Is there an SnG with an ALL TITANIUM handle???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the weakest link is the most crucial part of the chain.

I see the sebenza, and WHAT I see is that the weakest link is the screws... but what can you do about that... except buy a Lochsa... Compared to the rest of the knife, the screws are about the only thing that could BREAK. However, I own a seb and can test it as I please..

However,

I see the SnG and what I see is this funky piece of g10 where there COULD be a piece of Ti... After you drill all these holes (screwholes and grip) in it and cut it up there HAVE GOT to be several weak points in this (basicly plastic) handle.

1. Am I right?

2. Is there an ALL Ti handled SnG?

I do understand your concerns, but, high quality G10 is an extremely tough material, its laminated, multiple layers, which gives it great strength, kind of like Kevlar, one sheet of kevlar wouldnt be strong, but when you have lots and lots of layers, it is very strong. Having just received an SnG, and having looked it over and played with it, i honestly cant imagine the G10 ever being a problem. G10 is not really plastic, but even if it was, Glocks use a frame made of plastic and this frame literally outlasts any steel frame made, it basically lasts forever. I understand your mistrust of non-metallic handles, but i think its a bit misplaced with the technology thats currently available.

The blade will snap before the handle anyways, Ti or no Ti.

oh, what about the SnG1?

OK OK... accidents happen.... I feel like I could drop my sebby and *accidentally* tromp on it. Is the G10 not more brittle??

I don't think there are plans for an all-Ti-handled SnG.

You would be hard-pressed to break that slab of G-10. I suppose if you beat on it with an axe or maul it would split, but dropping it and tromping on it, not likely.

I think the specs on G10 are 55,000 psi break strength . . . anyone who has worked with it has no doubts as to its durability . . . it is tough as nails!! (No wait, nails ain't that tough!):D :D

The Makers & Manufacturers Forums in the Strider Knives Forum area here at BladeForums.

I asked for a custom built SnG with an all Ti handle a while ago. Maybe Strider is thinking about it, or maybe not, I don't know. But I do have a SnG and that G10 handle side is tough. As mentioned above, I don't think you will break that G10 before busting up the blade first. Just my opinion, though. Tell you one thing, with that tiger striped S30V Blade & the green handle G10 with the anodized camo Ti frame my SnG has, I like the looks of it very much! G10 or not, it is one tough cookie! :)

jefroman...so you're saying that G10 is equal in strength in every way to titanium???

mschwoeb... THANKS for the link! super groovy!

So.. is g10 MAINLY used to make it lighter??

I'd like to ask the Strider dudes, but I'm interested in KNIFE peoples views not STRIDER Peoples views. People are TOUCHY about these things. I'm NEVER gonna shoot my knife. It does not matter if it's bulletproof!

I mean like twisting and pressure on the handles (like steping on it).

I don't think a sebenza could withstand a REALLY GOOD tromp. I mean a jumping from tier to tier MOUNTAIN jump. I think it would break the screw on the back portion. I also think that if you put a screw/spacer in the lanyard hole it would SIGNIFICANTLY improve the ratio of weight AND impact it can handle. In fact, I ordered a screw/pin and extra stop pin bushing to solve any problem that this might cause... AND I'll have and extra stop pin/screw should I ever need it "in the field."

being a sebenza guy...maybe I'M the one who's biased??? Or maybe it's Chris Reeve?

Folders exist for one reason only, and that is convenience.

If you want all out strength, and you know beforehand that your going to be out on mountains(which it sounds like you do) jumping on your knives, why not just get a small Busse FB knife and be done it?

Well, i make no claims that im not a new Strider fan, because having just received an SnG, i really like this knife, BUT, i will say that i think the choice to use G10 only on one side of the knife must have been, at least in part, for looks, to make the knife different and thus appealing. I think ive heard it said it also gives a better grip, having one side G10 and the other Ti, cant comment on that. But, i will reiterate that G10 is very tough stuff, i cannot imagine it breaking from any remotely reasonable impact, in fact, arguably, it may resist impact damage BETTER than metals because it has a little "give" built into it and will give, bounce back into shape, instead of break or bend as steel might. This is the secret to the longevity of the polymer Glock frames, they dont experience the inevitable metal fatigue because they absorb the impacts, not resist them.

Mick hates the feel of an all metal handle. Thats why the SNG is half g-10. It also keeps costs down.

Originally posted by Turbo man
Mick hates the feel of an all metal handle. Thats why the SNG is half g-10. It also keeps costs down.
And there you have your definitive answer. Thanks Turbo man. ;)

" (like steping on it). "

Hmmm...
I didn't have a lot of time to step on it....so i laid into it with a sledge hammer!

Knife works great!

m

Attachments

• dscf0029.jpg
    dscf0029.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 98
Back