It arrived today

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
My matching Dave Kelly Fighter, that is. 9 inch clay hardened blade made of W2 steel forged by my friend Don Hanson, and then sent to Dave for the making of of the fighter to match my previously posted Dave Kelly hunter. They are an exact match (as close as you can get Stag to match) from the guard back on both knives. I am really pleased with the out come of this project, and my thanks to both Dave and Don for making it happen. Now I have to lean on my friend Joe Paranee to get another bronze stud made and then I'll make a matching sheath for the big one.

Paul

Edited to add the last two photos:

This what the knife looked like the first day, and the handle just exploded into this many parts

Last edited:
Great stag, great knives, great set! And soon, no doubt, they will have your beautiful sheaths to peek in and out of.

Wow!Congrats!They are gorgeous down to the last detail!:thumbup:

I can't wait til' I can seriously start collecting customs.:eek:

You really have a wonderful set of knives there, Paul.....:)

Looks great. Would that be considered a collaboration between the two makers?

I would hesitate to collaborate two makers without their express intent and permission. Don did forge the W2 Billet from round stock and sent the flat billet to Dave at my request and again he came to the rescue when Dave decided his oven wasn't big enough for heat treat or clay hardening so Dave applied the clay and sent it back to Don for the hardening procedure. Dave did all the rest and I, of course helped also by watching from a very long distance and what was really helpful is I kept my mouth shut. Not once did I say "are we done yet?"

Paul

I added a couple of photos to the first post to show what it looked like the first day and also an exploded view of the handle.

Last edited:
Paul truly wonderful set of knives great stag and beutiful tempered steel the new one really has a lovely billowy (if that is a word) hamon. Great knives for a great guy. As for a stud I am sure I can get Lester to do another he likes you

That's a pair to draw to, Paul. Great looking fighter. That stag looks super. Anxious to see the pair together after you sheath the fighter (with matching sheaths). We will need a picture of that. Congratulations!

- Joe

That's some good looking stag, Paul. Hey man, do you happen to know Pat and Johnny Futch? They're kin to me and also live in Kerrville. Just wonderin'.

Will

Paul, WOW! Dave did a Great job.
I knew the hamon was good but Dave really brought it out.
Fine pair of knives!

Outstanding set Paul. Love it when two pieces complement each other so well.
You going to match the hunter sheath? I really like that one.
I'm glad I was able to get a close look at Blade.

Wow, those are great looking knives! How about bringing them to Jerrys so I can chicken eye and coonfinger 'em? Pretty Please!;):thumbup::thumbup:

Paul, WOW! Dave did a Great job.
I knew the hamon was good but Dave really brought it out.
Fine pair of knives!

Thanks again for your part in this, Don.

Dave did do an amazing job, because it's one thing to make two beautiful knives differently, but it's quite another to pull off a match this close.

WBSneed, I don't think I know Pat and Johnny.

Chuck, they will certainly be at Jerry's in October.

Kevin, I plan to try to come as close to a match on the hunter sheath as Dave did on the knife. (Dave set the bar pretty high on matching)

Thanks to all for sharing my excitement and joy with the aquisistion of this piece. I thought it would be great, but it's so much better than I ever imagined.

Paul

Last edited:
Back