It's 2017, Time to move away from powder coats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I love powder coating on my truck bed, Busse should move away from it, for the price they are charging, I feel like I'm getting ripped off by the use of powder coats.

Can you expound?

What coating would you prefer?

What benefits would be owed by the substituted coating?

It seems to me that the current coating is effective at "leveling" unfinished blades and giving them a flat, smooth appearance.

I like the coatings personally. I have figured out how to strip them, so no need for change in my opinion.
Right here- I'm not a coating person either.

As for the cost and feeling ripped I would look at it differently. There's been photos of freshly stripped steel, it aint pretty and would take additional machining steps to make them look nice naked-these thick coatings I would guess is cheaper in the end.

Personally I like the protection from rust that the coating provides as well as the cost savings of making the blade pretty enough to be an LE

Epoxy powder coatings can have excellent corrosion resistance (think rebars and pipes) but will fail in long-term outdoor exposure due to very poor UV resistance. Acrylic powders are very good for clarity, gloss, and weather resistance (wheels and topcoats), but not so much on toughness. Polyester powders can be formulated for excellent outdoor exposure; imagine the window trim on a skyscraper.

Now that you mention it, we have no idea what sort of powder coating that Busse is using on their blades.

I would love some new bare blade options to go w/ the new coatings as a second option.

Maybe have something like a "hammered flats" look or maybe a 60 grit belt finish. It wouldn't be near the amount of work/time as a LE satin and would be something new. Just a thought.

As best as we can tell, when the INFI blades come out of the Busse Magic heat treat they have some degree of decarb on the surface of the steel. Satin blades then get some significant hand grinding to deliver a superior finish; thus the higher cost. We don't know exactly what happens to Combat Grade blades, although I suspect that these receive some sort of chemical conversion coating prior to the baked on powder coating.

Even a hand-applied 60 grit belt finish to a CG blade would still add cost. One could imagine a CNC station that used a coarse ScotchBrite abrasive to clean up a CG blade without much handwork, but then we are looking at something like the Comp Finish blades that Busse dropped due to cost of customer returns.

Busse will always have coated blades. There is just NO better way to cost effectively protect a blade from corrosion with minimal grind time.
I'm not a coating guy. If I had my way I would only buy naked blades. With NO cbts.
The way I see it going tho is I better start learning to love them if I wanna keep collecting Busse Combat knives.
I do think during Op2w. they did a pretty good job at offering satin finished models for all the coated bg.
Did they offer any Le's with combat grades offered of the same model? Or only Bg &Le's of the same model? Hmmm. Can't think.

Look at it this way. It's Jerry's art. If you don't like it, move along. It's like being critical of Michelangelo because he was still painting the Sistine chapel.

There were many non-coated offerings in the last op2w and it will probably be the same this time. The prices are in line with other players in the over-built fixed blade category (miller bros, etc.) so not much to do if you want the company to pay the employees a decent wage (and hopefully benefits) and make the product in the USA. Also, higher prices will hopefully kill the flipping market someday! Most people would pay twice as much to Busse to not see a flipper get a dime :D even if they have to sell used for half the price they paid

why the animosity towards flippers? AFAIK everyone, other than ganzas and shows, has the same opportunity to buy the same knives at the same time. If someone invests money that you chose not to at the time, they deserve to make a little ?

Busse's are old school, INFI isn't a powder steel but they use a powder coat.

why the animosity towards flippers? AFAIK everyone, other than ganzas and shows, has the same opportunity to buy the same knives at the same time. If someone invests money that you chose not to at the time, they deserve to make a little ?

I agree with you if they hold on to the knives for an extended period of time. If they use scripts or other means to win limited offerings right away from others and then resell immediately it is different. Also, if they were the cause of the Custom Shop being overwhelmed that would be sad. Anyways, I can see there are other view points as well and won't derail the thread. In the end a great knife and buy many this time around all!

I'd personally like to see the cerakoted blades become a.regular option, even if without the cool patterns

I love cerakote as a finish, have it on a number of firearms and spray the air cure version myself at home on small parts and such (also have access to a proper factory booth and oven - clearly not at home). I suspect the issue with going over to cerakote totally is that (purely my experience) the cerakote goes on much "thinner" than the coatings we are use to seeing now and as a result will show many more imperfections through (think visible "grinder gremlins"). This would mean more man hours in preparing the surface for the coating and perhaps defeating the cost/purchase advantage of the current offerings. Rereading your post 'hoot I see you didn't say replace the current offerings (I just extrapolated that and if I mis-read you I apologise) but more cerakote, I agree love that finish and I generally prefer a coated blade - so win win for me !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back