Is pine resin poisonous?

I've never gotten a straight answer to this question... I know it can be mixed with honey and bees wax to make chewing gum, but I've heard people say that it was dangerous to eat, even in small amounts... any 1st hand experience?

I've never gotten a straight answer to this question... I know it can be mixed with honey and bees wax to make chewing gum, but I've heard people say that it was dangerous to eat, even in small amounts... any 1st hand experience?

I read about this a long time ago. There are differing opinions and some discussion about various species of pine. Turpentine is extracted from pine resin, so some folks think that dried resin is ok because the turpentine has evaporated. I have read about tea made from pine needles and the Greeks have a wine called Retsina which is aged in pine barrels. I tried it once. :barf:

So, to answer your question.......who knows?

I read about this a long time ago. There are differing opinions and some discussion about various species of pine. Turpentine is extracted from pine resin, so some folks think that dried resin is ok because the turpentine has evaporated. I have read about tea made from pine needles and the Greeks have a wine called Retsina which is aged in pine barrels. I tried it once. :barf:

So, to answer your question.......who knows?

I know people super heat fat wood in a stove in order to extract pine tar (ie. turpentine) and i was also aware that the greeks add it to wine... Just wanted a yes/no answer because ive never been able to find one before

Not that I've ever heard. Pine sap stops bleeding pretty well, I know that.

I used to mix berries with sap when I was a kid, so my immediate answer would be no, but maybe it could be with other kinds of pine.

I am not an authority so take this in that vein- I ate quite alot of it mixed with honey,lemon juice and bourbon as a kid. Was used for coughs and sore throats. Not sure which ingredient did the most good but I am still here...

Now I just collect it for starting fires and enjoy my bourbon straight ;)

Bill

I know that pine shavings is fine as reptile bedding and cedar is toxic to snakes.

Colubrid,
Nice name :) I am out of the hobby for now but spent years keeping them. Mostly species from the SW US. as my name implies.

Bill

I've drank pine needle tea and ate the inner bark. People make chewing gum out of it. I doubt it would be very harmful in small doses but It would probably taste like crap straight.

Anything is poisonous in sufficient quantity, even water.

Pine nuts (from Stone pine) are the only thing from Pine that could be considered as food. Norfolk Island Pine (the upside down Xmas tree) is toxic. They make gum and needle tea from various pines, as has been mentioned. Pine sap contains Turpentine and the extracted and boiled stuff (Stockholm Tar) will make you pretty sick if eaten. Some people are allergic as well.
All in all, not really poisonous, but with the exception of pine nuts, not very pleasant either.
Perhaps a "survival situation" food in that it would take away the aftertaste of drinking your own urine. (If you're Bear Grylls)

I know people super heat fat wood in a stove in order to extract pine tar (ie. turpentine) and i was also aware that the greeks add it to wine... Just wanted a yes/no answer because ive never been able to find one before

The Greeks don't "add" it to wine on purpose. It's a byproduct of aging their wine in pine barrels. Most other countries use oak.

Out of curiosity, I googled the subject. There does not seem to be the clear cut answer that you are looking for. I suspect that the small amount pine resin that you would be chewing would not be harmful
unless it's from one of the species that is listed a toxic.

I've drank pine needle tea and ate the inner bark. People make chewing gum out of it. I doubt it would be very harmful in small doses but It would probably taste like crap straight.

Yea that is why I would be shocked to hear it was bad. I use Eastern White pine.

IMG_0398.jpg

and spruce.

IMG_0395.jpg

This is Hemlock.

IMG_4523.jpg

Granted there are plants which some parts are good and others bad.

Last edited:
Pine sap is used in the wilds here in Alaska to kill mosquitoes by heating it on top of a stove. Used to kill worms in sled dogs. Used as an antiseptic and bandage on wounds (so kills germs). Even though people can and do eat it for various reasons, it is a low level poison. But so are many foods spices drugs we consume. Potatoes are in the nightshade family, and the leaves and green spots on a potato are poisonous for example. The very young, the very old, the weak, and those who might be allergic would feel negative effects first.
Tea that taste ok, is made from the young tender new spruce needles that has more water in the sap. It has no nutritional value, though the needle tea has vitamin C. In an emergency situation no value would be gained from eating spruce pitch.
Speaking from the postion of living 35 years alone in the Alaska wilderness living off the land.

Pine pitch isn't poisonous in respect as some other plant resins can be but it's consumption isn't recommended. Pine pitch is a wonderful material which can be used for many utilitarian things such as making glues, etc. but it also has strong medicinal qualities as an emetic (induces vomiting) & is given for such a desired effect. Although the needles can be chopped & SIMMERED for tea (an excellent source of Vit.C), boiling will leach out the resin producing a more bitter & strong turpentine taste. Consumption of a strong boiled tea or just a pea-sized piece of the pitch WILL give you a stomach ache in short order followed by vomiting. I'm speaking from experience here as one who not only has studied & applied primitive medicine for much of my life but who has also experienced it effects more than once. Don't try it unless you want everything to come back up. Hope this helps.

great info in this thread!

Many things that may seem okay are totally toxic. You can eat cherrys off the cherry tree but the leaves contain cyanide

I eat the inner bark of white pine once or twice a month. I also make a tea from the inner bark and occasionally the needles. There are numerous benefits. Just search white pine bark uses.

That being said I don't cook food directly over pine. Also, it is worth noting if you use pine for a smudge in a shelter it will kill insects where other smudges such as cedar drive them away.

Willow Haven Outdoor has an article on six trees you should know which includes pine. I linked that article to my blog and added additional info including how to harvest the inner bark if you are interested it is here.

Back