It followed me home (Part 2)

Quite sure its not RKKA...

It might reveal WWII German markings ! Clean it up !

qq36bUF.jpg

4gxuhAH.png

No military marks. I think it looks like an older Helko crown. C H for Carl Helsper was stamped at the base of the crown

It doesn’t have a marked weight and there is no DIN number on it.

It does have a long bit and large eye squared in the back. It the last picture it looks like the German one could be tempered to where the CT edge starts.

They started in 1844 as the Helsper Werkzeugfabrik,then ” In the early thirties, a partner named Kotthaus joined the enterprise, and the company became known as Helko (helsper / kotthaus).” But that is all I know so far. That, and discussion here.

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/about-helko.html

Looks like A Big German Axe.

Here it is next to a CT that weighs the same or plus an ounce.

6UXWavw.jpg

p81NW0T.jpg

bMlyVGA.jpg

Last edited:
Fwiw, Liberty Tree Collectors has German surplus hafts what might fit that axe.
I bought a few, but turned out slightly too small for a 2kg axe. Beech wood also. Not optimal, but serviceable & 'Euro-authentic.
None the less, with slight mods & fitted them into some 1.5kg Russian axes.

Fwiw, Liberty Tree Collectors has German surplus hafts what might fit that axe.
I bought a few, but turned out slightly too small for a 2kg axe. Beech wood also. Not optimal, but serviceable & 'Euro-authentic.
None the less, with slight mods & fitted them into some 1.5kg Russian axes.

Thanks for the tip - I hadn't come across Liberty Tree Collectors site before.

I get a kick out of the Russian топор axes as well.

JB - Nice bunch you picked up there! I know you have been selling some on the bay, but you must have one big stack of axes stashed away based on what you post. My brother inherited a Keen Kutter from my dad which he promptly ruined using it as a wedge to split rounds with. I appropriated it to see if I could get it cleaned up - the eye is ok, but its got quite a bit of mushrooming. I educated him on the proper use of an axe and gave him a Collins Legitimus Connie that I got from you off the bay. I ask him frequently if he is treating it well which he assures me he is. He has commented that it really works well - I always tell him that yes, they do work well when they are not abused and kept sharp. I emphasised that they really don't make them like that anymore and he needed to treasure it - he has it displayed in his shop on the wall when it isn't being used. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for that one - it has done a very good job educating someone in the proper use and care of vintage axes. Now, if you had a nice E&S Maine Wedge which I will never see in my part of the country that you would like to sell, well..... I know where you could get that off your hands!

He used a Keen Kutter as a wedge and you gave him a Legitimus Connie....:eek:;) I have a super pile of splitting wedges, I always grab them when they are $1. Get him one of those and a hand sledge.

As for Maine heads, I have one up right now, and I think that one of the ones I got today will turn out to be a Maine head as well. I'll be cleaning them shortly. I have a few favorites that I'm keeping, but I do sell most of my finds. I'm an appreciator but not a hoarder.

Here are some of today's finds cleaned up. Funny thing, that Maine wedge is a Breck's Victor, but totally unlike the other one I picked up today. Breck's was a Boston hardware catalog seller, so probably had these made by different companies. The older one has to be a Maine made head.

I felt sorry for this guy when I saw all the nails in his head and had to rescue him. It's a Kelly TT that needs a little TLC.

I felt sorry for this guy when I saw all the nails in his head and had to rescue him. It's a Kelly TT that needs a little TLC.

That picture belongs in a separate thread (that already exists on this forum) dedicated to examples of lazy or desperate wedging! That's a prize winner and there's the makings of a hardware store in there. Keep an eye out for key blanks and mower blades while you're digging around in there.

Witherall on an Adirondak handle?
Yes, shown as found. I won't hold on to it, but I will admire it for a while. It has a 1915 date stamp, before E&S bought them out. I've seen later examples that are E&S heads with the Witherell stamp, but this was prior to that. The handle isn't original.

Back