It followed me home (Part 2)

Found these at an estate sale. The hatchet is pretty interesting. I've never seen one. Anyone know about it?the eye is threaded and the handle is metal and appears to be original, but is missing something because the end of the handle has female threads and a set screw.

The cleaver is kind of neat too. It has a full, tapered tang. I couldn't pass it up
I would be interested in buying the NOSTUK AXE if you would be willing to sell it. I have the rest of the kit but missing the axe head and handle.

Pretty happy about this find. I had to buy the entire lot (everything shown) just to get the piece I wanted, but it was cheap enough to make it worth it. Local auction described it as a 'norland axe', which probably helped with the price/interest. Needs a re-hang at the least, but I'll know more when I pick it up today.

GKqCwUG.jpg

mFLyocn.jpg

I will never understand the fascination with Norlund axes. Just a second tier Mann the same as the Collins axes of the period. Like a Woodslasher. Nothing wrong with them. But absolutely nothing premium about them.

But things are worth what someone will pay for them.

Not fascinated with them, but for $30, it's a good pick up. The reason I didn't have one yet, was because I can't bring myself to pay the money they bring. That's what I was more stoked about.
There was literally $250 worth of 1/2" stretch tie alone in just one of the bins. So, free axe.

Last edited:
I'm with you. I'll buy any I find in the wild at a decent price. But I always flip them, choosing to keep better axes for personal use.

about the only norlund I'd be particularly interested in acquiring is the little saddle cruiser because the saddle cruiser just is just not a common pattern and I've always had a fascination, but i would not pay a premium.
The norlunds are the most common, and the only other vintage saddle cruiser ( double bit hatchet ) that I can think of off the top of my head is the collins that I think were made by mann as well.

I don't know what they're getting for those hatchet/knife combos, but they're sure asking a fortune for them. That one in the pic looks to be in near-mint condition. Nice score. I picked up an early Buck combo with sheath at a hawk shop not too long ago and have yet to find anything like it out there.

QoEA79V.jpg

This one came to me for christmas, i wasnt expecting much from it but it sure proved me wrong. the handle is chunky but it helps to get two hands on it. this little mini maul kept up with my husqavarna splitter quite well and i was very impressed. I would say it's comparable in "power" to a boy's axe and would be very welcome in a pack. this, the penobscot kindling axe, and a bow saw would make a very lovely small scale harvesting set.

I didnt have to touch the edge, and the sheath it comes with is quite adequate for a maul

also i may have ran it over with a truck, but hey it's fine, the handle is shockingly strong

I should do a review on that kindling axe, or just a thread on the whole shabang

I've been wanting a Keen Kutter axe for a few years now, but never been able to find one at
estate sales, flea markets, etc. So, I've been watching on eBay, and finally saw one (KK Black Jack) I thought was cheap enough at $59 with a little too much wear on the logo. But I particularly liked the handle and convex shape. The seller (collector) said it had a Keen Kutter wedge which he thought was unique to them. It looks kind of glued on the top. I haven't chopped with it yet, but it's on nice and tight, so not worried about using it. The handle seems to have lacquer on it, and I'd hate to lose that nice brown patina just to get rid of that crap.
SwededFP
FbDU7dm.jpeg

YTUFwW8.jpeg

nOiy6Io.jpeg

V7fHSQU.jpeg

Xjway0m.jpeg

I'm anxious to see how the TT and the CHIP AWAY clean up.
My goal in cleaning was to preserve the history, not to prepare them for swinging. However, the TT, with a little work on the edge, would be ready for work.
20220430_171018.jpg
20220430_171040.jpg20220430_171110.jpg
20220430_171208.jpg
And the CHIPAWAY:
20220430_215218.jpg
20220430_215235.jpg
20220430_215320.jpg
20220430_215411.jpg
20220430_215433.jpg
Here's the new one (left) compared to my best example of the axe; not much metal missing.
20220430_223551.jpg
Thanks for watching! T-A

Am I the only one shopping lately?! Here's what I brought home when a friend invited me to help one of her friends empty out his very cluttered garage:
20220512_225805.jpg
20220512_225816.jpg
20220512_225829.jpg
20220512_225840.jpg
20220512_225857.jpg
The axe and hatchet appear unbranded, so far, but a good cleaning might reveal more info. The Browning is unsharpened. Thanks for watching! T-S

Back