Is It Worth It to Customize a Benchmade?

Hey knife lovers,

Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra money for a custom made knife from Benchmade?

I am a fan of the Crooked River, and I have both the regular and the mini. I don’t have any major issue with the S30V, but the idea of having one in S90V, with a custom color G10 and accents, seems enticing. This is at least $310, and although this not crazy expensive, I am not sure it is worth it.

People who got a custom Benchmade? Do you regret it? Do you enjoy it and would do it again?

Your thoughts?

The only person that can be sure if it is worth it is you. If you like the customization I would say go for it. Just make sure you like the pattern of knife. It sounds like you have or have handled a crooked river so you know what you would be getting. You don’t seem like you have a problem with the price, so no worries there.

JonesE

Only you can decide if it is worth it. With that said your idea sounds like you would end up with a pretty cool knife that I am sure you would enjoy using.

Last edited:
Never had a custom or semi custom knife built. I have had 5 custom bows made. Similar principle.
If you like it. Go-for it. The value is in the eyes of the beholder. Now I would say this is not a good investment. Most likely will not get your $ back if you wanted to sell it.
Nor can I on the Bows. They generally take a long time to me make. (waited a 1 3/4 years for one of them). They where made to my spec.

Rich K.

Interesting timing. I just put in an order for a custom full size crooked river just 2 weeks ago. I have several other benchmade knives and have found that the axis lock is the best mix of strength and ease of use for me.

I also love the design of the crooked river and decided that since it is so visually attractive to me, I would pony up the cash to make the knife exactly what I wanted and it would be an heirloom kind of blade. Like you, I really dont have anything against S30V per se though I have plenty of knives in that steel already. I also dont have much against the orange accents that come standard for the hunt line, but I prefer red since I dont plan on actually using the knife in a hunting capacity...i will leave that to fixed blades.

Long story short, I think that if you really like the design but wish that you could get some more premium steel and a color scheme that works for you...go for it.

I wouldn’t do it unless they offered a better choice of premium steels.

I'd sure as hell spend anything on customizing a knife a long time before I'd sink good money into sticking ink under my skin...or worse yet, having someone shove a piece of metal through a body part.

That's just me though. I'm sure I have some ways of spending my money that someone else would view as stupid.

If you own the knife already, you have a good understanding of how it feels and functions. If it's worth it to you to upgrade blade steel or handles, it's probably worth it--as others have said. And if you order a knife to your specs, what's the likelihood you'll want to sell it?

When I was considering getting a Griptilian, it didn't take long to decide that I wanted G10 scales. The gray and blue of the standard knife wasn't for me, and S30V's nothing special.

I designed a completely black one, with M4 steel. At $20 above the MSRP of the standard knife, it seemed completely worth it to me. I've never sold a knife, so don't care what I could possibly sell it for.

When I was looking for a smaller knife, I decided on the Mini Grip. Naturally, it ended up with the same features as it's bigger brother.

I don't regret buying them.
I thoroughly enjoy carrying and using them.
Yes, I would do it again.

Last edited:
Acid/Stonewashed M4, Micarta, and titanium hardware. I'd absolutely do it again.

KJlnY2R.jpg

Is it worth it to eat lobster at a restaurant? Is it worth it to bring several prostitutes to Blade show and run around with them, acting like you’re a ladies man who didn’t just hire a bunch of prostitutes? Is it worth it to drive a Ferrari? You can’t find the answer to this online. No other answer matters other than the answer which resides within your own heart.

I have a custom CR, mini CR, and Grip. Yes, they are worth it IMO. A little pricey, but all of mine are perfect (except the edge on the mini, but that was my fault! very sharp, but just not that pretty). Just wish I would have got M4 on the Rivers, but 20cv is great too so no big deal. my Grip is in M4. All have blue G10 and blacked out hardware.

Is it worth it to eat lobster at a restaurant? Is it worth it to bring several prostitutes to Blade show and run around with them, acting like you’re a ladies man who didn’t just hire a bunch of prostitutes? Is it worth it to drive a Ferrari? You can’t find the answer to this online. No other answer matters other than the answer which resides within your own heart.

Today's winner of the interwebs. The answer always is yes.

Not that I would give any money to Benchmade, but it seems paying over full msrp for somewhat minor upgrades IMO is too much.

The S90V is enticing, but for me, if you can find one in upgraded steel for less than msrp, say at MAP, you could always have custom scales made for it. G-10 is not my thing, not sure I would pay extra.

I do love customized knives though. Hell I love customized everything. Knives, guns, cars.

Kigjw6g.jpg
XAcuQVr.jpg

The domino is next up on the custom scale list.

It's your money, but $310 for a Benchmade is a lot in my opinion. For that money, you have a lot of options.

One thing with knives, there is always something new coming out and you might actually find something you would like better. I am not so sure I would put that much into a BM, but you are the only one that can really answer that. Once you find happiness buy a second one for backup.

If there’s a combo of materials or colors that you want that isn’t produced, sure it’s worth it, you’re getting what you want

Back