It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Almost looks like McGuire Nicholas to me.
    Even their current leather products made in Mexico are decent for the money.

2. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
  3. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    yes it does say Nicholas on the sheath---it has seen better days that blue devil axe head was in it....that knife is a pal rh38..cool scores--thank you

4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Looks like a flattening plate for oil and water stones. When it's done straightening saws. :D

Brian Rust, A17, junkenstien and 3 others like this.
  5. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    @Miller '72 , those are some beautiful "Wide Daytons"! ;)

A17, junkenstien, Fmont and 4 others like this.
  6. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Yankee Josh, A17, garry3 and 2 others like this.
  7. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Those two posters are neat. John

junkenstien, garry3, A17 and 2 others like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Nothing, absolutely nothing:(
    It was supposed to follow me home from the post office yesterday, but for some reason it got sent to a postal facility in the wrong direction, then back to the correct regional facility this morning where it made it's way to the local post office.
    It's delivered and available for pickup and I even got a package notification in my PO box, but the head postal worker doesn't like to give out packages on Saturday so I've gotta wait till Monday :mad::mad:

Why do they even give you a package notification if they won't let you turn it in and get your package yet ?
    They should just wait till Monday, but they're taunting me I tell ya.

9. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    If the Post Office is open and they have your package...huh?

10. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    I stopped at a couple garage sales and found a few neat things today.
    [​IMG]
    Proto lock ring pliers, Stanley No 84, Keen Kutter flathead screwdriver and a MAC screwdriver, as well as a pretty little Winchester ball-peen hammer.
    [​IMG]
    Stoked that I found the Keen-Kutter!
    [​IMG]

11. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Technically they're not open, they were there to sort the load of mail that arrived and put flats in people's boxes.
    They're then totally locked from 12pm till 5am Monday morning, 12pm till 5am every day but nobody works on Sunday.
    You can't even check your mail at all in this time since they had some po box break-ins last year.
    I'm so anxious to get that 19" hatchet I bought from you off eBay .

12. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Got a few new things. [​IMG]
    My favorite is the shovel. It says 42 on top of the D handle and it's immaculate. Like almost off the showroom floor clean. I'm presuming it's 1842? [​IMG]
    It has "WB" in a box and then "Sanderson best steel" 5. [​IMG]
    A Dayton TT wood slasher which, although in very good shape with oodles of temper, I bought for the haft. And some hatchets. A small craftsman on the original stick; [​IMG]
    Then an "acme" half hatchet which appears to me to be forge welded and another hatchet that has "drop forged" stamped into the cheek. I already filed and honed the acme hatchet. It's good steel! [​IMG]
    And a log rule? Loggers yard sick? Not sure what you call it but I've got one! [​IMG]
    And just one more photo of that shovel... some letters and the word "steel" stamped inside the shovel near where the rivets are. [​IMG]
    I'll make a post in the shovel thread later where it belongs. . Take care everyone!

13. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    No, not 1842 for sure. The handle loop would be one piece of wood. The '42' may have nothing to do with its production date. Or it could be 1942. To me it looks like a 1920s or 1930s tool. A top line version would be forged or welded not riveted.

Just the same it's a fantastic shovel and the part we can see is in terrific condition. I look forward to the pics in the shovel thread. It looks extremely solid. Polished and waxed it would make a dandy snow shovel. But it's made for manure.

Trailsawyer, Fmont, A17 and 3 others like this.
  14. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I don't know if it changes your opinion of the date(i mean it's age) but it is all one piece. 15594299114661336185599432060818.jpg 15594299334546020312927446766196.jpg
    That's what led me to believe it at least could be that old. Were they making shovels like this in 1942 still? For some reason I figured they'd all be socket type by then. I'm putting together the shovel thread post soon. Working on that ash handle while I've daylight left. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    garry3, Nbrackett, Mack and 4 others like this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I get the impression maybe there was a company still making old school premium farm / Garden tools like this but what do I know.
    How long is it and or it's handle ?
    The 42 could be a length / model for the handle during production.

16. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    I came across this plumb hatchet today, original permabond handle has near perfect grain and the head is tight. The sheath it came with has a tear in it, but I'd imagine it to be original as well. Either way I am glad to have found it!

[​IMG]

garry3, DOGPOUND77, Agent_H and 8 others like this.
  17. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    You are totally right about the length... it's a 42" shovel.

Square_peg, Fmont, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, Yeah, that thing is super cool. But I still think it was made in the first half of the 20th century.

ithinkverydeeply, Yankee Josh and A17 like this.
  19. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Man that shovel is cool but I would be all over that craftsman don’t see that stamp much and it’s probaly a Vaughn that true temper is sweet too.Asked about one of these yesterday and my partner stopped by with something his buddy gave him for me because they know I like axes funny how things turn up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

garry3, DOGPOUND77, Agent_H and 4 others like this.