It followed me home (Part 2)

I couldn't pass it up even though it cost more than I should've spent on it. Atkins no500 bow saw.
eZHQ9uG.jpg
Jf1JmgJ.jpg
mX16ILq.jpg
oDoatvs.jpg
kKLKTOK.jpg

I'm sure the blade has been replaced. Teeth are all perfect with even set. Now I'm off to search the interweb for an old Atkins bow saw ad. Take care!
That is a beauty Josh! The carving is in very nice condition yet, too! A nice find for sure. It reminds me of fifty years ago when cutting up wood for my great uncle Ben's cook stove ... and the mutton we would have for supper.

I thank you for that link. That's a whole bunch of fun reading that!
I find it funny how many options there are. You'd think throat depth would be the only "change" or "improvement" that could be made to a frame saw. But they specify different finishes, different cross braces, different tightening mechanisms. Really something for everyone which is exactly what they were going for I'm sure!
Even though the 500 series isn't listed as having straight grained hardwood this one does. It's really quite beautifully made. It has a 1"x30" champion tooth blade in it. Atkins offered two styles of Tuttle tooth but no champion. Anyway thanks again for linking that. I'm gonna go read some more!

It's probably not smart to upload my vices for all the world to see. But....
dXPlubB.jpg

Haha. A Prentiss bull dog no.52
t5bZsym.jpg
e7sC8iR.jpg

The Colombian is sweet! As rusty as it is the quick release works perfectly. Everything else too! It'll be smooth like butta after I get it cleaned up.
tCU8RQg.jpg

I needed both badly. My other elcheapo vice broke a long time ago and I've been struggling along waiting for the right one. $25 for the bull dog and the Colombian was FREE! Have a great afternoon!

Just picked this up. I haven’t done an axe of this sort (hewing?). It weighs 1lb, 14 oz. Any thing special I should know before I give it a go? I’m assuming the edge should be as straight as possible, and the angle of the grind should not change. Anything else? What size handle would be optimal? I tried to upload a photo of each side, but ‘twas not successful (file too large). There are not markings on it. Any idea where this may have originated?13D4D508-57CE-4091-A62F-E477798B3FF1.jpeg

It's probably not smart to upload my vices for all the world to see. But....
dXPlubB.jpg

Haha. A Prentiss bull dog no.52
t5bZsym.jpg
e7sC8iR.jpg

The Colombian is sweet! As rusty as it is the quick release works perfectly. Everything else too! It'll be smooth like butta after I get it cleaned up.
tCU8RQg.jpg

I needed both badly. My other elcheapo vice broke a long time ago and I've been struggling along waiting for the right one. $25 for the bull dog and the Colombian was FREE! Have a great afternoon!

Nice pair! That Columbian is especially awesome. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Thank you! That process has already started... it's been right under my nose this whole time and I just never saw it! My parents bought and moved into a new house 12 years ago. In the garage(unlit and filled with crap) this was all the way back attached flush with the bench. I couldn't believe it when I spotted it today! The very
same day I happened to find a regular vice at a yard sale!
Do you know what the function of this sliding mechanism is?
15691177597778719373384905078911-jpg.1200414

It's the only thing that is frozen. I've got some penetrant on it presently.

Attachments

• 15691177597778719373384905078911.jpg
    15691177597778719373384905078911.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 93
Back