It followed me home (Part 2)

I had a 20oz. 999 that I used for applying cedar siding. I LOVED that hammer! I could framed with it in a pinch if I broke the handle on my 24oz. Vaughan framing hammer.

That handle looks short, almost like a 16oz. finish hammer. My 20oz. had a long handle like a framing hammer.

I had a 20oz. 999 that I used for applying cedar siding. I LOVED that hammer! I could framed with it in a pinch if I broke the handle on my 24oz. Vaughan framing hammer.

That handle looks short, almost like a 16oz. finish hammer. My 20oz. had a long handle like a framing hammer.
That's because it's a #99 16oz finishing hammer.
Did I screw up my post ?

I think I just misread your post on fixated on your 20oz. The 16oz. Octagon is a great find. I just miss my old 20oz. - don't recall what happened to it.

I love me some Vaughan's too. Best rigging axe ever made and its not that close.

Here are my latest hammers brought back from rust and neglect.
Two 16oz Hart trimmers and a 20oz Miller Falls. I was able to save the original hafts. Been on a Hart Hammer jihad ever since I lost mine and discovered I couldn't just go buy another one.

I love me some Vaughan's too. Best rigging axe ever made and its not that close.

Here are my latest hammers brought back from rust and neglect.
Two 16oz Hart trimmers and a 20oz Miller Falls. I was able to save the original hafts. Been on a Hart Hammer jihad ever since I lost mine and discovered I couldn't just go buy another one.
Man I gotta get me one of those 16oz harts, my first hammer was a 25oz " the framer " from hart and they are a beautiful hammer.

Man I gotta get me one of those 16oz harts, my first hammer was a 25oz " the framer " from hart and they are a beautiful hammer.
Dalluge heads are pretty nice too. Made by Vaughan? The one I have suffers from a little to much wood in the haft though. Fixable yes, but we shouldn't have to.

Dalluge heads are pretty nice too. Made by Vaughan? The one I have suffers from a little to much wood in the haft though. Fixable yes, but we shouldn't have to.
Yeah Dalluge is made by Vaughan.
It's interesting that the handles on those are oversized, in my experience they not only make the best heads but also best claw hammer handles these days.
I'm sure vintage handles are even slimmer, but I haven't wanted to thin down any Vaughan hammer handles.
I'm normally quick to reshape a handle too.

Yeah Dalluge is made by Vaughan.
It's interesting that the handles on those are oversized, in my experience they not only make the best heads but also best claw hammer handles these days.
I'm sure vintage handles are even slimmer, but I haven't wanted to thin down any Vaughan hammer handles.
I'm normally quick to reshape a handle too.
Has Vaughan always made Dalluge? Here is my Dalluge, the grip isn't bad at all it's just that the haft is thick where it should be thin. It changes the balance and feel, but I admit to being very picky.

Has Vaughan always made Dalluge? Here is my Dalluge, the grip isn't bad at all it's just that the haft is thick where it should be thin. It changes the balance and feel, but I admit to being very picky.

I think they purchased Dalluge in the late 90's or something from Mr Dalluge who had started sometime in the 80's.

Boy do I wish they had done the same with Hart, it is such a shame what a laughingstock that once great name has become.

That bottom hammer almost looks like they hung it using an hatchet handle.

but I admit to being very picky
Anyone who earns a living with a hammer or other impact tool had better be picky or they will have a very short career. Repetitive stress injuries are all too common. I've seen a lot of good men go down during my 38 years in the industry.

Curved handles are common for " California " framing hammers.
:rant on:
California framers are for wood butchers not carpenters. They're for people who "hack it to fit" because they lack the skill to cut it right the first time.
:rant off:

Reactions: A17
Back