It followed me home (Part 2)

If
If you ever decide to part with that cruiser, I'd love to have it.
If i ever decide to sell or trade I'll let you know first. I started sharpening it last night and i have a cruiser handle thats older than dirt so i think they are a fitting pair. Later I'll post in "what did you rehang today". I couldn't believe what i had when i saw that temperers mark! I paid ten bucks for it! This is such a fun and rewarding hobby most of the time. Other times its full of heart break! Lol. Like when whoever won that GORGEOUS Spiller with the curvy haft on fleabay a couple weeks ago. I swear i would've traded my whole collection for that one axe.

8_BFCB44_D-2_D2_F-45_A0-_A108-_B8_BB8638375_E.jpg

The Collins Co
Collinsville conn

3 lbs 4 oz. other then pitting it’s in great shape. It doesn’t say Legitimus anywhere, according to yesteryear tools it wasn’t always included

C1_C602_E1-_DF2_D-41_C8-935_B-50058_A0_F6_A13.jpg

2.5 lbs 1955 Emerson Stevens (I think)

55 behind the eye, P in front. I have found a couple sources that say the P and date stamp are connected to E&S
The Collins and E&S were thrift store finds.

5_B9_BD57_F-893_D-4_D1_F-84_CF-49_B0_CD9_E97_F1.jpg

R. King cast steel

Great shape except for the gouge. Yesteryears tools says these were made by Collins between 1830-1925.
Came to me completely stripped. Any thoughts on restoring patina? Thinking of cold bluing. Online purchase

free image hosting website
Those are some beautiful axes man. Second one down is definitely an e&s. Great finds. I notice some people talking about thrift store finds and goodwill too? Our local Ellsworth goodwill doesn't take, or sell, edge tools of any sort.

Here's a few new ones. All but the one that i filed the mushrooming on i got today. The db in front is a E&S cruiser! Not sure is it's '38 or '98. I think its a 9.
y7rA2qS.jpg

This handle!!
RK2ddwN.jpg
T3MJYHi.jpg
F2038kQ.jpg

The e&s. Never can seem to find one that has all the stamps.
T8QapRj.jpg

Stamped #2-1/2 but weighs #2-8.7oz with a 2-1/4" eye.
TBocXic.jpg

An OLD snow and neally that someone beat the ever lovin hell out of. Not sure if i can fix this one... if i took other pics you'd see how badly this was treated. Its warped, bent, bashed and mushroomed.
uFg4ddU.jpg

And the other wedge db. Can't find a makers mark just a #4.
qeOMXAN.jpg

And lastly, I'm fairly convinced this jersey never weighed 8 pounds... Do any of you know if any company ever used a figure eight as a makers mark?
gu7qOQ3.jpg

I've been super busy roofing in this god awful heat so i haven't been posting or rehabbing axes or much of anything!

My uneducated guess on the "8" is that it's just a quality control stamp. I refurbed a Kelly Perfect and it had a "D" randomly stamped opposite side of the logo.
Very cool double bit and nice handle

My uneducated guess on the "8" is that it's just a quality control stamp. I refurbed a Kelly Perfect and it had a "D" randomly stamped opposite side of the logo.
Very cool double bit and nice handle
Thanks for that idea! Your input is appreciated! Another thing i noticed on that axe is the points on the lugs are not centered. They are slightly towards the back and i found that to be unusual and possibly recognizable??

Any suggestions about the shape of the handle for this European looking 4 lbs axe? I cannot spot any maker's marks. Although, it has overlaid bit. Its length is 8 inches

Those knives are awesome, especially that butcher.
It would have to be early 1900's at the earliest,
Minus the rust it seems to be in great condition and not sharpened much at all.

I used to be a magnet for hammers---these are a small handful came home with me over the years--been doing a lot of sorting and organizing to put goodies in the new building----found my favorite ball pien hammer-has a plastic handle-weighs .6 ounces---cool huh....
then a few mini hammers--I have hundreds---I think they started to multiply likes the axes did there for a while....getting harder to find stuff up here in Spokane--but it is still there....
DSC04755.JPG DSC04754.JPG DSC04753.JPG DSC04756.JPG DSC04759.JPG

I used to be a magnet for hammers---these are a small handful came home with me over the years--been doing a lot of sorting and organizing to put goodies in the new building----found my favorite ball pien hammer-has a plastic handle-weighs .6 ounces---cool huh....
then a few mini hammers--I have hundreds---I think they started to multiply likes the axes did there for a while....getting harder to find stuff up here in Spokane--but it is still there....
View attachment 968415 View attachment 968416 View attachment 968417 View attachment 968418 View attachment 968419
I'm a sucker for hammers. I love the cross peen middle of the last pic.

Those knives are awesome, especially that butcher.
It would have to be early 1900's at the earliest,
Minus the rust it seems to be in great condition and not sharpened much at all.
1. I have found that butcher knife in dark corner of the basement next to butcher block table. Once the handle got scorched it was put aside for many years. It has probably seen a lot of Italian dry sausage being made.
2. The second one is 12" Columbia knife (17 inches total)

got one of those giant bucking wedges
I do not see that kind of wedges at estate sales. One year ago I managed to scoop up Klein&Logan. The third one (Warwood or Woodings-Verona), well, the seller sensed how badly I wanted it, :)so no deal was made.
Terrific haul.
What's the little straight claw finish hammer?
I have a little adze like that but missing its handle. What's the top and bottom of that adze look like?
My vehicle has magic powers; Yesterday I bought Heller claw hammer, however this morning it turned into Millers Falls straight claw :)

Last edited:

The axe Gods we’re smiling down on me this weekend. First I found the Falls City Kelly (4lb) at 8am at the flea market. I came home and told my wife about all the new vendors at the flea market. So we went back and then I found the Rixford 2 pound with a 19” handle. For my area (Oklahoma) I have never seen any type of Maine pattern axe. Needless to say I was very excited. Paid ten for the falls city and 8 for the Rixford. Rixford has a R45 stamp also. Then we went to a restaurant down the road next to an antique shop. We went in the antique shop first and I found the Champion Kelly Works (3.5lb) with a MK&T.RRCO stamp on the other side. After a little look on the interweb I found out it stands for Missouri Kansas and Texas railroad company! Needless to say this was an amazing Saturday for me!!! Thanks for looking!

Here's a few new ones. All but the one that i filed the mushrooming on i got today. The db in front is a E&S cruiser! Not sure is it's '38 or '98. I think its a 9.
y7rA2qS.jpg

This handle!!
RK2ddwN.jpg
T3MJYHi.jpg
F2038kQ.jpg

The e&s. Never can seem to find one that has all the stamps.
T8QapRj.jpg

Stamped #2-1/2 but weighs #2-8.7oz with a 2-1/4" eye.
TBocXic.jpg

An OLD snow and neally that someone beat the ever lovin hell
uFg4ddU.jpg

And the other wedge db. Can't find a makers mark just a #4.
And lastly, I'm fairly convinced this jersey never weighed 8 pounds... Do any of you know if any company ever used a figure eight as a makers mark?
gu7qOQ3.jpg

!
Yankee Josh here is the stamp on the Kelly Perfect I refurbished.
Mr. Killinger was the one who informed me it was a quality control inspection stamp.
[/URL]

Yankee Josh here is the stamp on the Kelly Perfect I refurbished.
Mr. Killinger was the one who informed me it was a quality control inspection stamp.
[/URL]
Thank you for following up on that. It's good to see that evidenced on al another axe. I wonder if anyone recognizes the points on the lugs being slightly to the rear? That seems a possible point of identification? I've never seen another with the points being off center like that before.
wRT26na.jpg
OGMAmzK.jpg

It seems pretty old to me. Any one recognize that feature?? Thanks!

Back