It's a shame what some peole do to knives!

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
So my friend and fellow firefighter stopped over my house the other day after work to ask if I could sharpen his Delica. He then hands me this........

BeatUpDelica2.jpg

I gotta tell you he really used the crap out of it for work and for his landscaping business. He was afraid to show it to me for fear that I would smack the crap out of him.

So let's your beaters. :D

Attachments

• Beat Up Delica 1.0.jpg
    Beat Up Delica 1.0.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 127
It's a useful modification if you want to loosen any screws, or flip very small pancakes.

Hey, at least he did something many people don't do.....he actually USED his knife! :) A whole lot too, by the looks of it.

Now that's what I call a user...:D

You should ask him how he ground off all the serrations. Since he's a landscaper, maybe he has been pruning limbs with it. If so, you might suggest a SAK or multitool with a saw to supplement his folder.

That is one beat up blade ! :eek:

Let's see a pic of the knife after you sharpened it. :p

Absolutly, this is a major test for anyone's sharpening abilities.

It is refreshing to see a knife that really has been used. The handle seems fine and it doesn't look like there are any hammer marks on the back. So as far as I can tell he used it as a knife untill is couldn't be used as a knife anymore.

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Listen, Ken, if you can't handle the job, bring it over, I'll sharpen it for him! ... if you think he can be trusted with a reeeally sharp knife. :D

safong

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
Man, that knife went down the maw of Hell! I'm surprised he still wants to get some use out of it. I'd get another one to torture.

Hate to say this, Collucci, but that's how my new Delica looked after my first attempt at sharpening it.

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
Boink said:
Hate to say this, Collucci, but that's how my new Delica looked after my first attempt at sharpening it.
That's sad, so very, very sad. :(

Landscrapers are the hardest people on knives I know, my buddy is a landscraper and his knives are always dull, and mutilated.

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
I've read about this new-model Delica, the one with the screw-driver tip...Thanks for the picture, so I can actually see one now.:D.

ErikD

Gold Member
You would be surprised what uses a landscaper has for a knife. I used to do landscaping to pay for my knives, and carried a Buck/Strider 880 tanto as my beater. One of the most frequent uses I had for it was cutting sod.

Never used a knife for cutting tree branches or the like. I always had a sharp hand pruner in a belt sheath, and a chainsaw on the truck. Much easier to just use one of those for cutting wood.

I like to see users, too many people collect drawer Queens, knives are to be used. :D

Used up? I think you keep using and sharpening it until there's just a little ring of metal left around the Spydie hole.

Ya think landscapers are hard on knives? That's mild compared to what many farmers do. Granted, I don't let them get that bad at one time, but have hand sharpened over a quarter inch of length and width off several knives over the course of just a few years.

But yes, it's good to see someone who's actually using their knife hard.