It followed me home (Part 2)

Picked up two decent heads True Temper Kelly Perfect Double bit and a Bedford MFG hudson bay pattern ? I haven't been able to find anything substantial about the company or time period of this axe.

20170222_175902_zpstwwylydd.jpg

20170222_175831_zps0fz40hpf.jpg

20170222_175836_zpstja4sh93.jpg

20170222_175846_zpsvt0k82ej.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsbk2ztb31.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsffherdx9.jpg

The Bedford plant operated until 1933, according to:

The BEDFORD MFG. CO.
BEDFORD, QUEBEC, CANADA 1895-1930-1933
By Tom Lamond ©

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Bedford%20Mfg.%20Co..html

Impressive and right at your fingertips, as usual, Steve. This fellow Tom who founded yesteryearstools.com; is he still active at this? I'd personally be very interested to hear his story and background because he broke a lot of ground in searching out and compiling all that information.

Sad to hear that the Tom of Yesteryear Tools has passed away...I guess his legacy has a second life on this forum because we've all read or posted links to his page over the years. If we do get a "Manufacturing Revival" I would like to think our enthusiasm for all these once proud companies has contributed in some way to it.

3e5834e719bb11b2bff9fdda1d16102f.jpg

This stuff didn't follow me home, it was here when I bought the place. I'm all ears as to the age of some of this stuff, and whether to clean it up or leave it as is. There is more outback in the shed, I just grabbed this off the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . .
This stuff didn't follow me home, it was here when I bought the place. I'm all ears as to the age of some of this stuff, and whether to clean it up or leave it as is. There is more outback in the shed, I just grabbed this off the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Top second from the left looks like what Stanley called a veneer scraper. The adjusting nuts shown in you picture (on the Stanley at least) were used to adjust the pitch of the scraper blade which seems to be missing on yours. The other end would have a cap iron and a screw to hold the scraper blade. I've never seen one with metal handles.

Here is an example of a Veneer Scraper to compare, a Stanley 12 1/2 with a wooden sole from ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-12-...Plane-Vintage-Antique-Carpentry-/272563369812
BTW, regardless of what the seller says, the blade way short of the original.

You can find lots of information on the net for the Stanley bench plane on the right (looks like a #5). As for the little block plane... well, it's a little block plane.:rolleyes:

Bob

I'm very sorry to hear about Tom Lamond. I would have liked to vigorously shake the man's hand and thank him profusely for his efforts. He was thoroughly knowledgeable and well-versed (and immersed) in history, enough to have been able to flesh-out stories that had never been told. It's thanks to tireless pioneers such as him that we now have presto-Google producing an ever increasing crop of overly confident 'know-it-alls'. Likely as not he never admitted to (nor gloated about) being an expert and quietly kept right on digging.

I took the wife on a quick lunch date in town today. Just so happens to be an antique store next to the restaurant. They were having a 40% off sale. I got these for $2.40. I'm going to grind the jaws a little and use them for holding flat steel in my forge.

He had a selection of cast iron skillets. I got this Griswold for $19

I know this isn't tool related but it is a familiar brand for you guys. It's a True Temper spring steel longbow. I think it was made in the 1920's - 1930's.

I know this isn't tool related but it is a familiar brand for you guys. It's a True Temper spring steel longbow. I think it was made in the 1920's - 1930's.

What a great find!

US1960477-0.png

Patented May 29, 1934
BOW FOR ARCHERY
Robert H. Cowdery, Geneva, Ohio, assignor to The American Fork & Hoe Company, Cleveland,
Ohio, a corporation of Ohio Application March 5, 1929, Serial No. 344,287

4 Claims.

My invention relates to archers bows.

Archers bows of metallic material have been previously proposed for use, but the use of such bows has not been attended by success in all re- 5 spects for a number of reasons, among which are the undue weight of the bows, improper distribution of flexure in weight, breakage of the bows as sometimes occurs, and injury to the user as sometimes attends such breakage.

An object of my present invention is to provide a bow comprising limbs of tempered steel so constructed that for a given weight of steel material, a high degree of efliciency in accuracy and in length of flight of the arrow, which is projected from the bow, is secured.

Another object of my invention is to provide a bow so made as to practically eliminate the danger of personal injury and destruction of the bow resulting from breakage of the resilient bow limbs when the bow is drawn, in use.

Another object of my invention is to provide an improved steel bow of pleasing appearance, of high efliciency in use, and which may be manufactured relatively inexpensively.

Another object of my invention is to provide a bow which will not be subject to warping and which will not be substantially injured if unstringing of the bow is not done immediately after each use of the same, as is required with present day bows.

Another object of my invention is to provide an archers bow which will not emit an unpleasant metallic sound when an arrow is discharged from the bow; also, which will have limbs utilizing to the utmost the resiliency of the tempered steel, but which will not be disagreeably cold to the touch in cold weather, nor have the hard metallic surface of steel bows previously proposed for use...

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/48ce48c138bbdd0572cc/US1960477.pdf

Cool bow! Fits right in with this forum I would say....a good book about Archers in war is Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell great read.
azincourt-final_lg_zpsnhh3whzh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Steve Tall, as always.

raw

Osage outlaw - great looking dog there. They make fine companions and copilots :thumbup:

Back