1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Is the Skookum Bush Tool all that...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Uncle Timbo, Aug 7, 2019.

1. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah that's ridiculous. I defiantly wouldn't go through all that. :p

2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Been there. I have been on a few makers books and never received a knife. I am guessing I was lost. It gets to a point your so frustrated, you don't even want it anymore. I think this is why most close their books to keep things manageable and reasonable time frames.

Uncle Timbo, Standard78 and Quiet like this.
  3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    LOL You're a bad person, and I hope you feel bad.

4. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I had one. I liked it well enough, but not so prized that it was unexpendable when I needed cash. The positive is that I sold it for what I paid, and that they show up on the secondary market frequently enough should I ever contract Skookum fever again.

Uncle Timbo and Standard78 like this.
  5. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2012
    I’ve owned and sold well over a dozen of them. They are good knives.

The price from the maker runs approximately $245-$275 with a 5+ year wait. You don’t pay anything up front.

Secondary market is pretty high ranging from about $400-$500 depending on condition and steel. They generally move fast, although the demand seems to be down right now for them.

I have mediumish hands and the handles fit well. This is subjective of course.

I see 2 problems that may be of concern to potential buyers:
    1.) The traditional sheath BLOWS! It is designed to be a neck knife I believe. The sheath does not have a belt loop attachment. Very heavy for a neck knife. Many people fabricate a belt loop or dangler set up.
    2.) It is handle heavy! I find it a bit odd in the weight distribution.

So in conclusion, they are a good solid deal if bought direct from maker. If bought on the secondary market-if it floats your boat and scratches the itch=go for it!

I don’t currently own one. I’ve moved away from Scandi grinds. With that said, I think that I have 4 on order and should be up within the next year!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Apocryphiliac and Uncle Timbo like this.
  6. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Knives are worth, what someone wants to pay for it.
    If the Skookum sells (and it obviusly does), its worth it to some.

The knives are no doubt very nice. I like the no frills design.
    I wrote the maker years ago in order to get on the list. Never even heard back. Refuse to buy them at secondhand prices. Lost interest. There are shed loads of equally nice and nicer knives out there for that kind of money.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  7. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Have you actually been in contact with Rod? Dude pulled a total ghosting on me three years ago now.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  8. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2012

No I have not. I knew that his wait list was that long going in. I haven’t paid anything so no money lost. If they come=Great! If not, i’ve got plenty of other sweet blades to keep me going a while!

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  9. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    What drives the demand for these knives? Urban legend?

I became mildly interested only because others were so interested. But I don't see anything -- either in performance or aesthetics -- that is exceptional. A YouTube reviewer put one through some whittling paces, but it performed like an ordinary knife. And there is no way I'm going to hang a knife that big off my neck.

Maybe being able to buy one for $275 and flip it for $500 is the attraction, but I still don't see why anyone would buy one for $500.

10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    That's still a ridiculous price. Cpk fk or edc goes for less on the secondary market and offers much better of just about everything imo.

I've never seen one of these skookum knives in person but after reading this thread and seeing what these sell for, I can say that these are definitely not all that. There are far too many reputable makers giving you more for less than to support this guy. Just my opinion of course.

Uncle Timbo, Standard78 and Quiet like this.
  11. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Never handled one but as many times as they’ve come up and as many times as I’ve looked at them online I’ve always scratched my head as to why someone would pay that for what is essentially a tool that no one, not even buschcrafters, need. The only thing that makes sense is that they’re a collectible.

Most bushcrafters go out with a set of tools no one would carry outside this hobby simply because the hobby demands it. The hatchet, or 3/4 or even full frickin sized axe:rolleyes:, that they lug around and the pocket knife they carry will do everything. At a certain point the gear is more toys than necessary items. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s a fun hobby but it is play and not any kind of self reliance or anything like that. If it were they’d do more with less and not kitchen sink it. My opinion.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  12. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I was fortunate enough to buy a very late model prototype directly from Rod Garcia at a DirtTime event in Wyoming a few years ago.

I later ordered and received a custom model for my sons birthday.

I haven't spoken with Rod in a while but I know this, his knives are extremely well made, extremely hard to get and are worth far more than he charged for them. I won't ever sell mine.

Unlike quite a few so-called knifemakers he refuses to take deposits, for that reason alone he deserves a great deal of respect.

Even when people were flipping his knives for double what they paid he refused to raise his prices other than small, incremental amounts to offset increased prices of raw materials. I think his take is/was that anyone willing to wait 2-3 years to make a couple hundred bucks from his labors wasn't worth worrying about. He will refuse orders from people he knows are flipping his knives but as far as I know he's never done anything more about it.

What some or maybe most of his potential customers don't know is that Rod runs a ranch in Montana in his spare time. He's never, to my knowledge been a full time knife maker and that's reflected in the very long wait list times.

As far as the whole Skookum/Mors Kochanski connection, last time I checked Rod explained it on his website. For what it's worth, Mr. Kochanski himself has called the Bush Tool the best realization of what he considers the perfect bushcraft/outdoors knife. His opinions still carry a bit of weight in the bushcrafting world.

Lastly, the sheaths, which are also made by Rod have a specific reason for being what they are. They're designed to be worn around the neck with a cord or strap and intended to be carried on the outside of potentially heavy winter outerwear. Like the Inuit and other people who work outdoors in cold weather do.

I made a braided deerhide strap for mine which combined with the sheath makes a very nice package, easy to carry, easy to access regardless of whatever else I'm wearing.

They're not for everybody but like a Chris Reeves Sebenza there's no better example of a knife made that fulfills the designer and makers intent.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  13. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    Given your stated lack of knowledge or experience with the knives in question, one might think you're talking thru your ass...again.

14. Standard78

Standard78 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Funny.
    I have experience with the Skookum Bush Tool and I concur with Craytabs opinion.
    The fact that you chose to single out his post shows that you have a personal issue with him so why don’t you take this nonsense to W&C where it belongs.

15. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013

He impugned someone I know to be a decent man in this forum, he gets called out in this forum.

16. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    And just to be fair. Given that his "opinion" was based on zero personal knowledge and you claim to have personal experience with the knife and maker, I'd be curious as to what you agree with specifically.

17. Standard78

Jun 25, 2015
    So you’re trolling him because he hurt your friends feelings?

That’s mature.

craytab likes this.
  18. Standard78

Jun 25, 2015
    I agree with both of the paragraphs in his post.

craytab likes this.
  19. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I'd like to know exactly what this knife does well that many others don't.

It's admirable that Rod doesn't take a deposit up front for a knife that won't be delivered for years -- if ever. That practice shows integrity in my book. Although his lack of communication would worry me.

The Skookum looks to me like a well made, but pretty ordinary bushcraft knife, fairly priced by Rod. But what we're trying to figure out is whether the huge premium charged by flippers makes any sense.

Personally, I don't think there is any such thing as the best bushcraft knife in the world. The "bush" you're operating in will usually require some specific attributes of your knife. I live in the rain forest. I carry a different knife than I would in the high desert or in the Arctic.

I would hate the sheath because I don't want to dangle a knife that big off my neck, but maybe for the Inuit it makes sense.

Rod's website, last updated a decade ago, advises new owners that the knife they receive will still have a wire edge. To me, that's not the proper way to deliver a knife, especially to someone whose waited years.

The steels he uses are well known. He grinds his Scandi edge a bit more obtuse than most, but I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Mostly, I don't see this thread as being about Rod. He sounds like a super clever, super busy guy who makes a good knife and doesn't communicate well. I just don't see any evidence that this knife is the best in the world nor any evidence that makes it worth the price flippers are charging. Other companies have knifes out that follow Mors' design recommendations. Can they really be that different from the Skookum?

Quiet, Uncle Timbo, 353 and 1 other person like this.