It followed me home (Part 2)

GOOD friend of mine does estate sales and he lets me in day early--found these goodies today....
View attachment 948583 View attachment 948584 View attachment 948585 View attachment 948586 View attachment 948588

What a great day it must be when your friend calls:cool::thumbsup:

That (RailRoad?) tool is awesome. Mashed and beaten, used and trusted:thumbsup:
I have always liked the LAKESIDE stamp and I have a few swedish hatchets, no axes yet...I wouldnt mind rescuing one like you just did. :thumbsup:

Any history come with the tools from the estate?

I believe Lakeside was a Montgomery Wards or JC Penny house brand.
Good to know, I wasnt aware or remember, but that makes sense. I probably read it here somewhere at some point. Thanks HnS

GOOD friend of mine does estate sales and he lets me in day early--found these goodies today....
View attachment 948583 View attachment 948584 View attachment 948585 View attachment 948586 View attachment 948588

I like the little hammer head. Also, I just realized that over 4 years of hunting and roughly 3000 axes/hatchets rescued (handled or heads), I don't recall ever finding a Gransfors. The law of averages says that I should have, weird. I find my fair share of Swedish heads, but always Wetterlings/Hults/Sater Banko and others.

What a great day it must be when your friend calls:cool::thumbsup:

That (RailRoad?) tool is awesome. Mashed and beaten, used and trusted:thumbsup:
I have always liked the LAKESIDE stamp and I have a few swedish hatchets, no axes yet...I wouldnt mind rescuing one like you just did. :thumbsup:

Any history come with the tools from the estate?

Good to know, I wasnt aware or remember, but that makes sense. I probably read it here somewhere at some point. Thanks HnS

I just looked it up real quick to confirm, and it was in fact a Montgomery Wards brand.
I knew it was one of the two and was leaning towards MW, but had to confirm.

n3nvo8V.jpg

sorry for the blurry picture but this is a millers falls no.2 type LO, hey made these puppies from 1878 to 1896. i just pulled this one out of the vinegar and cleaned it up a bit (note to self wear gloves)

do you guys think we should start a catch-all hand tools thread for what's not a saw, cleaver axe or spokeshave?

I’m intending to read through this whole thread as well, I really like the randomness of the unique tools people find and then learning about their history and specific use. Nothing unique here, but a few things I’ve picked up at yard sales, antique stores, and the Bay. It’s nice to always have something on hand to keep yourself occupied on a rainy day.
jQ8H2sD.jpg

Also, I just realized that over 4 years of hunting and roughly 3000 axes/hatchets rescued (handled or heads), I don't recall ever finding a Gransfors. The law of averages says that I should have, weird. I find my fair share of Swedish heads, but always Wetterlings/Hults/Sater Banko and others.

They are not uncommon in the NW. I think the Swedes were actively working to keep a part of our timber industry business as well as supply to local hardware stores. I've found several. I know of a few friends who've found them. Plus there's the Stro-Bro branded imports and the Forest King branded imports. The Stro-Bro were for sure GB and I think the light blue Forest Kings were GB, too. They were sold by a Seattle importer in the early 70's.

I had an interesting find today.

I brought home a golf club someone was throwing away ( #3 driver I guess, I don't golf ) as I figured I could maybe tap a ball around the backyard or something.

Anyways the interesting part is that it was made by TRUE TEMPER, I had no clue they made golf clubs.

...TRUE TEMPER, I had no clue they made golf clubs.
I bought a new bicycle in the early 2000s and the frame had a True Temper decal. In 1981, True Temper was divided into two division, Sports and Hardware, as posted in this earlier thread: TRUE TEMPER timeline.

Truetemper_logo.PNG

True Temper Sports is a sports equipment manufacturing company based in Memphis, Tennessee, United States. The company specializes in OEM and consumer golf club shafts, and also manufactures bicycle forks (and tubing for bike frame builders), ice hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, baseball bats and other steel and carbon fiber products.
True Temper manufactures shafts for many of the major golf club manufacturers including Adams, Bridgestone, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Nike, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist and Wilson. Production of steel shafts takes place in the United States in True Temper's steel manufacturing facility in Amory, Mississippi. The company's graphite shafts are designed and engineered at the Grafalloy headquarters in San Diego, California.

[Wikipedia]

I bought a new bicycle in the early 2000s and the frame had a True Temper decal. In 1981, True Temper was divided into two division, Sports and Hardware, as posted in this earlier thread: TRUE TEMPER timeline.

Truetemper_logo.PNG

True Temper Sports is a sports equipment manufacturing company based in Memphis, Tennessee, United States. The company specializes in OEM and consumer golf club shafts, and also manufactures bicycle forks (and tubing for bike frame builders), ice hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, baseball bats and other steel and carbon fiber products.
True Temper manufactures shafts for many of the major golf club manufacturers including Adams, Bridgestone, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Nike, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist and Wilson. Production of steel shafts takes place in the United States in True Temper's steel manufacturing facility in Amory, Mississippi. The company's graphite shafts are designed and engineered at the Grafalloy headquarters in San Diego, California.

[Wikipedia]

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Church sale... donated $10.00. New old stock Prairie Tool Co. (Wisc.)
Model 15 Cast Iron Hand Grinder with 9.5 : 1 Gear ratio and 5 x 1 x 3/8
Medium (vitrified grit) wheel. I suspect from the 70's. M.S.R.P. $34.00.
(at that time). According to marketing this was their "best seller".

I wanted it for portability and slow speed grinding. Minty fresh ! ( i opened
the "brace" and parts list package...cannot see any prior grind marks ).
Original box.

Prairie Tool Co. 1920 - 2005. R.I.P..

Charles

https://imgur.com/a/NIRxwYN

Last edited:
Church sale... donated $10.00. New old stock Prairie Tool Co. (Wisc.)
Model 15 Cast Iron Hand Grinder with 9.5 : 1 Gear ratio and 5 x 1 x 3/8
Medium (vitrified grit) wheel. I suspect from the 70's. M.S.R.P. $34.00.
(at that time).

I wanted it for portability and slow speed grinding. Minty fresh ! ( i opened
the "brace" and parts list package...cannot see any prior grind marks ).
Original box.

Prairie Tool Co. 1920 - 2005. R.I.P..

Charles

https://imgur.com/a/NIRxwYN

Excellent score.

Thanks HnS ... I thought so also. This will be my "travel" grinder. Just
for grins I looked up replacement stones... sheesh , they have gotten
spendy ! ...and, the 5" x 1" with 3/8" arbor are tough to track.

Charles

Thanks HnS ... I thought so also. This will be my "travel" grinder. Just
for grins I looked up replacement stones... sheesh , they have gotten
spendy ! ...and, the 5" x 1" with 3/8" arbor are tough to track.

Charles
Use it sparingly I guess.
I know I would just use the heck out of it even though I know it would be unwise, but wouldn't be able to help myself.

picked these couple weeks ago and found the norlund at 1 sale I stopped at today---crazy luck--saw a sign--almost didn't stop--
dang crazy luck huh...the others from a couple weeks ago just unloading from back of truck---kinda forgot they were there I drive an outback most the time.....
DSC03736.JPG DSC03737.JPG DSC03738.JPG DSC03739.JPG DSC03740.JPG

Use it sparingly I guess.
You probably will once the novelty wears off and realise those things are miserable to use single handed.
Or perhaps you have a helper to crank it ?

Thats partly why they are abundant and usually good working shape when found second hand.

Back