• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Is Scar blades still in business?

Hi all im new to the forums but started this because i figured you all would know more than myself.
Does anyone know if Scar blades is still in business? I really like their "poppa bear" knife. Their site shows 2022 date at the bottom and when i call they have an answering machine message but other than that it seems like a ghost town.
So far no replies to my calls and all their posts are old and the site is really painful and out of date and doesnt explain much.

Hi all im new to the forums but started this because i figured you all would know more than myself.
Does anyone know if Scar blades is still in business? I really like their "poppa bear" knife. Their site shows 2022 date at the bottom and when i call they have an answering machine message but other than that it seems like a ghost town.
So far no replies to my calls and all their posts are old and the site is really painful and out of date and doesnt explain much.
I wouldn’t take that date change as any indication. A lot of web hosting companies will do date changes automatically. What’s more telling is that none of their distributors are still active. On their dealer page, none of the .com companies have an active website. Frankly, I’d be pretty damn Leary about this company. I’ve been in the hobby for a decent amount of time and I’ve never heard of the company.

No idea if they're still in business, though I just read from an Amazon reviewer that the company was apparently formed by a couple guys from TOPS Knives. How accurate this information is, no idea, though I saw one model that was very similar to a TOPS in its design, and apparently they're pretty fond of 3/16" stock, as well as differential tempering, so they have the ear marks of TOPS-trained knife makers. But a small company like that, with little name recognition, during the pandemic -- certainly a decent possibility they went under. Too bad, they had some interesting handle designs...

I worked with these two gentlemen and helped them with their website however, their marketing was all over the place. I wrote many of their really great knife descriptions! They made REALLY excellent knives and some of their design were exceptional. I still have my Papa Bear and it is a real work horse survival tool and out performs many of the much larger offerings with a wider degree of versatility. The other one I liked a lot was the Archangel - a really unique design for a self defense fixed blade. I watched over the years as their business shrank and now their website is shut down. If you can find one of their products I suggest picking it up. Im not sure if I would ever sell my Papa Bear!

I worked with these two gentlemen and helped them with their website however, their marketing was all over the place. I wrote many of their really great knife descriptions! They made REALLY excellent knives and some of their design were exceptional. I still have my Papa Bear and it is a real work horse survival tool and out performs many of the much larger offerings with a wider degree of versatility. The other one I liked a lot was the Archangel - a really unique design for a self defense fixed blade. I watched over the years as their business shrank and now their website is shut down. If you can find one of their products I suggest picking it up. Im not sure if I would ever sell my Papa Bear!
Im actually the son of one of the men that worked with these knives. My dad actually gave me a few and they work really well. He doesnt really work with the business though anymore I believe.

Hi, I am the son of a man that worked in that business, and I dont believe they are still open, but I can always ask my dad about any questions you may have!

Back