Is there a multi-tool that has a screwdriver built-in for prescription glasses?

I was wondering if there is and what multi-tool that is that has one of those screwdrivers that is used to tighten the screw in people's glasses? I'm tired of carrying around my glasses screwdriver just in case the screw loosens up during the day. Thanks.

The Leatherman Micra and Squit have nice little screwdrivers for eye glasses.

The new full size leathermans have really small screwdrivers. I find that they are to small for even eye glasses.

Were you thinking of a full size tool or a key chain type?

It seems that the screws for glasses are getting smaller. The small flat driver on my Swiss-Tech Utili-key works for some glasses, but the smallest drivers on the other large and keychain multi-tools, like the micra and squirts I have, are just too big for my eyeglass screws. Even the mini driver for the SAK is too big for mine. You might try just a dab of threadlocker to hold 'em tight.

Lots of SAKs have eyeglass screwdrivers, that fit into the center of the corkscrew. No multitools that I know of though.

I'm constantly called upon to repair co-workers' glasses with my Leatherman Micra - the small screwdriver is about the same size as the Victorinox SAK corkscrew insert driver:)

Leatherman Surge, Charge, Charge XTi, Wave, Blast, Micra, most Juices and Squirts

Here's a photo with the Leatherman Micra(mine's been bent), Swiss-Tech Utili-key, and the small driver from my Leatherman Wave. The Utili-key is the smallest and just barely is able to fit in the screws on my eyeglasses, the others are just too wide/thick to fit. I didn't have my SAK mini-driver handy, but it's close in size to the bit from my Wave, and the Squirts is similar to the Micra. You can find a Utili-key for under $10, Target carries them. It hides on your keyring until you need it. The only problem with the Utili-key is that it's a really short driver, and if the screws on your eyeglasses are recessed, it might not reach. The screws on mine are at the arms and nosepads, so it works for me.

Attachments

• miniscrewdrivers.JPG
    miniscrewdrivers.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 108
My Leatherman Blast has a small but driver that's the perfect size for my eyeglasses screws, but I don't use it for that because my eyeglass frame is titanium and when necessary I have to get them professionally tightened.

Leatherman Surge has one of the smallest & Leatherman Micra has a somewhat bigger screwdriver which fit most eyeglasses screws. I would recommend the Micra (with scissors) since you can use it as a key-chain too.

I have used the small screwdriver on these multitools to tighten eyeglass frame screws:

original Leatherman PST
original Leatherman SuperTool
Leatherman Juice CS4
Swiss Tech ScrewzAll

The screwdriver/can opener on the SOG PowerLock S60 is too large, so I carry the ScrewzAll whenever I carry the PowerLock.

I just bought a Commando Pro Series 121-SDPM precision miniature screwdriver set for about $13 US from Radio Shack:

http://www.commandoproducts.com/compg7.htm

It is aluminum, pen-shaped, and the 5 bits store inside the handle. It comes with a pocket clip and is made in USA. Commando is the company which specializes in making screwdrivers small enough for eyeglasses.

Radioactive said:
What do you guys think is more useful on a multi-tool - scissors or pliers?

It depends on what you are going to use the tool for.

I find that for a EDC (Evert day carry) tool scissors are more useful.

I like tools with both like a Juice S2 that have both

Let us know what you get

Radioactive said:
What do you guys think is more useful on a multi-tool - scissors or pliers?

Defintely pliers. Scissors are for cutting, and since just about every multi-tool has a blade, you can use that to cut for most jobs instead of scissors. But blades cannot substitute for pliers.

Forget the Multi tools.

Get yourself a Victorinox SAK and buy a Mini-Screwdriver for the corkscrew. It's like $3.50 if I remember correctly for the screwdriver and just take your pick of SAK's.

Some SAK's come with it already.

sak light it has an led plus mini eyglass screw driver I have glasses and it works perfect.

James Y said:
My Leatherman Blast has a small but driver that's the perfect size for my eyeglasses screws, but I don't use it for that because my eyeglass frame is titanium and when necessary I have to get them professionally tightened.

Uh ? What's the titanium in the frame got to do with a stupid screw in a hinge ? It doesn't matter what your frame is made of, titanium or gold, tightening a screw is tightening a screw right ? I think they're ripping you off.

Back