It`s Been A While.....

JK Knives

so I thought it was time for another "Making Of" thread. This time it`s a design from mqqn that he calls The Galley - Wag. I believe his idea was for a fishing / kitchen knife, because it`s 1/16" thick. Hopefully he will drop in to explain his thoughts behind the design. I hope you follow along for the next week to follow the progress as it comes to life.

Blank ground out, and holes drilled.

003-52.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a short, thin version of Mack's knife.
looking forward to the finished pics.

I wanted to create a knife that paid homage to the Randalls of old, yet in a "slicier" format for Galley/kitchen use.

I am thinking the best material for the scales will be Ebony - that just seems right for my new design.

best

mqqn

looks like a short, thin version of Mack's knife.
looking forward to the finished pics.

Hi 1066 -

I don't think it is all that similar to the Rule # 9 - my design is much more slender with more of an arc involved in the relationship of the handle to the blade.

Also, it does not have the exposed tang etc. My design is a lover, not a fighter!

No disrespect to Mack's design - it is awesome and I would love to have one someday.

best

mqqn

I like it. A mini Cutlass. At 1/16 it will be a fantastic cutter.
I think it will be darned near perfect. Ebony will look great on it too. I'm going to be very jealous with this one.

Last edited:
I like it. A mini Cutlass. At 1/16 it will be a fantastic cutter.
I think it will be darned near perfect. Ebony will look great on it too. I'm going to be very jealous with this one.

Thanks Mack - I can see where you get the similarities, but on my design the handle to blade ratio, as well as the fairy-shoe curve of the blade is all different. \

Also, on yours, the blade is on the right side -

DSC_4661.JPG

Where on my new, original design, the blade is on the left and the HANDLE is on the right, as shown below -

003-52.jpg

Nice pattern Andy!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!!

best

mqqn

You're right Andy.:D I had totally missed those aspects.
Love that Snakewood.

Nope - I designed this for Right Handed use only - Lefties need not apply.

:p

best

mqqn

:p, I like it, left, right, it's all good, equal opportunities and all, also, love the name :D

looking forward t the making of stuff,

Of course you should. You know that I can't use a right handed knife.

My new design is intended to be used in the Galley of me Pirate Ship here in the cornfields of Illinois.

I have asked John to round the spine on this one since I like the in my JK's lately.

:D

best

mqqn

You and one other guy I can`t remember offhand, like the rounded spines on their knives, looks clean, and if you don`t need to strike a firesteel, a sharp spine is not needed.

I strike mine with the sharp edge - not the spine - I get better results.

Of course a small bic lighter provides even better results so I can have the fire going and head for the Galley.

I think I am the only one that realy likes rounded spines, that old-school Randall style and two solid brass pins in ebony - I wonder why others don't love that - it's just classic.

I dunno.

best

mqqn

I like WIP threads, looking forward to seeing this one in progress and finished.

I like the design, but how about some measurements as to blade length and oal.

I strike mine with the sharp edge - not the spine - I get better results.

Of course a small bic lighter provides even better results so I can have the fire going and head for the Galley.

I think I am the only one that realy likes rounded spines, that old-school Randall style and two solid brass pins in ebony - I wonder why others don't love that - it's just classic.

I dunno.

best

mqqn
You aren't the only one. Remember me?
ebonycutlass.jpg

Hi Mack -

Oh yea - I remember your cutlass - I guess you have great taste!

But wait - did you have JK make a larger version of my Galley-Wag? Your cutlass was left handed and that one has the handle on the right!

Are you copying my design?????

best

mqqn

Back