They get what they get.

To me it comes down if you understand what you truly want. For myself I still don't completely know what I want. So there's just way too many knives I'd like to own and try out, so buying a multiple isn't an option.
But honestly if I found an exact same knife I love for cheap on the used market I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I have multiples of many knives. I always liked the concept of having a backup of the same knife. ive never to this day needed the backup one of any of them. I'm not real hard on folders or blades. really dont need them but yet dont let them go either.

The knives I usually consider worth owning backups are either too costly or too hard to acquire in pairs. So the knives of which I own multiples are usually solid quality users I found at a significant markdown.

Back