It's KniVes, not KniFes!

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
KniVes, not KniFes

AdviCe is a proposal for an appropriate course of action, AdviSe means to give advice to; offer a suggestion.

It's a KilN, not a KilM.

Don't even get me started on the whole "there, they're, their" or "then, than" thing... Sometimes you just have to vent. My grammar and speeling aren't the bestest, BUT THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME, DAMMUT!

Rick:p

It drives me nuts, too. I chalk it up to kids with fingers flying over cell phones and spell check. That wouldn't be so bad if they even taught basic spelling in school any more.

Lets start a list:

Wrong/right
Quinch/quench tank
Knifes/knives
Muffler/muffle pipe
Swage/swedge in a knife spine
Coil/choil
Pean & Pien/peen
Kilm/kiln

Grammer
Advice/advise
Affect/effect
virtual/litteral

And finally, the word that every youth seems to love - "Actually" .... Wrong - "Actually, Stacy on the phone right now". Right, "Despite his name's spelling, Stacy is actually a man."

Last edited:
I was raised at a time when the ability to use proper spelling and grammar were indications of having received a proper education. Although it may not be true, I still carry that bias with me.

I'm above arrogance.

I'm pretty sure I make some of the mistakes Stacy mentioned... :eek: My apologies, mam.

"I made a knife with my grinder that was so sharp it cut my hand."

Uh... deburr your grinder so it doesn't hurt you anymore. Misplaced modifier ... Another pet peeve ... same with overusing the ellipsis ... which I may be guilty of ... from time to time.

"I have a couple of knives to SALE."

It's sell, not sale.

That one bugs me.

Last edited:
Making plural's with apostrophe's. STOP DOING THAT!!!

It used to be that usually you'd see it on a rundown shop on the bad side of town telling you that they sell "tire's". Now it's freaking everywhere. And often the user will have some plurals with it and some without it in the same blasted sentence. It seems like the simpler words will not use the apostrophe, but if it's something that isn't used as often, they'll stick an apostrophe on there. Sheesh.

Now let's get back to making knife's. :D

It's spelled with two 'L 's as in metallurgist !
I'll stick with that as I had a spelling course called "progressive spelling " in elementary school. Our progressives dreamed up that and other crazy ideas.

I had a diiscussion about peening once and it seemed as if different parts of the country spelled it differently than others. ?

And ... "1084 is easy to drill, just sayin.".

What does "just sayin" even mean?

As long as I can get there drifts I realy doe'st cares how they put it as longs as they writes it and I can get there drift as to whats they is talkun about in generals that countes a 100 % ..! I a not abit picky as some did nut evens finish scholls.
it''s the thought that counts and i likes to figures things out's .! Yepps.!**

Back