• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Is Red Scorpion 6 a Fraud?

There are 3 kinds of law: legislative law, bureaucratic law, and judicial law. Back in 1890 Congress passed a law effective from 1891 on that says everything imported has to have the country of origin permanently marked on it. That's legislative law. It's still in effect, but the letter of the statute just says permanently marked; it's up to bureaucratic law to define exactly what permanently means. Recently the Customs bureau reinterpreted that and decided a sticker is good enough.

Of course the stickers never get taken off before the customer sees them. That would be inconceivable.

I wish this china junk story would have come out while he was still here, would have made for some entertaining meltdown threads. Like the one where a dinner plate sized chunk blew out while chopping green wood. Or maybe it did, I just missed it?

I didn't realize the knives he sells are made in China until right at the end, about the time he got banned. I might have been a little slow, I don't know.... :eek:

After reading about this guy's behavior here on BF, I sent Redscorpion6 an e-mail requesting to cancel my pre-order for the Raven WSK.

There are 3 kinds of law: legislative law, bureaucratic law, and judicial law. Back in 1890 Congress passed a law effective from 1891 on that says everything imported has to have the country of origin permanently marked on it. That's legislative law. It's still in effect, but the letter of the statute just says permanently marked; it's up to bureaucratic law to define exactly what permanently means. Recently the Customs bureau reinterpreted that and decided a sticker is good enough.

Of course the stickers never get taken off before the customer sees them. That would be inconceivable.

Well said. I thought where its made should be etched on, even if its under the scales. I dont think RS-6 is a fraud, i just think they need to make it clear where there stuff is made. Plus i am not a fan of 440c. I read the new ones from rs-6 are a carbon steel maybe they will be better? You cant beat a custom though, imho.

ITS NOT 440C!
Its 9cr13mov, still a good steel.
The new stuff is sk-5, which is like 1085.

His stuff doesn't look to bad, its just its worth $60 not $300.
Plus the way he does buisness drove me away.

imho $300 is wayy outta line for those knives, some awfull nice FB's around for that kinda dollar, with decent steel, etc, but hey if ya like 'em, & it works for ya, its all good i suppose.

how long until we hear from Redscorpion6 trolls, think he'll make an appearance again? All i know is to charge that kinda money for a chinese made knife is insane... i can buy a bag full of great production knives both foreign and domestic for that kinda money...
i'm still scratching my head about this guys marketing...
ivan

The Tracker style knives are not a design that I care for, but I always heard that the Red Scorpion knives were decent quality. However, even if I did like the design, Aaron's actions on Bladeforums have turned me off of ever wanting to deal with him.

I like the beck style knives and will continue to purchase from RS6.

Funny how the passaround for his knife got great reviews but now that he has been banned his knife is junk.

Did you know where the knives were made all along, or did you find that out afterwards? Do you condone dishonesty, trolling and spamming on the part of a "knifemaker"?

Regards,
3G

Found out afterwards as I did with many outdoor purchases. I don't know the whole spamming story. I was just focusing on the knife, price, quality and customer service.

Funny how the passaround for his knife got great reviews but now that he has been banned his knife is junk. Many people (notable members) have put great reviews on here that actually own or have touched the knife. It functions great and keeps a great edge. Some guys just join the "bash" band wagon" without knowing anything about the knife. The handle scales are actually micarta and not pakkawood.

Actually the truth is that some people actually care about misrepresentation and lies.

What is the advantage to that blade shape? Seems like it would make sharpening a bit difficult.

What will that do (other than catching the eye of a buyer) that a traditionally shaped blade will not?

It seems that a lot of gimmick knives employ odd or visually striking shapes. If I were to make a knife solely for the purpose of raking in the cash I would use a blade shape that caught the eye. It would look like it had a purpose even if the curves added nothing to the utility.

It seems that that shape is used on knives marketed to survivalist and outdoors type folks. If I was that kind of fellow I would keep my blade simple so as to make sharpening and field care easier. I would want less rather than more.

The Tracker style of knives were designed around wilderness concepts of Tom Brown and developed over the years. They are specialized and it would take study/reading about their use by the designers and developers to understand them.

As you say, though, people do go out into the wilderness and succeed with the more basic designs quite nicely. Training trumps technology. :)

Ya,he refused to answer me where they were made when I asked.I don't care to purchase knives made in Asian Countries,Chinese knives don't interest me,especially for that price.He said he couldn't tell me where because of some agreement with the manufacturer.He wouldn't even tell me if it was a Europeon Country because he said it would give away the Manufacturer.I knew then he was just hiding his pos knives are made in China or some other low quality producing Country.As a matter a fact I would be suprised it is Legal to import product not marked with the Country of manufacture.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss all Asian made knives.From my experiences,I've come to the conclusion.....

China=Mostly Crap,with some exceptions(like Byrd)
Tiawan=Not Bad.better than China
Japan=As good as(sometimes better)USA,German,Swiss made

What is the advantage to that blade shape? Seems like it would make sharpening a bit difficult.

What will that do (other than catching the eye of a buyer) that a traditionally shaped blade will not?

It seems that a lot of gimmick knives employ odd or visually striking shapes. If I were to make a knife solely for the purpose of raking in the cash I would use a blade shape that caught the eye. It would look like it had a purpose even if the curves added nothing to the utility.

It seems that that shape is used on knives marketed to survivalist and outdoors type folks. If I was that kind of fellow I would keep my blade simple so as to make sharpening and field care easier. I would want less rather than more.

A PDF version of the manual which now comes with the TOPS version, and explains the reasoning and uses of this design, can be found here...
http://trackertrail.com/trackerknife/TrackerKnifeManual.pdf

The Tracker style of knives were designed around wilderness concepts of Tom Brown and developed over the years. They are specialized and it would take study/reading about their use by the designers and developers to understand them.

As you say, though, people do go out into the wilderness and succeed with the more basic designs quite nicely. Training trumps technology. :)

markksr said:
A PDF version of the manual which now comes with the TOPS version, and explains the reasoning and uses of this design, can be found here...
http://trackertrail.com/trackerknife...nifeManual.pdf

Thanks, I will have to read that pdf and I will probably google some to see what is up.

It seems to me that simple is often better. I do not like products that are overdesigned. I have redesigned a few products where I work and removed superfluous and unutilized features. I had one engineer a bit angry when I was sniffing around asking what some extra curves and garbage were on a product. He swore up and down that my simpler design would not hold the weight that his bloated one would. He was proven wrong.

I wouldnt give him my hard earned money. thats all I am saying.....last time I got all worked up amd showed my ass :)

Back