It's 2017, Time to move away from powder coats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree. Sure there are some Busse's that are not very practical, but the vast majority of them are useful tools for hard use knife work. Are you saying that they shouldn't have fun with a design every now and then? I think that would be pretty boring (although I will say the BURP is not for me). In regards to flippers, those days are long gone. Most of the knives sold on the exchange are for selling at or below cost, the market is still very flooded.
There have been no popular knives since the tglb IMHO...The aftermarket was outrageous for this and still is. You see the exchange at different times then I do. Busse sends out knives with price tags, they understand value means more to people than the product itself. The flips might be more reasonable since the "2 week" warning of new blades coming out. Either way, patience has paid off and now we have the Burp

It makes it not about the knives as tools anymore.....Thats why Busse has moved to bottle opener knives and WTF's. The practical user knife making days are ending because the markets is dwindling toward collecting, bragging, then flipping

Woah woah woah, hold on there a minute. So, your telling me, that knives are tools?!?! Get the F outahere!?! :eek:

The point is that the coatings suck. Yeah we all get it..turns a $550 knife into a $387 knife. Whoo magical! So what you guna do? Its still infi underneath. Or go get some 1095 for a third and buy one every 3 years.

I think we also have to remember that coated blades have made Busse knives accessible to many. Not just financially but in terms of numbers produced. If you have a set number of smiths working in the workshop. The less process it has to go through (i.e. the sanding) the more volume they could produce for it to reach us. Giving us all a taste of Busse. Powder coat plays a large part in that. Sure there are other options but considering that they have been using powder coat for many years. I think economy of scale plays a part to keep the cost down and production rate up. I'm more partial to competition finish and satin but I still see why they use powder coat. If you don't like it you could always strip it and experiment around adding your own coating of choice on. It will be a fun bit of afternoon activity.

I can see how Satin raise the cost. Personally id love if they just send blast them instead of coating them, and sell ass is. (I guess Como finish) lol
Im sorry if some one said it already, i just skimmed over last few pages

Yeah, just remove the darn decarb... I'll take it from there! Nonetheless, I don't mind the coating if it will keep costs down... I'll strip and sand it.

Seems to me decarb OG finish people complain… coatings that prevent carb/rust buildup and people still complain... maybe it is time to offer all options and see what is next to complain about??

I prefer satin, dcbb, comp, big. in that order. coating has its place. to me, it is like a drywaller hiding poor work behind spackle when you see the imperfections hidden by the coating. cold steel would sell it as a second. How can the other knife companies sell satin knives for $60? I mean total. Not just for the finish. but the blade is satin. Bottom line for Busse is max profits. It is a business.

I like coatings. I use my knives in wet environs, usually all day hikes or multi-day backpacks. When they get wet and stay wet for that time. I've used satin INFI blades likes this, and it's a pain to clean them up to afterwards.

I like coatings. I use my knives in wet environs, usually all day hikes or multi-day backpacks. When they get wet and stay wet for that time. I've used satin INFI blades likes this, and it's a pain to clean them up to afterwards.
Wiping down your blade with a cloth, and a little oil at the end of the day is a pain? I get it if you live in the rain forest. I only hike on days when its not raining, or no more than a drizzle. INFI is borderline stainless as far as how it reacts to the elements....Which is why I like Satin for infi. Coatings make practical sense for sr101. I do like the Busse coating, and wearing it off is fun as well. I just don't see the cost savings though. If Im paying that much for a coated infi blade, I mine as well just go with a coated USA made Esee in a great 1095 steel, which needs a coating. So I will just fork out another couple for Satin, and hopefully get over the buyers regret in a short time (it is just a sharpened chunk of steel in the end). My thought process is that I will own it for life and am a sucker to USA made and quality products

Last edited:
My satin knives spend their lives out in what amounts to rain forest - trail running, hiking, and camping out in the wilder parts of Kauai and Big Island (plus trail maintenance here on Oahu). When they're not doing that, they're working in my kitchen.

Cleaning them up afterwards is not hard, even when they're soaked and mud-splattered. Ren Wax is my friend. Really the only tricky bit is making sure a bunch of grit doesn't find its way into my sheath.

I would love anything uncoated and would like to see some of the more traditional styles return. I am not into all the funky blade styles and fantasy blades (IMO) that I've seen lately. People will say "then don't buy one". Fact is I love Busse and their blades, but have not been interested in anything that's come out since they closed the custom shop..I think the fbm, ash, nmsfno, fsh, sar series, wardens , active duties etc are beautiful and functional knives and would love to see some older models like that come back. I get that they can't please everyone, but the coated fans have certainly had options for awhile.

I would love anything uncoated and would like to see some of the more traditional styles return. I am not into all the funky blade styles and fantasy blades (IMO) that I've seen lately. People will say "then don't buy one". Fact is I love Busse and their blades, but have not been interested in anything that's come out since they closed the custom shop..I think the fbm, ash, nmsfno, fsh, sar series, wardens , active duties etc are beautiful and functional knives and would love to see some older models like that come back. I get that they can't please everyone, but the coated fans have certainly had options for awhile.
BJ's are great too!:cool:

^^ yeah still waiting on those but the uncoated satin infi is on the way lol ;)

Wiping down your blade with a cloth, and a little oil at the end of the day is a pain? I get it if you live in the rain forest. I only hike on days when its not raining, or no more than a drizzle. INFI is borderline stainless as far as how it reacts to the elements....Which is why I like Satin for infi.

In my experience when they stay wet for a whole day or more, the rust does not just wipe off. Usually it's super shallow and not too hard to get off but it leaves plenty of spots that you can tell where it was. Those take some time and care with sandpaper to make those look nice again.

In my experience when they stay wet for a whole day or more, the rust does not just wipe off. Usually it's super shallow and not too hard to get off but it leaves plenty of spots that you can tell where it was. Those take some time and care with sandpaper to make those look nice again.

This stuff works surprisingly well for those kinds of spots (make sure you go with the grain, of course): http://www.jracenstein.com/category/00016DM/diamond-magic-stain-remover/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back