It followed me home (Part 2)

My grand's get something sharp every birthday and Christmas. Sometimes just for a visit.:)

My parents don't do that for their grand kids... simply because because we've already got that well covered. In fact, there is a beautiful little leather sheathed laminated Mora #1 (with the handle even stained blue like she likes) hiding in my drawer waiting for the end of school.

That reminds me, I should take some pictures share of the hatchet my daughter found a while back. Turns out it is a lot more interesting than I initially thought it was.

Okay, grabbed a couple of pictures of the hatchet.

So back in April my daughter and I went to a vintage tool show which is where I picked up the froe and Walters hatchet I showed off in one of my previous posts. My daughter also found a hatchet that she took a fancy to. Other than a single chip and very slight mushrooming it was in excellent shape. The staple was still in the end of the handle even.
Based on the Mastercraft label I thought it was an older Canadian Tire hatchet and even if it was Chinese steel for the price it was a good buy for something for my daughter to use and abuse.

It wasn't until just recently I started tidying it up and got a good look at the stamp.

JOSIAH FOWLER CO
ST JOHN NB
Not too many hits on Google about him. A tool maker mostly associated with the ship building industry. His shop ran from about 1860-1922 with a reputation for quality. That explains why I was having such a hard time with my cheap file.

Here's a shot of it next to a 1 1/4 lb HB for comparison. I can see why it would appeal to a 10 y.o. Slim up the handle to fit her hand better and it'll be perfect.

Nice score honey. You're coming with me to the antique/flea market next time I'm going.

JOSIAH FOWLER CO
ST JOHN NB
Not too many hits on Google about him. A tool maker mostly associated with the ship building industry. His shop ran from about 1860-1922 with a reputation for quality. That explains why I was having such a hard time with my cheap file.

Very nice. I see some tools from NB makers but they are always shipbuilding related- adzes, hewing axes and timber framing tools. I've not seen a regular axe/hatchet before.

Okay, grabbed a couple of pictures of the hatchet.

So back in April my daughter and I went to a vintage tool show which is where I picked up the froe and Walters hatchet I showed off in one of my previous posts. My daughter also found a hatchet that she took a fancy to. Other than a single chip and very slight mushrooming it was in excellent shape. The staple was still in the end of the handle even.
Based on the Mastercraft label I thought it was an older Canadian Tire hatchet and even if it was Chinese steel for the price it was a good buy for something for my daughter to use and abuse.

It wasn't until just recently I started tidying it up and got a good look at the stamp.
JOSIAH FOWLER CO
ST JOHN NB

Here's a shot of it next to a 1 1/4 lb HB for comparison. I can see why it would appeal to a 10 y.o. Slim up the handle to fit her hand better and it'll be perfect.

Nice score honey. You're coming with me to the antique/flea market next time I'm going.

Here is a link regarding Josiah Fowler Co., Ltd. Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian manufactures (Like American MFG) use to make some great axes back in the good old days. I have a Western Clipper by Welland Vale that the steel is so hard it just tries to skid across it but once it is sharp it holds an unbelievable edge though.

https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioFowler.html

Is there a name on the hammer/adze head in the lower right corner. I've been looking for one and only thought Estwing made them. Thanks, always love seeing your hauls.

Yeah it's a Cheney. I'm not into that type of hammer head, but I could tell that it was neat and in pristine shape. It was $1 so I had to grab it. I've already wire wheeled it, it's like new.

Yeah it's a Cheney. I'm not into that type of hammer head, but I could tell that it was neat and in pristine shape. It was $1 so I had to grab it. I've already wire wheeled it, it's like new.
I think this is probably what you have:

Prentiss Vise Co. - Catalog of Cheney Hammers, No. 23 - 12 Pages - Ca. 1936

Bob

Stortz cooper's adze.
edit: forgot I had a before picture:

Approximate dimensions: Height 8", Length (straight from bit to poll) 7", Width of bit 2 1/4".

John Stortz Founder:
john_stortz.jpg

Company History:
https://www.stortz.com/about-us/our-history/

Thanks for looking,

Bob
images.jpg

Last edited:
That's a super cool adze! I have something similar with a rotted out handle and rusty bolt. Nice to see what the handle should look like.

That's a super cool adze! I have something similar with a rotted out handle and rusty bolt. Nice to see what the handle should look like.
Thanks.

I am not sure what the handle on mine is made of. Here are a couple of ads from other manufacturers with Apple:

I don't remember if using a bolt to attach the head was intended to allow easier sharpening or it was just some person's observation. Also, not sure how the original bit was shaped, but mine followed me home hollow ground. Right or wrong that is how I start with chisels and plane irons if they are at a point where they need it. Let me know if you want any details from my handle.

Bob

Another cooper's tool that followed me home awhile ago:

Finally got around to cleaning it. I couldn't decide what to do about the handle, so for now, it is what it is. An unsusual wedging system was used. It's hard to describe, but the metal wedges in it look almost nail shaped.

COOPER'S AXE:

H. W. STAGER
ROCHESTER

I tried to find out about the maker on the internet, but found very little. Here are my results:

"The dissolution of the heretofore-unknown partnership of H. W. Stager and D. R. Barton was announced on 12 December 1832. The following day, Stager announced his removal from the west end of the Genesee Bridge to the Globe Building just to the west. We can thus conclude that Barton entered into his first partnership with H. W. Stager after he returned to Rochester from the Hudson Valley. The Stager-Barton enterprise followed the auction of Morgan's shop and was in place for less than one year."
https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioBarton.html

Charter and directory of the city of Rochester

https://books.google.com/books?id=j...RDAJ#v=onepage&q=h w stager rochester&f=false

Settlement in the West: Sketches of Rochester

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...MDAC#v=onepage&q=h w stager rochester&f=false

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Back